News:

PD.com: More merciless than a statue of Ming.

Main Menu

ATTN PD.COM: I'm losing it

Started by Cait M. R., December 08, 2009, 10:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Hoopla on December 08, 2009, 06:03:25 PM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 08, 2009, 05:40:12 PM
So I never believed in ghosts until we moved into this house. We had ghosts, in a big bad creepy way. I noticed they always do the same thing in the same places, like they're just a recording of someone who used to live here. I don't think they're really interactive, or that they can do anything to you.

Then we remodeled, and they mostly stopped. Go figure!

Maybe a renovation is in order?

I agree with you Nigel, I've seen two "ghosts" (one of them on a few different occasions) and I have come to the conclusion that they are a genuine phenomena, but that they are not the remainders of people who have died.

I think they are exactly what you stated, recordings.  Perhaps the materials around the phenomena have something to do with the 'playback' feature?
I don't have any idea what these phenomena are or what causes them.
I have only one experience of it
When we lived in london, the house we were in had the sound of someone walking up and down the stairs in the evening, there were no houses beside us and you could actually stand at either end of the stairs and hear it getting louder as someone approached you. I thought it was very funny at the time, I was ten and used to run out to look at it whenever it would happen.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

So I never believed in ghosts until we moved into this house. We had ghosts, in a big bad creepy way. I noticed they always do the same thing in the same places, like they're just a recording of someone who used to live here. I don't think they're really interactive, or that they can do anything to you.

I agree with you Nigel, I've seen two "ghosts" (one of them on a few different occasions) and I have come to the conclusion that they are a genuine phenomena, but that they are not the remainders of people who have died.

I think they are exactly what you stated, recordings.  Perhaps the materials around the phenomena have something to do with the 'playback' feature?

Must... avoid... posting...

The Good Reverend Roger

My beef with the whole ghost thing is that they have to choose between interacting with the world, or being able to walk through walls.  They can't do both.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: LMNO on December 08, 2009, 06:11:26 PM

But... but...QUANTUM GHOSTS, LMNO!!!! DO YOU THINK THE WORLD IS READY FOR THEM???
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 08, 2009, 06:13:19 PM

But... but...QUANTUM GHOSTS, LMNO!!!! DO YOU THINK THE WORLD IS READY FOR THEM???

Oh, wait, forget what I said about walking through walls.  They just use the power of quantum stuff.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

hooplala

I think they are exactly what you stated, recordings.  Perhaps the materials around the phenomena have something to do with the 'playback' feature?

Don't let me stop you.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Brotep

Cait, do your best to sget some sleep, and for God's sake stay away from quantum theory and Magritte paintings.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

According to my physicist friends, it's theoretically possible. Not studied, understood, or taken seriously, but possible. I haven't the foggiest. Makes more sense than "souls trapped in limbo", though, unless you believe in souls and limbo.

I think that there is a whole lot of shit we just don't know about the world, and it will take a really long time to understand a fraction of it, so I don't worry about it too much. I didn't think there were such a thing as ghosts, and then I moved into a house that had a nasty infestation of ghosts, so now I know they exist, but have no idea why or how.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2009, 06:05:13 PM

Well, that blows.  I wanted to hang around for a couple of centuries, fucking with my descendents.

But if they're playbacks, I wonder if there's a way to fuck with them, WOMP style?

I have to admit, that's crossed my mind.  :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on December 08, 2009, 06:10:16 PM

I don't have any idea what these phenomena are or what causes them.
I have only one experience of it
When we lived in london, the house we were in had the sound of someone walking up and down the stairs in the evening, there were no houses beside us and you could actually stand at either end of the stairs and hear it getting louder as someone approached you. I thought it was very funny at the time, I was ten and used to run out to look at it whenever it would happen.

We have one that seems unaffected by the remodel, which happens somewhere around midnight on October 29, which is the sound of the front door closing hard followed by someone in hard-heeled shoes walking decisively (and very loudly) across the living room floor toward the kitchen, at which point they disappear.

I alway tell myself I'm going to stay downstairs and see what happens, but by the time that time of year rolls around again I've always forgotten. It scares the fucking CRAP out of me, every fucking year; I think we're getting broken into.

Da6s

We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Nast

These sort of things cause a nasty feedback loop in one's mind. The more frightened one gets, the more one becomes hypersensitive and paranoid, thus making one even more frightened. Being sleep deprived, you're already in a very fragile state of mind as it is. I'd say the best thing to do is go somewhere else for a bit, get some rest, and gather one's wits. If you don't have anywhere to go, try as best as you can to make your environment as non-threatening and comfortable as possible. Play some music, get cheerier curtains, close all half-shut doors, and for God's sake throw out any creepy clown dolls that happen to be lying around the place!

Regardless of whatever the phenomena may be, getting yourself to feel secure and calm will help.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, keep in mind that you might just be having sleep-deprivation hallucinations, and your housemates might be fucking with you.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Da6s on December 08, 2009, 09:09:52 PM
(look into Ball Lightning for another example of how limited our true scientific knowledge is).
Ball lightning is more than likely vaporized silicon. It's been repeated in the lab.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/01/070122-ball-lightning.html
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Dysnomia

I've had a couple experiences in my house, so I believe in "ghosts" if you will.  But I also believe a lot of "paranormal activity" can be explained away.  So I'm somewhat of a skeptic. 

While everything that I've experienced has been in my house, I wouldn't call it haunted.  They've also seemed pretty harmless as well.  The last one was even nice for a while since I had some company around the house (till it became a creepy stalker).
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif