Main Menu

Poping in to say hi

Started by Dr Goofy, December 10, 2009, 12:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jenne on December 14, 2009, 09:24:46 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 14, 2009, 09:22:00 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 14, 2009, 09:17:07 PM
If they put the money behind the parole departments that they do the prison guard/prison lobby, then the rescidivism rate would probably be non-existent.  But you won't hear any politician saying this.

Not the point.  Parole officers don't send big fucking bribes contributions to congressmen.

...which is why you won't hear politicians talking about it.  For all they are anti-crime and pro-education, so to speak.

You have to run it through the Orwell Filter.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 14, 2009, 09:09:20 PM
Quote from: Iason Ouabache on December 14, 2009, 09:05:30 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 14, 2009, 08:41:31 PM
The prison guard/prison industry lobby.
I thought AARP was bigger. They basically claim everyone over the age of 60, don't they?

Talking muscle, here.  AARP is significant, but comes in way behind the private prison lobby.

Ok, that's fucked up. Especially from the corporation=organism viewpoint, since keeping the little living component cells (monkeys) in little boxes (like mitochondria, they used to be separate organisms once) sounds like a typical organic survival strategy.

But, what exactly is a private prison? I don't think we have those over here. At least, I;m not sure, but I assume they are government-run here.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 14, 2009, 09:52:28 PM
I thought AARP was bigger. They basically claim everyone over the age of 60, don't they?

Talking muscle, here.  AARP is significant, but comes in way behind the private prison lobby.

Ok, that's fucked up. Especially from the corporation=organism viewpoint, since keeping the little living component cells (monkeys) in little boxes (like mitochondria, they used to be separate organisms once) sounds like a typical organic survival strategy.

But, what exactly is a private prison? I don't think we have those over here. At least, I;m not sure, but I assume they are government-run here.

It's precisely what it sounds like...a prison run by a private company, which takes in inmates from the court system for profit.

And it's every bit as bad and abuse-prone as it sounds.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Some prisons are subcontracted to private companies which fill the administrative and security positions. Many also own the actual facility. So yes, even prison is a For Profit  business here in the States. 
:horrormirth:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Freeky

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 14, 2009, 10:02:18 PM

Some prisons are subcontracted to private companies which fill the administrative and security positions. Many also own the actual facility. So yes, even prison is a For Profit  business here in the States. 
:horrormirth:

Do they make a pill for commercialsm yet? :x

Dr Goofy

mine is end of the major and I have procrastinated out the wahzoo

Cain

AIPAC are doing pretty well.

They managed to get the Jewish daughter of a Holocaust survivor swear her alleigance to Israel's interests before being allowed a post in Obama's government.  They were afraid she was insufficiently pro-Jewish because she had worked for J Street, a liberal advocacy group seeking peaceful resolution to the Israel/Palestine conflict.

http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/12/04/haaretz_says_us_officials_face_pro_israel_background_check

Also, they've managed to get the Senate to vote on Iran sanctions that they wrote

http://www.aipac.org/694.asp#24473 and http://peacenow.org/entries/apn_urges_senate_to_oppose_irpsa

I'm pretty sure when it comes to foreign policy, AIPAC are the king of the hill. 

Payne

Every time I see this thread, I wonder how exactly one "Popes" in.

I imagine yellow and white helicopters, abseiling cardinals in 'combat' vestments, entire fleets of pope-mobiles with huge guns on them. Shit like that.

It makes me giggle, and feel kinda sad that we got Ratty this last time round. We should have made Bruce Willis or someone the pope.

Dr Goofy

I am the pope what can I say? I also can't spell.

You know once you get a life you miss not having one. I miss coming on here and other sites but am having fun

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Dr Goofy on February 07, 2010, 03:48:01 PM
but am having fun

That's the important part.

We Doktors must keep our priorities straight.
Molon Lube