News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Foods You Can Cram into Your Gullet - With Nasturtiums

Started by Nast, December 11, 2009, 02:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

My cheese was the opposite - it was too strong. I used Valdeon, and it sort of overwhelmed the delicate squash flavor.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Triple Zero

Nast, your food looks absolutely gorgeous! Just wanted to say.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

Hm...persimmons...interesting choice for that salad!  I will have to try, though I'm not a total 100% persimmon fan, per se.

Nast

Bump!

I started a new food blog - http://iateitwithmyface.tumblr.com/

I know I haven't updated it in a shamefully long time, but please take a look anyway.

So I joined the culinary program at my local city college. I have no grand illusions of becoming a chef (we all know where grand illusions end up: flipping burgers at Denny's during the night shift), but I did want to learn all the "proper" techniques and things you can't very well teach yourself at home, like how to butcher a pig.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

This was the first thing we made for our baking class at school - a pineapple upside down cake! As you can see, mine turned out hilariously lopsided.  :lulz:
Since it was my birthday that day, I took it home, stuck a candle in it .

And then this is a Thai beef salad I made for dinner one day. You can't tell by looking at it, but I assure you it was a sensual smorgasbord of fragrances and flavors. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe anymore, but I recall that the dressing was something like fish sauce, palm sugar, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro.

Pæs

Pæs

DECI4

Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:12:55 AM
Bump!

I know I haven't updated it in a shamefully long time, but please take a look anyway.

So I joined the culinary program at my local city college. I have no grand illusions of becoming a chef (we all know where grand illusions end up: flipping burgers at Denny's during the night shift), but I did want to learn all the "proper" techniques and things you can't very well teach yourself at home, like how to butcher a pig.

You aren't going to learn how to butcher a pig in Culinary school. Butchering is a very specialized technique that you are not going to become competent at by simply watching someone and taking notes. There are very few chefs in the world even in 3 star restaurants that butcher whole animals in house. If you really have the money and time to burn, by all means enjoy your classes, but the fact is, without years of practice and repetition a semi-competent home cook is all you will ever be, and you can attain that rank without spending thousands of dollars on school. You can find any information or technique on youtube for free, spend the money on ingredients, cookbooks, some decent knives and kitchen tools, not to mention eating well at respected restaurants in your area.

Alternatively you could use your schooling to land an internship at a decent restaurant and spend a year working part time in a real kitchen. You will learn more doing prep and making salads in the kitchen of a good chef than you will in culinary school.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
My-my-my-my music hits me so hard makes me say oh my Lord
Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hyped feet
It feels good when you know you're down
A superdope homeboy from the Oaktown
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
You got it like that now you know you wanna dance
So move out of your seat
And get a fly girl and catch this beat
While it's rollin' hold on pump a little bit
And let me know it's going on like that like that
Cold on a mission so pull on back
Let 'em know that you're too much

Yo I told you u can't touch this
Why you standing there man u can't touch this

http://i.imgur.com/EiZZK.jpg

Nast

Quote from: DECI4 on January 02, 2012, 04:44:58 AM
Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:12:55 AM
Bump!

You aren't going to learn how to butcher a pig in Culinary school. Butchering is a very specialized technique that you are not going to become competent at by simply watching someone and taking notes. There are very few chefs in the world even in 3 star restaurants that butcher whole animals in house. If you really have the money and time to burn, by all means enjoy your classes, but the fact is, without years of practice and repetition a semi-competent home cook is all you will ever be, and you can attain that rank without spending thousands of dollars on school. You can find any information or technique on youtube for free, spend the money on ingredients, cookbooks, some decent knives and kitchen tools, not to mention eating well at respected restaurants in your area.

Alternatively you could use your schooling to land an internship at a decent restaurant and spend a year working part time in a real kitchen. You will learn more doing prep and making salads in the kitchen of a good chef than you will in culinary school.

Thank you for your advice.  :)

DECI4

Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:20:32 AM
This was the first thing we made for our baking class at school - a pineapple upside down cake! As you can see, mine turned out hilariously lopsided.  :lulz:
Since it was my birthday that day, I took it home, stuck a candle in it .

And then this is a Thai beef salad I made for dinner one day. You can't tell by looking at it, but I assure you it was a sensual smorgasbord of fragrances and flavors. Unfortunately I don't have the recipe anymore, but I recall that the dressing was something like fish sauce, palm sugar, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro.

That salad is a plate of fail if I've ever seen one. Where do cherry tomatoes and romaine fit into Thai food? That steak looks like you "sliced" it with a dull bread knife. Please tell me that isn't the kind of shit they are teaching you in class.
And I'm known as such

You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
So move out of your seat

DECI4

Just to be clear, I understand using ingredients in non traditional ways when cooking for yourself, your salad may have been truly delicious, but if that is the shit they are teaching you in culinary school get out of there fast.
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat

Nast

I'll have you know I spent a good long time working at that meat with an icepick, thankyouverymuch.

Nast

Quote from: DECI4 on January 02, 2012, 04:53:56 AM
Just to be clear, I understand using ingredients in non traditional ways when cooking for yourself, your salad may have been truly delicious, but if that is the shit they are teaching you in culinary school get out of there fast.

I learnt it from a library book.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:56:57 AM
I'll have you know I spent a good long time working at that meat with an icepick, thankyouverymuch.

I am so glad Nast is back.

Pæs

Um, just to be clear, those aren't actually cherry tomatoes.

That's a Siamese tomato from the northern coast of Thailand.

The cherry tomato evolved from that Siamese tomato some time after it was introduced to Russia by Thai explorers in the 16th century.

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on January 02, 2012, 04:58:50 AM
Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:56:57 AM

I am so glad Nast is back.
Also this. I actually love Nast.