News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

HELP - Ive got some virus on my comp

Started by The Johnny, December 18, 2009, 10:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Im not sure, since comp is in the workshop once again, but it seems that BullGuard is not a good alternative (i think it killed the explorer), so i was stuck on the startup desktop visualization, but no icons nor toolbar emerged ever.

Thanks for the responses and the fix for MyDoom. (And yes, im at a cyber-cafe  :cry:)
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Never ever heard of BullGuard. They reviews seem to say, "Meh, s'ok."

NotPublished

I think instead of trusting an anti-virus to actively scan, work on being more careful to. IE is pretty shit to browse with; I don't know if its true or not, but Google Chrome seems safer to run when visiting shit websites. Or go with Firefox

I like using Spybot Search and Destroy, but I rarely scan
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Triple Zero

I had bullguard, it came as a trial version with my Medion netbook. I was kind of offended by the big red window popping up every boot telling me YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK PAY US PROTECTION MONEY BEFORE THE TRIAL EXPIRES OR ELSE especially when the popup did not disappear after the trial period expired, it was pretty hostile ...

i repeat, one advice for those who insist on getting an anti-virus program, disable the "resident shield", the thing that checks for viruses all the time every time you download something. you have no idea how much of a performance impact this causes, and very often it is enabled by default on installation. instead use the AV-program's scheduling feature to schedule a weekly scan at some convenient time, when you know your computer is switched on, but you also won't be bothered by your harddisk rattling like crazy.

I used to have that scheduled scan, but it never found anything so I just got rid of the entire thing.

Another thing, an AV program will probably not protect you from any but perhaps the largest botnet infections. And there are very many smaller ones. Regular Windows updates help a bit more in that respect, but regardless if you are unable to keep your computer clean without those tools, virus scanners simply are not going to protect you fully.

In fact it's been months now, I shall run a scan now, for shits and giggles. Seems I completely wiped ClamWin, I shall get AVG now, ClamWin was kind of slow and crappy (but opensource) anyway. I hope I can get AVG to not install itself as a resident shield right away, I don't want that thing in my systray.

NotPublished: Google Chrome is a really real bad choice from a privacy point of view, as well as that it seems to be not maintained as actively concerning vulnerabilities compared to Opera and Firefox. The advice to not use IE when possible is of course very sound :)

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

NotPublished

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah I have had some pretty shit experiences with Active Shield, it didn't stop Brontok.E (I think is one of the weirdest viruses.. It was pinging playboy and some malaysian government site) - it changed all of my associations in the registry... EXEs wouldn't even run when double clicked on. Kind of retarded.

I really like Opera and Chromes peformance, Mozilla lags for me a bit (But it is such a charm). IE is more so a force of habbit.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Triple Zero

and done, no viruses, and the stupid thing did try to enable "resident shield" even though I checked it off during install and now I have a stupid icon in my systray and no idea of how to disable it even though I disabled the resident shield again.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

The Johnny

Since the technicians are off on a long holiday, they borrowed me some functional, average power computer (cant handle properly my habit of millions of tabs on the internet explorer, while listening to music and downloading stuff).
And i haz infected it with what seems the same thing  :lulz: btw, i tried the MyDoom remover, but it just invokes a registry error that i dont understand.

The good thing is that its still running and hasnt slowed down (more than it originally is).

My theory is that Bullguard nuked the explorer in mine.

BTW, i used to have BitDefender AV and never had any problem until a month after it expired. I should get a new subscription to that.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Jasper

With my obligatory windows box, I've achieved satisfaction by just backing up what I can't find online, not doing stupid shit, and running CCleaner regularly. 

It helps to know what counts as "stupid shit".

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 23, 2009, 04:26:08 PM
and done, no viruses, and the stupid thing did try to enable "resident shield" even though I checked it off during install and now I have a stupid icon in my systray and no idea of how to disable it even though I disabled the resident shield again.
damn.
i did the same damn thing and had the same damn results.
including the resident shield being reenabled after disabling it.
That only happens once though.

oh one difference:
AVG said that two executables of a game were viri.
They really aren't.
The entire internet agrees.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Johnny

Quote from: BAI on December 31, 2009, 11:01:10 AM
QuoteAnd i haz infected it with what seems the same thing

What is it that you are doing to get the same thing happen with both?

I must be something pretty standard for you to do, to bugger the loaner that fast. You are not using a kazzaa type p2p are ya? coz those things are minefields of fail.

Putting the Adobe Flash Player plugin in Firefox, or raising the threshold of storage for it for playing some stupid games on Kongregate.com  :lulz: that, or im being targeted via IP address somehow.

And yea, i know the deal with Ares/Kazaa, i only use Soulseek (although last month ive not done any downloading via P2P at all).

-B.F. Skinner

Triple Zero

BAI you shouldnt have to disable your Firewall to gain speed unless you got a dumb one that does way more than it's supposed to do. It's the resident "anti virus" shield that eats your performance.

I could recommend to get an old version of Kerio Personal Firewall (from oldversion.com or whatever the place is called, you know it). It does the very basic supervised learning whitelist of "allow program X to communicate with protocol Y on port Z" and that's it. The newer versions also seem to think it's okay to do some HTTP/HTML filtering, which is of course way out of line for a firewall [better rely on a secure browser or the NoScript firefox plugin].

I gotta admit I don't run a firewall either cause my router(s) perform similar functions. However it does make me kind of paranoid not having the finegrained control and being able to see what is connecting with what on my computer (Kerio showed a list of all connections when you doubleclick on the systray icon). And of course when I'm connecting via someone else's wireless I cannot trust on my router anymore.

Freeky

I read the title as "HELP I've got some virus on my poomp".

:lulz: Oopsie.

The Good Reverend Roger

Thanks for bringing the virus here, JohNyx, you goddamn Typhoid Mary!   :argh!:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 31, 2009, 05:24:10 PM
Thanks for bringing the virus here, JohNyx, you goddamn Typhoid Mary!   :argh!:

Several internet cafés that i used last month i tried to access PD forums but i got a 505 error, and i thought "Oh fuck, no way".

This is in the context of a nightmareish time im having which includes:

-My precious died twice (ohh my love, my darling HP Paviliion)
-My car almost stolen if i didnt prevent it (FUCK FORBID i would want to watch a movie while leaving the car outside, in a safe city such as Queretaro)
-Having to make a last minute project (the gender role essay i posted in OKM, because of some obscure requisite to take a test)
-Having to make two and a half hour trip to interview a passive agressive, ignorant and distracted C***
-Getting sick
-And now having like 3 days left to study some 400 pages of stuff like incest, significants according to Lacan, and family.

FML

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Delete the Win32 folder, then fill up an ice cold bath and reboot your computer while it is submersed in the water.  Sacrifice a small mouse to Moloch, then ring Microsoft Customer Support.