News:

Your political affiliations, your brand loyalties, and your opinions are all quicker, easier, and contain no user-serviceable parts.

Main Menu

Fact check, Plz.

Started by LMNO, December 11, 2009, 04:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

MMIX

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2009, 05:15:18 PM
Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 05:14:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2009, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 04:54:23 PM
Would the war of 1812 count?

No, at the time, Canada and England, were part of Britain and as such were part of a constitutional monarchy.

fixed to fit the thread title 

I didn't realize the thread title was "PEDANTIC PRICKS ITT".

And a constitutional monarchy can also be a democracy. Hence the whole having a Parliament thing. 
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 05:22:08 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2009, 05:15:18 PM
Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 05:14:37 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 11, 2009, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 04:54:23 PM
Would the war of 1812 count?

No, at the time, Canada and England, were part of Britain and as such were part of a constitutional monarchy.

fixed to fit the thread title 

I didn't realize the thread title was "PEDANTIC PRICKS ITT".

And a constitutional monarchy can also be a democracy. Hence the whole having a Parliament thing. 

MMIX, go play in traffic.  Fuckweasel.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

MMIX

Boy you get tetchy when someone points out that you are as just fallible as the rest of us.

MMIX laughing at you
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 05:30:37 PM
Boy you get tetchy when someone points out that you are as just fallible as the rest of us.

MMIX laughing at you

No, actually, I'm just annoyed when pedantic fuckwads have to prove how smart they are, no matter how badly it derails the thread.  I have been wrong on this board many times, and I have owned up to it (ask Nigel, she has called me on several errors this month alone).  It's just that I hate you, and I don't feel the need to engage in civil conversation with you, as I do with her and others.

You're a fucking moron.  Please die in a burn ward.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

MMIX

I'm not smart and I don't claim to be - I think I might have been for a while I think, but I gave it up for Lent one year and, after 40 days without it it never seemed that important any more. Boringly I was actually providing "facts" as per the thread title - you did Engineering and physics or whatever I was doing History. I stand by my first post - The American War of Independence was against a democracy - the franchise might have been extended but Gt Britain was a constitutional monarchy even back then which by definition is a democracy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 06:07:29 PM
I'm not smart and I don't claim to be - I think I might have been for a while I think, but I gave it up for Lent one year and, after 40 days without it it never seemed that important any more. Boringly I was actually providing "facts" as per the thread title - you did Engineering and physics or whatever I was doing History. I stand by my first post - The American War of Independence was against a democracy - the franchise might have been extended but Gt Britain was a constitutional monarchy even back then which by definition is a democracy.

It's possible to correct facts without being a prick about it, if you try.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

WRONG.  It's a monarchy.

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861688242/constitutional_monarchy.html

Quoteconstitutional monarchy

con·sti·tu·tion·al mon·ar·chy (plural con·sti·tu·tion·al mon·ar·chies)

noun 

Definition:

1. political system: a political system in which the head of state is a king or queen ruling to the extent allowed by a constitution

2. royal-ruled country: a country with a constitutional monarchy

You will note that the words "democracy" or "rule of the people" do not appear in that definition.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on December 11, 2009, 06:11:50 PM

It's possible to correct facts without being a prick about it, if you try.

Yes, but that's not what MMIX was attempting.  MMIX was intending to be a prick by (incorrectly) correcting "facts".

LMNO

I think the stumbling point here is that constitution =/= democracy?

LMNO
-still figuring this stuff out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on December 11, 2009, 06:16:17 PM
I think the stumbling point here is that constitution =/= democracy?

LMNO
-still figuring this stuff out.

This is correct.  England's parliament, at the time of the war of 1812, was dominated by the house of lords, who were not elected. 

Thurnez Isa

I wouldn't extend democracy to 1700's early 1800's Britian considering middle class males didn't even get the vote till the 1830's. Extending democracy before that is one hell of a stretch.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on December 11, 2009, 06:25:15 PM

I wouldn't extend democracy to 1700's early 1800's Britian considering middle class males didn't even get the vote till the 1830's. Extending democracy before that is one hell of a stretch.

Not only that, the king could and did shut down the house of commons at will:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1812

QuoteThe fourth United Kingdom Parliament was dissolved on 29 September 1812. The new Parliament was summoned to meet on 24 November 1812, for a maximum seven year term from that date. The maximum term could be and normally was curtailed, by the monarch dissolving the Parliament, before its term expired.

The only effective check on the king was the house of lords, the members of which gained their seats through being in the peerage, not via election.

MMIX

That would be the British Parliament then, and what is your support for the claim that the, unelected, House of Lords was dominant. Are you saying that because our upper house is still unelected, that  contemporary Britain is not a democracy?

NB I was not trying to be a prick but I get really ansty when people call Britain "England" - its like saying that all Americans live in Washington because that's where the capital is

And The Queen technically can still send all the politicians home like naughty schoolkids if the whim takes her.

Thurnez I take your point about the limited franchise but that was what constituted democracy back then. Democracy just means "people power" and who is to be regarded as one of "the people" is wildly variable over time

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 06:41:17 PM
That would be the British Parliament then, and what is your support for the claim that the, unelected, House of Lords was dominant. Are you saying that because our upper house is still unelected, that  contemporary Britain is not a democracy?

Already dealt with, see above. 

Quote from: MMIX on December 11, 2009, 06:41:17 PM
NB I was not trying to be a prick but I get really ansty when people call Britain "England" - its like saying that all Americans live in Washington because that's where the capital is

No, you already stated you were posting in an attempt to piss me off (to wit "LAUGHING AT YOU LOLOLOL")  Don't lose your balls now, for Chrissakes.

Face it, you got owned while being a pedantic shit.  Get over it.