Foods You Can Cram into Your Gullet - With Nasturtiums

Started by Nast, December 11, 2009, 02:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DECI4

Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:57:40 AM
Quote from: DECI4 on January 02, 2012, 04:53:56 AM
Just to be clear, I understand using ingredients in non traditional ways when cooking for yourself, your salad may have been truly delicious, but if that is the shit they are teaching you in culinary school get out of there fast.

I learnt it from a library book.

Try this one someday. First buy a mandoline.

For the salad

1 head cabbage shredded.
1# carrot julienne
1# Daikon julienne
1 bunch mint
1bunch cilantro
shaved onion and fresh chili to taste.

For the vinaigrette:

1/4 cup Dashi
1.5 cups Mirin
1 cup Sake
1/4 cup Rice vinegar
3 cups Fish Sauce
3 cups Lime juice
1/3 cup garlic
1/3 cups ginger
1/4 cup minced thai chili

Obviously that is going to make way more salad and dressing than you need, but do some simple math and you can make it work. Top with thinly sliced marinated grilled beef and some fried rice noodles.
:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:
My-my-my-my music hits me so hard makes me say oh my Lord
Thank you for blessing me with a mind to rhyme and two hyped feet
It feels good when you know you're down
A superdope homeboy from the Oaktown
And I'm known as such
And this is a beat uh u can't touch

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
You got it like that now you know you wanna dance
So move out of your seat
And get a fly girl and catch this beat
While it's rollin' hold on pump a little bit
And let me know it's going on like that like that
Cold on a mission so pull on back
Let 'em know that you're too much

Yo I told you u can't touch this
Why you standing there man u can't touch this

http://i.imgur.com/EiZZK.jpg

Suu

That sounds awesome.

I'm so glad I have a full-sized mandoline in my apartment kitchen, too!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

DECI4

Quote from: Suu on January 02, 2012, 05:16:37 AM
That sounds awesome.

I'm so glad I have a full-sized mandoline in my apartment kitchen, too!

An indispensable tool. :thumbsup:
And I'm known as such

You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this Fresh new kicks and pants
So move out of your seat

Nast

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on January 02, 2012, 04:58:50 AM
Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:56:57 AM
I'll have you know I spent a good long time working at that meat with an icepick, thankyouverymuch.

I am so glad Nast is back.

Quote from: Beardman Meow on January 02, 2012, 05:00:47 AM
Um, just to be clear, those aren't actually cherry tomatoes.

That's a Siamese tomato from the northern coast of Thailand.

The cherry tomato evolved from that Siamese tomato some time after it was introduced to Russia by Thai explorers in the 16th century.

Quote from: Pope Pastor Wolf-Something-Or-Other on January 02, 2012, 04:58:50 AM
I'll have you know I spent a good long time working at that meat with an icepick, thankyouverymuch.

Also this. I actually love Nast.

<3
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Beardman Meow on January 02, 2012, 05:00:47 AM
Um, just to be clear, those aren't actually cherry tomatoes.

That's a Siamese tomato from the northern coast of Thailand.

The cherry tomato evolved from that Siamese tomato some time after it was introduced to Russia by Thai explorers in the 16th century.

Also this. I actually love Nast.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

I also posted this on my blag -

From top left, clockwise -

Miso soup with chrysanthemum greens and shiitake mushrooms - chrysanthemum greens are from an edible variety of mum. If you've ever eaten carrot tops, that's kind of what they taste like, except less bitter.

Burdock root in sesame dressing - burdock roots are very long and only about an inch in diameter. They have a pronounced woodsy taste, a bit like a very gutsy carrot. They're very firm so you have to cook them a long time, which in did in some seasoned dashi. Then I drained them and tossed them in a dressing of ground toasted sesame seeds and a bit of soy sauce and mirin.

Deep fried pork cutlet - usually this has some kind of sauce, usually a dark miso sauce or something resembling a sweet worstershire, but I had neither. :(

Simmered Kabocha Squash - I like this dish so a make it often. The squash is rich and chestnutty and the simmering liquid is full of sweet and savory flavor.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

I made a stir fry with shrimp, salted pork, pineapple, peppers, asparagus tips, and onions. It was pretty tasty.

DECI4

Quote from: Nast on January 11, 2012, 06:53:16 AM

I made a stir fry with shrimp, salted pork, pineapple, peppers, asparagus tips, and onions. It was pretty tasty.

