News:

Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 28, 2013, 07:26:37 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/03/27/1777991/anti-marriage-equality-bishop-sexual-abuse-does-not-happen-in-straight-marriages/?mobile=nc

QuoteOne speaker, Bishop Harry Jackson Jr, argued that same-sex marriage was actually an attack on low-income urban communities. Jackson claimed that "urban America" could be "healed" by promoting heterosexual marriages because, he alleges, heterosexual marriages have less poverty, less domestic violence, and "sexual abuse does not happen."
God has given us a blueprint for how to have success in the earthly realm. He's given us an architectural plan of how to heal the barren places in urban America. He says that marriage between a man and a woman will heal the desert places in urban America. Ghettos will be revitalized if one man, one woman families are the order of the day. When a man and a woman are in the house, poverty is lessened. When a man and a woman are in the house, kids don't go to prison. When a man and a woman are in the house, there's less domestic violence. When a man and a woman are in the house, sexual abuse does not happen.

You can read/watch at the link if you really need to.

These are the people who don't believe it's rape if a man forces sex on his wife. He has a right to her, you see; she belongs to him.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Also the implication is gays are pedophiles.

Pergamos

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 28, 2013, 07:44:22 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2013/03/27/1777991/anti-marriage-equality-bishop-sexual-abuse-does-not-happen-in-straight-marriages/?mobile=nc

QuoteOne speaker, Bishop Harry Jackson Jr, argued that same-sex marriage was actually an attack on low-income urban communities. Jackson claimed that "urban America" could be "healed" by promoting heterosexual marriages because, he alleges, heterosexual marriages have less poverty, less domestic violence, and "sexual abuse does not happen."
God has given us a blueprint for how to have success in the earthly realm. He's given us an architectural plan of how to heal the barren places in urban America. He says that marriage between a man and a woman will heal the desert places in urban America. Ghettos will be revitalized if one man, one woman families are the order of the day. When a man and a woman are in the house, poverty is lessened. When a man and a woman are in the house, kids don't go to prison. When a man and a woman are in the house, there's less domestic violence. When a man and a woman are in the house, sexual abuse does not happen.

These are the people who don't believe it's rape if a man forces sex on his wife. He has a right to her, you see; she belongs to him.

Well yeah, that's what they mean when they say the want to protect traditional marriage.  In a gay marriage you don't know who has the right to rape who, it'll make all the straights confused.

Anna Mae Bollocks

No.
My head hurts.
Thanks anyway.

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2013, 07:49:20 PM
Also the implication is gays are pedophiles.

That actually went right over my head.  :horrormirth:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Probably because in America, gay = bad is enough for a sizeable amount of people.

Used to be like that in the UK too, no doubt.  So the rhetoric moved from gay = bad to gay = potential pedo = bad.  You don't see it as often in American based politics, but I would expect it to rise as acceptance of homosexuality does.

Pope Pixie Pickle

See new line in sig.

Also, we should send him reports of DV and rape cases within marriage. Just saying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pixie on March 28, 2013, 11:37:24 PM

See new line in sig.

Also, we should send him reports of DV and rape cases within marriage. Just saying.

He'd probably just write it off as a head of household disciplining his wife and taking his due.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on March 29, 2013, 12:06:35 AM
Quote from: Pixie on March 28, 2013, 11:37:24 PM

See new line in sig.

He'd probably just write it off as a head of household disciplining his wife and taking his due.

gah.

I have no words left. I am going to bed now, because CRANKY, ANGRY and FUCK THAT GUY.

Junkenstein

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/jim-gile-kansas_n_3045720.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

QuoteGile told the Salina Journal that he knew the term he used from when he was growing up and that he meant to say "jury-rigged." He also insisted that he is not racist, noting that a friend he considers a sister is black.

"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile told the Salina Journal. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

I become increasingly certain that there is a warehouse somewhere which stores black friends. I've never seen anyone use this defence and actually have said person in the room endorsing the statements.

It really should be mandatory. The burden of proof is on them "One of my Best friends is an X" should only be admissible if they can be shown to exist and are actually fucking friends.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2013, 02:43:32 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/09/jim-gile-kansas_n_3045720.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

QuoteGile told the Salina Journal that he knew the term he used from when he was growing up and that he meant to say "jury-rigged." He also insisted that he is not racist, noting that a friend he considers a sister is black.

"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile told the Salina Journal. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

I become increasingly certain that there is a warehouse somewhere which stores black friends. I've never seen anyone use this defence and actually have said person in the room endorsing the statements.

It really should be mandatory. The burden of proof is on them "One of my Best friends is an X" should only be admissible if they can be shown to exist and are actually fucking friends.

On the other hand, even good people can absorb bad signal.  I had to beat terms like that out of my crew, and they're okay guys.  They just never thought about using the term in terms of offensiveness.  Once they did, they stopped.

Not saying this guy ISN'T a racist on some level, but it seems like his terms for decribing people are really what's at issue (so far as we know).  It's like he walked out of the 1950s.

Quote"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile told the Salina Journal. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

I'm not gonna count all the horrible things in that sentence.  I am going to say that - if true - then Gile is at worst a paternalist type of racist, and that is one of the few types that can be cured, because it isn't based on actual hatred.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

I hadn't really considered that aspect, my hackles went up after the "Some of My friends" shit.

While I can concede that maybe this guy isn't a total lost cause (No idea, never heard of him until today) I highly doubt he will be in situations where this thinking is seriously challenged. In the absence of anyone to beat it out of him, at best I think he may just conceal it.

I'm not sure if that's an improvement.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2013, 02:43:32 PM

OH. MY. FUCKING. BOB.  :x :x :x

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on April 10, 2013, 03:32:23 PM
I hadn't really considered that aspect, my hackles went up after the "Some of My friends" shit.

While I can concede that maybe this guy isn't a total lost cause (No idea, never heard of him until today) I highly doubt he will be in situations where this thinking is seriously challenged. In the absence of anyone to beat it out of him, at best I think he may just conceal it.

I'm not sure if that's an improvement.

It is an improvement.  A small gain, but a gain nonetheless.  If you change someone's behavior, you change the way they transmit signal to others.

He states that the term was picked up when he was young.  So now he keeps it to himself, and doesn't transmit it to the next generation.

And who knows?  Maybe he will think about it.

Either way, things are slightly better.

I'm all about slapping the po'buckers around, the ones that can't or won't change, because of their motivations.  If someone CAN be changed, though, it's best to help them change, rather than drag them around by the heels.  It's all about inclusion.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

One of the Republicans on the Salina Council is also giving him grief for it, though that could of course be entirely for petty reasons, it nevertheless may encourage him to think more carefully about his choice of words in the future.