News:

Testamonial:  "My god, you people are depressing."

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

I believe him.  I mean, the job I got payed less than unemployment did, I wouldn't have taken it if my benefits hadn't been coming to an end.  I'd be glad to have it back though.  Most jobs in my field are sub minimum wage now thanks to incredibly shitty hours.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Elder Iptuous

further, i know several people that had regular jobs, that, when they got laid off, they took under the counter cash jobs until their benefits ran out.
if i were to get laid off, i can't think of a really good reason that i wouldn't do the same...

Jenne

I know NO one in the state of CA who 1) can get unemployment without PROVING they are looking for a job 2) likes the unemployment benefits more than a job and 3) has plans to STAY on unemployment any longer than it takes to get the damned job back/again/anew.

...and I know a lot of people on unemployment atm.

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 07, 2010, 09:41:54 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on March 07, 2010, 07:45:59 PM
http://rawstory.com/2010/03/delay-unemployment-benefits/

QuoteFormer House Majority Leader Tom DeLay says that Sen. Jim Bunning was "brave" for blocking an extension in unemployment benefits.

DeLay subscribes to the notion that people only try to find jobs when their benefits run out.

"There is an argument to be made that these extensions, the unemployment benefits, keep people from going and finding jobs," he told CNN's Candy Crowley Sunday.

"In fact there are some studies that have been done that show people stay on unemployment compensation and they don't look for a job until two or three weeks before they know the benefits are going to run out," he argued.

"People are unemployed because they want to be? " asked Crowley.

"Well, it is the truth. And people in the real world know it," said DeLay.

:lulz:

Tom DeLay.

I know, right?  Mr. Bastion of American Ethical & Moral Superiority... :lulz:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on March 08, 2010, 03:48:06 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 07, 2010, 09:41:54 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on March 07, 2010, 07:45:59 PM
http://rawstory.com/2010/03/delay-unemployment-benefits/

QuoteFormer House Majority Leader Tom DeLay says that Sen. Jim Bunning was "brave" for blocking an extension in unemployment benefits.

DeLay subscribes to the notion that people only try to find jobs when their benefits run out.

"There is an argument to be made that these extensions, the unemployment benefits, keep people from going and finding jobs," he told CNN's Candy Crowley Sunday.

"In fact there are some studies that have been done that show people stay on unemployment compensation and they don't look for a job until two or three weeks before they know the benefits are going to run out," he argued.

"People are unemployed because they want to be? " asked Crowley.

"Well, it is the truth. And people in the real world know it," said DeLay.

:lulz:

Tom DeLay.

I know, right?  Mr. Bastion of American Ethical & Moral Superiority... :lulz:

"Dioxin isn't toxic."
Molon Lube

Juana

Quote from: Jenne on March 08, 2010, 03:47:10 PM
I know NO one in the state of CA who 1) can get unemployment without PROVING they are looking for a job 2) likes the unemployment benefits more than a job and 3) has plans to STAY on unemployment any longer than it takes to get the damned job back/again/anew.

This. Though I'm apparently not eligible, either, since I'm in school even though I can work at 71 hour work week (this is assuming a schedule like Starbucks had--5am to 11pm seven days a week. Which is what you're supposed to do). I'm just about to give up on it, since I've been fighting them tooth and nail for it since October, despite having all the proof necessary to show I'm looking for a job.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jenne

Quote from: Demon Sheep on March 08, 2010, 04:18:14 PM

This. Though I'm apparently not eligible, either, since I'm in school even though I can work at 71 hour work week (this is assuming a schedule like Starbucks had--5am to 11pm seven days a week. Which is what you're supposed to do). I'm just about to give up on it, since I've been fighting them tooth and nail for it since October, despite having all the proof necessary to show I'm looking for a job.

Exactly.  And supposedly, you CAN still get benefits for being UNDERemployed in this state.

I know of no one (of the 50 or so that I know who've applied, yes, 50!) who have been able to get this.  In the last YEAR.

Juana

Quote from: Jenne on March 08, 2010, 04:34:40 PM

Exactly.  And supposedly, you CAN still get benefits for being UNDERemployed in this state.

I know of no one (of the 50 or so that I know who've applied, yes, 50!) who have been able to get this.  In the last YEAR.
It's absolutely fucking ridiculous. And fifty people? Holy shit.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jenne

Quote from: Demon Sheep on March 08, 2010, 05:11:41 PM
Quote from: Jenne on March 08, 2010, 04:34:40 PM

It's absolutely fucking ridiculous. And fifty people? Holy shit.

