News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

I have 2 weeks left with my University Library access.

Started by Requia ☣, December 06, 2009, 01:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Any suggestions for thinks I should download would be appreciated.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Every electronic version of the International Security journal.

Its actually not all that retarded, despite what the name suggests.

Requia ☣

Quote from: JohNyx on December 06, 2009, 01:36:04 AM

Any genres or subjects in particular?

Psychology mostly, particularly persuasion or political psych.  Though the international security stuff sounds kindof interesting too.

The Johnny

Persuasion and political sided psychology? Im sure works of political analysis exist, but "persuasion" itself i think its only thru derivation from knowledge or authors out for a quick buck write specifically about it.

As for an overall good psych book with practical applications:

Devereux, George "From anxiety to method in the behavioral sciences", 1967

Political ones im gonna have to think about which...
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

I'm looking more at journals than books.  Also, I try to avoid reading things published before they finally started throwing the Freudians/Jungian/other pseudoscientific bullshit artists out.

The Johnny

Are you calling Devereux's work pseudoscientific bullshit? Or was that a general remark?

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

I have no idea who he is, but he published in 1967.  Typically that means a behaviorist at best, who were full of themselves rather than full of shit.

There are a few real gems from back then, but I don't have it in me to wade through the bullshit.

The Johnny

That book by Devereux is "open/deep" interview methodology, but has very interesting ideas regarding transference/countertransference/anxiety.

And you saying its bullshit is saying the same of my opinion, because i recommended it with good intentions and you shat on me.

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

Quote from: Cain on December 06, 2009, 12:04:45 PM
Every electronic version of the International Security journal.

Its actually not all that retarded, despite what the name suggests.

I think I actually want this.  You know a better way to get it than JSTOR?

Cain