That looks pretty damn good.
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: DECI4 on January 02, 2012, 04:44:58 AM
Quote from: Nast on January 02, 2012, 04:12:55 AM
Bump!

I started a new food blog - http://iateitwithmyface.tumblr.com/

I know I haven't updated it in a shamefully long time, but please take a look anyway.

So I joined the culinary program at my local city college. I have no grand illusions of becoming a chef (we all know where grand illusions end up: flipping burgers at Denny's during the night shift), but I did want to learn all the "proper" techniques and things you can't very well teach yourself at home, like how to butcher a pig.

You aren't going to learn how to butcher a pig in Culinary school. Butchering is a very specialized technique that you are not going to become competent at by simply watching someone and taking notes. There are very few chefs in the world even in 3 star restaurants that butcher whole animals in house. If you really have the money and time to burn, by all means enjoy your classes, but the fact is, without years of practice and repetition a semi-competent home cook is all you will ever be, and you can attain that rank without spending thousands of dollars on school. You can find any information or technique on youtube for free, spend the money on ingredients, cookbooks, some decent knives and kitchen tools, not to mention eating well at respected restaurants in your area.

Alternatively you could use your schooling to land an internship at a decent restaurant and spend a year working part time in a real kitchen. You will learn more doing prep and making salads in the kitchen of a good chef than you will in culinary school.

Now I KNOW you aren't a chef.

First of all, plenty of restaurants do their own butchering in-house. Or have you never heard of farm-to-table? :lulz:

Second of all, they're called externships, which you would have known if you'd ever actually worked in the restaurant industry.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Oh, and your salad recipe, which seems to have confused Thailand with Japan.

And the fact that you told someone to use a fucking MANDOLINE. Where are your knife skills, son? You can't julienne a carrot by hand? :lulz:

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

HAY YOU GUYZ YOU CAN MAKE A REALLY GOOD THAIPANESE DRESSING WITH MIRIN, SAKE, NAM PLA, AND LIME JUICE!

JUST BE SURE TO MINCE YOUR CILANTRO WITH A MANDOLINE.

:lulz:

PS - Sorry for laying this in your thread, Nast, but I was waiting for this idiot to expose himself as a complete fraud.

BTW, your food looks really good for a home cook. You might have some talent (not as important as you might think, really) and clearly have passion for it (vastly more important). If I ever get bitten by the restaurant bug again I'd totally hire you.

East Coast Hustle

Bump!

I know I haven't updated it in a shamefully long time, but please take a look anyway.

So I joined the culinary program at my local city college. I have no grand illusions of becoming a chef (we all know where grand illusions end up: flipping burgers at Denny's during the night shift), but I did want to learn all the "proper" techniques and things you can't very well teach yourself at home, like how to butcher a pig.

I would like to caution you against trying to learn to butcher a pig at home.

It's not really all that difficult, with practice, but it's awfully messy. I'd suggest doing it at the beach instead. Much easier clean-up that way.

OR do what I did and practice on the myriad deer that decided to commit suicide-by-ECH's-truck. Obviously different animals are different but it will give you a basic feel for the cutting strokes and how to cleanly separate the joints. The prime cuts for large hoofed mammals are all reasonably similar anyway.

DECI4

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 11, 2012, 07:33:00 AM
Quote from: DECI4 on January 02, 2012, 04:44:58 AM
Bump!

You aren't going to learn how to butcher a pig in Culinary school. Butchering is a very specialized technique that you are not going to become competent at by simply watching someone and taking notes. There are very few chefs in the world even in 3 star restaurants that butcher whole animals in house. If you really have the money and time to burn, by all means enjoy your classes, but the fact is, without years of practice and repetition a semi-competent home cook is all you will ever be, and you can attain that rank without spending thousands of dollars on school. You can find any information or technique on youtube for free, spend the money on ingredients, cookbooks, some decent knives and kitchen tools, not to mention eating well at respected restaurants in your area.

Alternatively you could use your schooling to land an internship at a decent restaurant and spend a year working part time in a real kitchen. You will learn more doing prep and making salads in the kitchen of a good chef than you will in culinary school.

Now I KNOW you aren't a chef.

First of all, plenty of restaurants do their own butchering in-house. Or have you never heard of farm-to-table? :lulz:

Second of all, they're called externships, which you would have known if you'd ever actually worked in the restaurant industry.

There is a difference between breaking down a whole pig and portioning meat. How many tenderloins do you think you get out of one pig? How many sweetbreads are you going to get from a cow? You really haven't thought this through.
And I'm known as such

So move out of your seat