News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

Quote from: Jenne on June 22, 2011, 08:56:18 PM
She's not that "important" of a person--not even sure why the fuck she's on Fux News and the like--they probably just like having a d-lister make drunk-sounding comments to gather ratings.
Isn't that what they first said about Dubya?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Khara on June 22, 2011, 08:38:44 PM
Quote from: Jenne on June 22, 2011, 06:46:26 PM
Quote from: Khara on June 22, 2011, 06:17:36 PM

Is that a bow in her head?  Is she supposed to be a present?  Channeling Madonna's early years? WTF?

That was her "signature" look back when she was known and noted.

In the 80's?  Please tell me that isn't recent.

We didn't have teabaggers in the 80s.  Just saying.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: BadBeast on June 22, 2011, 10:17:08 PM
She's not that "important" of a person--not even sure why the fuck she's on Fux News and the like--they probably just like having a d-lister make drunk-sounding comments to gather ratings.
Isn't that what they first said about Dubya?

No.  I knew that fucker was trouble, the moment he became governor of Texas.  When he said he was "considering running for president", I knew he'd win, the same way I know the sun will come up in the morning.
Molon Lube

Cain

Because she's a celebrity, and conservative.

That's all there is to it.  It's low grade culture war nonsense.  Like how Ben Stein imagines scriptwriters for big name TV shows smuggling in Conservative Memes past Liberal Censors.  It shows that BIG ENTERTAINMENT is hopelessly biased towards liberalism despite the many, many "blacklisted" conservatives in the business.

Jenne

Oh agreed...Fux News and the like LOVE it when the smallish conservative element of Hollywood gets smacked down by fellow celebrities (cf Rosie O'Donnell and Tom Selleck).  They feel so martyred and "justified" and therefore "fair and balanced" since the "rest of the media" tell "only one side."  This has SOME truth to it, but only to obfuscate what's important, in the end...which is so damned frustrating to folks like Jon Stewart. 

Cain

Oh yeah, there is definitely an element of truth to it.

But I suspect on general demographic terms, "Hollywood liberals" and the like are closer to "everybody fucking else" in the general area, and, indeed, a good 25% of the American population who identify themselves as liberal in their voting habits, and not some sort of weird parastic evil agency/Illuminati controlling the media to keep Real Amurricans down through their sinister minority control of the airwaves.

Jenne

Well, I guess the caveat should be made that when speaking about anything liberal + American, we're talking "an American brand" of liberalism.  Not one that can be interpretable as anywhere CLOSE to "liberalism" anywhere else.  On the planet.

I have to say there actually IS a well-establashed elite clique of American liberal celebrities.  You see them paraded WEEKLY on Maher...and they show up on Stewart's and Colbert's shows often as well.

So in regards to THAT, no, I think Fux News actually has the right of it.

HOWEVER, the "lamestream media" actually panders to RATINGS, not Celebrities' Causes...

Cain

Well that's just it.  American Conservative Movement Warriors go through media outputs looking for examples of "liberal heresy" and decrying them once they are inevitably found.  Everyone else just says "well, is this a good story, with coherent plot, interesting and engaging characters etc etc that I can enjoy?"

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on June 23, 2011, 02:51:48 PM
Well that's just it.  American Conservative Movement Warriors go through media outputs looking for examples of "liberal heresy" and decrying them once they are inevitably found.  Everyone else just says "well, is this a good story, with coherent plot, interesting and engaging characters etc etc that I can enjoy?"

ha ha--YUP.  And Maher et al have now dedicated themselves to FEEDING that cannon.  It's pretty funny--his "Religulous" movie (for whatever it's worth--wasn't too bad, just went a little OVERBOARD in the style of Sasha Baron Cohen's Borat--getting middle and red state America to lail itself) was passed over and caused WAY TOO LITTLE ire in that area of the media.  I mean, I remember CLEARLY the not-so-hit-movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" debacle in the 80's--in fact, I think my own church members might've protested themselves out at Mann's Chinese in L.A.

And here "Religulous" just caused a few eye rolls, IIRC.  Served up on a platter, and because Maher's so well entrenched as an anti-religion, potheaded LIBRUL...he was summarily dismissed.

More often than NOT, the American liberal cliques end up going after themselves on TV...because it's well established by now there's a mutual enmity between conservatives and liberals (again, using the American labels here).

Idem

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2011/jun/27/the-wrong-john-wayne/#.TgjBaMY9_hQ.reddit

QuoteRep. Michele Bachmann kicked off her presidential campaign on Monday in Waterloo, Iowa, and in one interview surrounding the official event she promised to mimic the spirit of Waterloo's own John Wayne.

The only problem, as one eagle-eyed reader notes: Waterloo's John Wayne was not the beloved movie star, but rather John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer.

Jenne

:lulz:  Well, her campaign followed it up by saying John Wayne's parents lived in Waterloo, it's just that the actor himself never did.  :lulz: 

Ah me, I'm not sure I can survive a Bachmann candidacy.

Cramulus

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: aaaaahhahahah I just can't take this century sometimes!

if she actually runs on the john wayne gacy platform, I'll vote for her.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Chairman Risus

Here is a corresponding video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLfL9vMaUY&feature=player_embedded

Is it just me or is the frequency of stuff like this increasing?

Freeky

QuoteWell, I always thought politics was for the middle age people. But then, one day, I was the middle age people.

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa: :aaa:
:mittens: