News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Utopia

If we want other people to follow us then we have to be leading the way to somewhere they want to go. Or appear to be, etc, etc.

Quote from: Cainad on December 09, 2009, 05:08:28 PM
This is the part where people start threatening to Flounce From Discordianism 4-EVAR if it becomes anything larger and more dynamic than a tiny goofball brigade with big ideas and even bigger excuses not to realize those ideas, n'est-pas?

I imagine this site with 10 times as many people with 10 times as many posts, and I wonder how the community could maintain its current identity. I guess it wouldn't, and perhaps that isn't even a terrible thing. I dunno, just thinking aloud really.

The Good Reverend Roger

This is the part where people start threatening to Flounce From Discordianism 4-EVAR if it becomes anything larger and more dynamic than a tiny goofball brigade with big ideas and even bigger excuses not to realize those ideas, n'est-pas?

No.

Why do you have such a low opinion of us?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Someone is thinking it's still 2005, ITT.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:15:47 PM

No.

Maybe I'm suffering from false memory, but it's the sort of thing I expect to eventually happen in discussions about this sort of thing.

In retrospect, it happens more often when the discussion is about using PD.com, specifically, as a hub for Bigger And Weirder activities, which isn't necessarily what this is about.

Sorry to be a downer and put a damper on the conversation. My bad. :sad:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 05:17:24 PM
Someone is thinking it's still 2005, ITT.

I'm all about evangelism...hell, it's why I post on 23ae (so newcomers will have an alternative to Uncle BadTouch's heresies).

It's just that we'll have to batten down the hatches for the inevitable influx of people who don't quite understand the concept.  In fact, I am going against my nature, and coming up with better responses than "die in a burn ward" for the arrival of pinealists.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on December 09, 2009, 05:20:35 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:15:47 PM

No.

Maybe I'm suffering from false memory, but it's the sort of thing I expect to eventually happen in discussions about this sort of thing.

In retrospect, it happens more often when the discussion is about using PD.com, specifically, as a hub for Bigger And Weirder activities, which isn't necessarily what this is about.

Sorry to be a downer and put a damper on the conversation. My bad. :sad:

The only time I ever got pissy about it was the whole Big Boards fiasco (and yes, I know you had nothing to do with that assbaggery).  It wasn't what was happening that was the problem, it was the motivation behind it.  Everything went all Pink for a moment.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 05:14:00 PM
If we want other people to follow us

Is that what we want?   :?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:23:10 PM

If people follow me, they're gonna run out of gas before we get anywhere!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

23ae is the tip of the iceberg. In many ways, it's preaching to the choir. People who read 23ae already know about Discordia. In the long term, 23ae could be a great springboard from "I've read part of the PD" to "This sounds like fun, let's apply some of this craziness in meatspace".

For the purposes of this thread, I'm more interested in fresh audiences -- people who have never heard of Discordia.

I'd like to invoke the sentiment vexati0n expressed here: http://disc0rd.com/node/31

QuoteWe've got distaste for the Status Quo down to a science around here, and most of us aren't lacking in a general nonspecific desire to change things whether on a large scale or just locally. Many of us have taken to the streets in furtherance of various GASMs, so I don't think we lack motivation, dedication, or determination.

But we are, generally speaking, easily jaded and thoroughly cynical. We tend to think larger goals are either unacheivable or pointless. Either the task is too hard or it's too inconsequential; it's either impossible to change the world or such change is meaningless because it is corruptible.

This is complete horse shit, even if it is true. Of course any change we can make is corruptible. That's why we're HERE, because an idea that started out promising and new has become an entrenched, corrupted, stale, sour, and rotten System. That's why ten or ten thousand years from now, someone will be around to get rid of OUR stupid ideas.

The Discordian Community itself has become corrupt. Maybe it hasn't been mass-marketed or pre-packaged yet, but we have been sold out for some time on the idea that the ultimate goal of a philosophical revolution should be a static Utopia where everything is perfect.

History is not driven by periods of calm stability, but by tumultuous sequences of upheaval and cultural wreckage. It is only after the established order is demolished that a better order can be established. Discordians, I fear, are sometimes worried about what would happen if we DID ultimately bring down the entire System. We are concerned about what we would do after that. But it isn't our job to put the pieces back together, it's our job to tear them apart.

Discordia isn't about being there, it's about GETTING there. That's the function of the Discordian Society.

Captain Utopia

In the sense of "follow us into discordianism, or discordian lines of thought", rather than "follow us and obey our every whim".

The Good Reverend Roger

Well, shit.  I went to 23ae because it seems that it's where a lot of new people find Discordianism.

Should we start poaching on the Myspacers?  We'll need air freshener, and a staff of jizz moppers, of course.

The Good Reverend Roger

I've begun evangelizing these last few weeks at Capitol Grilling, which is full of burned out, disillusioned politics junkies.  They've finally realized that it's turtles all the way down, so they are ripe for harvest.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 05:30:54 PM

In the sense of "follow us into discordianism, or discordian lines of thought", rather than "follow us and obey our every whim".

Okay.  What's a discordian line of thought?

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:34:22 PM
I've begun evangelizing these last few weeks at Capitol Grilling, which is full of burned out, disillusioned politics junkies.  They've finally realized that it's turtles all the way down, so they are ripe for harvest.

it is where a lot of new people find discordianism. But how do they find 23ae?

there aren't a lot of leads out there which point to us

we're a really obscure joke

I just want to lower our obscurity

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:34:22 PM
I've begun evangelizing these last few weeks at Capitol Grilling, which is full of burned out, disillusioned politics junkies.  They've finally realized that it's turtles all the way down, so they are ripe for harvest.

there we go!

talking to people directly is an effective, albeit effort intensive way to Find the Others.

could there be materials which make it easier?

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 05:34:48 PM
Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 05:30:54 PM

Okay.  What's a discordian line of thought?

I think what he's trying to say is that we want more discordians in general, but we don't want to make ourselves the Authorities on the matter. Let's not get into the "what's a discordian" shtick.

Cainad (dec.)

QuoteThe Discordian Community itself has become corrupt. Maybe it hasn't been mass-marketed or pre-packaged yet, but we have been sold out for some time on the idea that the ultimate goal of a philosophical revolution should be a static Utopia where everything is perfect.

Zing!

I'm in favor of fucking around and breaking shit just to see what happens.

If exposing new audiences to Discordianism is the goal, we should definitely, absolutely look towards grabbing media attention with our antics. The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster garnered a huge amount of attention when their campaign to lampoon the everloving shit out of Intelligent Design caught media attention; that's how I first heard about it. I'm not sure if they USED that attention to any great end after that, but still.