I know.  :(  And about 2 doz or so of those are my relatives/in-laws.  Shit's gotten crazy weird. 

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

In Ohio there are levels of people who take Unemployment benefits. Most of them seem like sane humans who use it as a cushion until they find a job. A few though try to milk it as far as they can and will supplement it with under the table/cash only stuff.

I think guys like DeLay look at the few outliers and then make the argument that they are the rule rather than the exception.  :kingmeh:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on March 08, 2010, 05:29:36 PM
In Ohio there are levels of people who take Unemployment benefits. Most of them seem like sane humans who use it as a cushion until they find a job. A few though try to milk it as far as they can and will supplement it with under the table/cash only stuff.

I think guys like DeLay look at the few outliers and then make the argument that they are the rule rather than the exception.  :kingmeh:

They've been doing that since the 30s.

My favorite was Reagan's "Welfare Queen" statement, which he later retracted, but is still taken as gospel by right wing nuts to this day.
Molon Lube

Cain

QuoteLIMBAUGH: Are you sure that Paterson appoints or is there a special election?

CALLER: I am reasonably sure that Paterson will be appointing the replacement, assuming that he, you know, doesn't resign in the next 60 or 90 days.

LIMBAUGH: Let's assume you're right. So, David Paterson will become the massa...

CALLER: Yes.

LIMBAUGH: ...who gets to appoint whoever gets to take Massa's place. So, for the first time in his life, Paterson's gonna be a massa. Interesting, interesting.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2010/03/10/2010-03-10_rush_limbaugh_races_to_inject_racial_joke_about_paterson_into_massa_mess.html

Oh, why must you suck so hard, Limbaugh?

Jasper

Attached poll:

Rush Limbaugh is:  A conservative voice who's not afraid to tell it like it is.    42%
A hate-monger who should just shut up.    39%    
I couldn't care less. I don't pay attention to him.    19%

:x:hi5::crankey:

Cain

More proof - if any was needed - that Thomas Friedman has no writing ability whatsoever:

QuoteUnderlying the latest U.S.-Israel spat over settlements is the deeper — real — problem: There are five key actors in the Israeli-Palestinian equation today. Two of them — the Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad and the alliance of Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah — have clear strategies. These two are actually opposed, but one of them will shape Israeli-Palestinian relations in the coming years; indeed, their showdown is nearing. I hope Fayyad wins. It would be good for Israel, America and the moderate Arabs. But those three need their own strategy to make it happen.

Hello, is that Eric Blair on the line?  Yes, you'd like to make a statement?

QuoteThe writer either has a meaning and cannot express it, or he inadvertently says something else, or he is almost indifferent as to whether his words mean anything or not. This mixture of vagueness and sheer incompetence is the most marked characteristic of modern English prose, and especially of any kind of political writing. As soon as certain topics are raised, the concrete melts into the abstract and no one seems able to think of turns of speech that are not hackneyed: prose consists less and less of words chosen for the sake of their meaning, and more and more of phrases tacked together like the sections of a prefabricated henhouse.

Cain

Also, while I'm here, Obama is now post-American

http://www.spectator.co.uk/melaniephillips/5846887/israel-alone.thtml

QuoteMr. Netanyahu's current government had, until last week, strived to stay close to President Barack Obama. That strategy would have been entirely sensible if Mr. Obama were simply another president in the long line since Franklin Roosevelt who vigorously asserted U.S. national interests, championed our friends (especially beleaguered ones), and kept alliances strong. But Mr. Obama is different.

He is our first post-American president. He looks beyond American exceptionalism and believes that our role on the world stage should be merely one nation among many.

I've never understood American exceptionalism.  I mean, I understand what it means, I just don't understand why a) anyone believes it, and b) anyone thinks it actually matters.

America is merely one nation among many.  In any sense that actually matters, anyway, ie material ones.  China doesn't give a fuck if America is more republican spirited than any other nation on the planet, or if it was founded by immigrants.  It gives a fuck about getting hundreds in billions of dollars worth of investment back, and not getting into a war.

I know, I know, arguing with retards will just get my blood pressure up, but damn, its about time someone called bullshit on this entire notion.

Also, Obama is a post-American because he is the first black, Muslim, Kenyan/British Maoist President of the USA, which I believe is what Bolton was inferring.