News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Getting People to Listen

Started by Nast, December 06, 2009, 10:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

I'm with Nigel.
Be the most worthless leech on society you can be.
society will make you suffer no matter what you do.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jenne

Quote from: Regret on December 07, 2009, 09:43:01 PM
I'm with Nigel.

Uh, yeah, I  don't think that's what Nigel meant, but I guess she can speak for herself.  I think her point was more about putting up with shitty familial behavior in order to focus on studies instead of all the energy being sucked into a sucky job.  But I could be wrong.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Jenne on December 07, 2009, 09:54:36 PM
Quote from: Regret on December 07, 2009, 09:43:01 PM
I'm with Nigel.

Uh, yeah, I  don't think that's what Nigel meant, but I guess she can speak for herself.  I think her point was more about putting up with shitty familial behavior in order to focus on studies instead of all the energy being sucked into a sucky job.  But I could be wrong.

Yep. You nailed it; he's 17, and if he can take some advantage of the family structure in order to focus on college, it will be easier for him to do well and put him in a better position for moving out in a few years.

"Living with your family while going to college" is not "Leeching off of society", by most definitions.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 07, 2009, 07:34:40 PM
Why is it that people who deserve them never seem to get kids as awesome as you?

Seriously though, it sucks that you're in a situation where you have to pressure your parents to behave responsibly. I am going to disagree with the majority here, though, and say that as long as you have the option of staying there for free and going to college, keep doing it. At this point, it really doesn't matter what your major is; take as many different classes as you can until you find something that you really love. Not having to work while you go to school is a huge boon; take as much advantage of that as you can.

:oops: I'm hardly what most people would consider awesome, but thank you.

And yeah, even though the thought of moving out and living independently is very nice, I'm hardly prepared to take such a big step soon. That'll need some work.
In the mean time, improving conditions at home and studying at college is what I can do in the immediate.
My parents aren't awful people; they were never abusive or neglectful or meth addicts. It's just that they never had it together, and that makes it hard for me now when I'm trying to get my own life started.

I would also like to say I appreciate everyone's input and it's made me more hopeful about my situation.  :)

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jenne

Having to play parent to mommy and daddy from a young age can do some damage.  It's not the most abusive behavior, and really, what doesn't kill you etc., but it's certainly not the best and pretty shitty altogether.

Nigel's advice sounds better and better to me, to tell you the truth.