News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Luigi's book of Fire Flour Recipes

Started by Luigi, December 02, 2009, 04:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Not to get too argumentative, but a pot of water at 3/4 power for 6 hours is going to do a hell of a lot more than "simmer". 

It wasn't the water that was bothering me, it was the amount of heat.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I'm not even reading his recipes.

But hell, even boiling water is wet cooking at a relatively low temperature. I don't see why he'd want them at a full boil for that long, but they'll come out tender.

And flavorless.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Luigi on December 03, 2009, 08:36:56 PM
Yup. That's how you make them fall-off-the-bone-epic. :)

OK, I didn't wanna play the "I'm a chef and you're wrong" card, but you're wrong.

Simmering ribs for a few hours is a great way to tenderize them. I swear by it and that's what I did at the last restaurant I worked at.

BUT...

you DON'T want to have them in there for several hours at a rolling boil. You want to bring them to a boil and then turn down the heat so the water is just barely simmering, and unless you're using brontosaurus ribs, 3 or 4 hours should be plenty of time. Ribs have alot of flavor on their own, without sauce, and your method is going to rid those ribs of every bit of natural flavor they possess. The point of simmering them is to break down the connective tissue to tenderize the meat, not to boil the ever-loving piss out of the meat itself.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Bruno

Could you use a pressure cooker if you're lazy and impatient?
Formerly something else...

East Coast Hustle

I don't know for sure, but my instinctive answer would be "no", at least as far as any cut of meat (like ribs) that has alot of connective tissue. AFAIK, there is no sbustitute for a long slow simmer that will break down the connective tissues in the same manner.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

I'd still go with a dry heat, if at all possible.  That way, you can add a dry rub to it first, and it won't wash off.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 01:41:15 PM
I'd still go with a dry heat, if at all possible.  That way, you can add a dry rub to it first, and it won't wash off.

There's always marinading it, and then after boiling it you could smoke it to put more flavor in.

LMNO

My man Alton Brown has shown that a marinade doesn't get further than maybe a millimeter into most meats.

I'd suggest making the braising liquid more flavorful.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 03:45:01 PM
My man Alton Brown has shown that a marinade doesn't get further than maybe a millimeter into most meats.

I'd suggest making the braising liquid more flavorful.

:O I LOVE ALTON BROWN HE IS THE SHIT.

There is that, of course. I love sweet stuff, so i'd probably use juice, worsterschire, liquid smoke and a bunch of spices instead of water.

And that'll make a good sauce, too!

Triple Zero

thanks for reminding me, I was about to watch some of his videos (what was the show called again? Good Eats?) but then I got distracted and forgot.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 10, 2009, 09:43:31 PM
thanks for reminding me, I was about to watch some of his videos (what was the show called again? Good Eats?) but then I got distracted and forgot.

His show is called Good eats, and he's also the announcer guy on Iron chef America and (I don't think it's on at the moment, it jus ende) The Next Iron Chef.