News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

parenting - good idea/bad idea

Started by Elder Iptuous, December 17, 2009, 06:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quoteparenting

generally a bad idea.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Dysfunctional Cunt

Now some of the stuff being talked about, yeah, I've done.  I'll tell my kids the monster is in the closet and hand them a baseball bat to go kill it.  Then when they see there is no monster.... Well they learn to check shit out for themselves. 

My oldest son (this was when we were in FL) got caught with those little tree frogs a couple of times at school.  Then the little shit filled his whole bookbag with the damned things (over 200) and took them to school and let them go in the teachers desk.  So when I picked him up for his suspension I told him my real concern was him catching the green dot golblutz from touching all those frogs.  That this dreaded disease could kill him if he broke out in the green spots, the only cure was a series of 15 shots in various parts of his body.  Then that night I took a permanent green sharpie and covered him with dots.   :evil:  To this day he won't go near a frog even though he knows the truth.  I just wish I could have gotten the Dr to give him a couple of shots in the series......

I personally, and this may be because of my totally whacked out life, have been brutally honest with my kids.  As a result, they are very very serious kids.  When they do try to be funny it is extremely sarcastic and tends to piss people off. 

So I don't know which is the right way to go.  I have 3 and at this point, I just want them to graduate high school and get the hell out of my refridgerator. 

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Khara on December 17, 2009, 10:30:31 PM
I just want them to graduate high school and get the hell out of my refridgerator. 

THIS!  :lulz:

Cain

Parenting, in general, is a terrible idea.

This is what letting your children run wild and get raised by wolves is for.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Squid on December 18, 2009, 05:46:20 AM
Quote from: Khara on December 17, 2009, 10:30:31 PM
I just want them to graduate high school and get the hell out of my refridgerator. 

THIS!  :lulz:

*snirf* that reminds me I still have some mouldy leftovers ... they grow up so quickly ... :cry:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

My father used to mess with my head--insisting I was not a true human, born as a human baby.  I was this "slimy little thing" (he had no word for it, just that description) that he found under a rock one day (sometimes it was by the side of the road, sometimes in an alley), and he had to take me to the hospital to perform an operation to make me into a baby.  When I got old enough to protest that I had baby pictures of myself with my mother in the hospital, he said she'd loved me that much to go with me and make sure I was ok.

I'm not sure if this made me question him more, or what...because I remember being affected by this story for a long while.  Mostly because I think I really WANTED to believe him, but he always at the end told me it wasn't true and how could I be so gullible?

Of course, my dad was the one who, when I'd ask stuff like "If men have Adam's apples, what do women have?" would answer "Eve's oranges."

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on December 18, 2009, 09:22:47 AM
Parenting, in general, is a terrible idea.

This is what letting your children run wild and get raised by wolves is for.

Maybe so, but most women's mothering instinct won't let them. So they go batshit insane themselves while they keep the babies. :lulz:

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Iptuous on December 17, 2009, 07:03:07 PM
...then i will casually mention, "just wait till your baby fingers start falling off."...

My sister is having her third son, at this very moment, and after i take off from work to go up to the hospital, i will see him.  I will report back how the conversation goes...

Parenting: Not without risk! 
New nephew came into the world amidst drama...  My sister was at the hospital in one of those rooms that looks relatively comfortable and homey, but if there is an emergency, it transforms autobot style into future tech surgery cube.  My brother in law got to see it transform.  Sister and nephew are both alive and ok 8), but it was sketchy there for a while... :eek:

So I didn't get to tell her oldest son that his baby fingers were going to fall off eventually...
:sad:

Jenne

Glad they made it through ok.  I had a dicey situation myself with my first--that was no fun.

Freeky

I have a friend who barely survived childbirth. She had to stay in the hospital for four days, and take a pill every 4 hours I think to stop her from bleeding to death.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 18, 2009, 05:50:55 PM
I have a friend who barely survived childbirth. She had to stay in the hospital for four days, and take a pill every 4 hours I think to stop her from bleeding to death.

Yeah, kinda sucks that my sister's going to have to stay in the hospital through her birthday on the 20th... :sad:

Freeky

The 20th is my mom's birthday. Small world.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Being a parent is not that bad as long as you stay on top of things. If you start slipping your progeny will sense your weakness and that's when they strike. You must me an iron-fisted tyrant and they will not dare defy you.

StD,
keeps an elephant gun loaded with tranquilizer darts on the wall in preparation for the day he slips.