News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Brunswick Stew

Started by Dysfunctional Cunt, December 21, 2009, 03:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dysfunctional Cunt

I think this is the catch all of soups/stews.  It was always the one my grandma made when she had a little of this and a little of that left over and wanted to cleanout the freezer/fridge.  Anyway, I had a hankering and this is what I ended up with....

1 whole chicken
about 1 1/2 pounds of leftover pork roast
same of pot roast
couple/three of bags of frozen mix veggies  - or whatever leftover or fresh veg you want to add
10 small potatoes peeled and diced
2 cans cream style corn - must have
4 cans whole tomatoes
4 stalks celery small dice
1 large or 2 small onions diced chunky

3 cloves garlic minced, a pinch of sage, 3 pinches of pepperocino, about 3 tsp fresh ground black pepper, I had leftover parsley and chopped about 1 cup up, added another bay leaf and about 5 scrapes from a nutmeg nut.  Add this with the chicken to the soup.

Cover the chicken with well salted water, add celery, couple of crushed garlic cloves, onion, bay leaf and a touch of sage.  Make sure you skim well, not only for foam but fat as the stock is the base of your soup. 

When the chicken is about halfway done, start a pot of well salted water, add the usual herb and add your veg... no tomatoes, potatoes or celery.

While this is happening, you can chop your fresh veg and shred your pork and beef.

When chicken is done take out and strain the stick into a large bowl.  Add about 3/4 the stock back into the pot with the pork and beef.  Strain your veg (keep veg stock to the side) add veg, tomatoes and onions.  (NO not the celery or potatoes yet....  :D)

Let this simmer while your chicken cools and then shred the chicken and add back into the soup with the herbs.  Bring to a full boil.  Add both cans of creamed corn.  Bring back to a boil.  Add your potatoes and celery.  Let simmer and go watch football....  Except don't bother watching the Rams, they suck ass!!!  When the potatoes and celery are done, so is the soup. 

This is supposed to be a very thick stew, but if it is too thick you can thin it with the leftover veg stock.  Remember to shred your meat, don't chunk it, that is one of the things with this stew...

Eat with crusty bread and if you have leftovers they freeze really well!!!

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Jenne

*love* kitchen-sink-type soup/stew recipes like this!  Thanks, Khara!

Ocalee