News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Mom Calls 911 Over Son's Non-Stop Gaming

Started by Dalek, December 22, 2009, 09:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I think this points to an overabundance of the "This hurts me more than it hurts you" school of parenting. That sort of mentality, I mean, unwillingness to provide discipline where needed out of some sort of second circuit weakness.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

It points to weakass parents not being able to pull a cord out of the socket because they are AFRAID of their own KIDS.

And kids are like any other predato--I mean being--they smell your fear and react accordingly.  Fucking pull the plug, folks.  They won't die.  You won't die.  They'll be pissed, and loud.  You shoulda nipped that shit in the bud when they were 2 instead of letting them piss and poo their pants and then cleaning it up for them.

Sorry.  My idiot ranting button goes off over shit like this.

themenniss

now THAT'S good parenting.
a role model to us all I'm sure.

i mean how can it be that you can't control your 14 year old son?
what my mum did with me during that phase: told me to keep it quiet and then i could game as much as i wanted. eventually the sleep deprivation made me stop.
'I talk aloud to all those who listen. when nobody does, i talk aloud to myself.'

NotPublished

I never understood why the root of the problem seems to be avoided in alot of cases. Just a quick fix, and all is well .. until 10 minutes later.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Cait M. R.

Quote from: themenniss on December 23, 2009, 09:45:27 AM
now THAT'S good parenting.
a role model to us all I'm sure.

i mean how can it be that you can't control your 14 year old son?
what my mum did with me during that phase: told me to keep it quiet and then i could game as much as i wanted. eventually the sleep deprivation made me stop.

This. Also I have chronic sleeping problems to begin with. So Yeah.

Dysnomia

Yoink the computer/console/tv/whatever out of his room because he's being a little shit, and be done with it. 

:horrormirth:
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Salty

Quote from: Jenne on December 23, 2009, 04:56:13 AM
You shoulda nipped that shit in the bud when they were 2 instead of letting them piss and poo their pants and then cleaning it up for them.

QFT.

Seriously. You can just see the spoiled toddler in most fully grown assholes. Toddlers have to be the most selfish, greedy, merciless human beings on the planet. And they'll stay that way unless you fill them with the Fear.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

AFK

Quote from: Alty on December 23, 2009, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: Jenne on December 23, 2009, 04:56:13 AM
You shoulda nipped that shit in the bud when they were 2 instead of letting them piss and poo their pants and then cleaning it up for them.

QFT.

Seriously. You can just see the spoiled toddler in most fully grown Congressmen. Congressmen have to be the most selfish, greedy, merciless human beings on the planet. And they'll stay that way unless you fill them with the Fear.

fixed

RWHN,
low-hanging fruit harvester
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Salty

The Good Reverend Roger

Hammer + Video console + smile on your face while you do it = Children listen next time.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

This is the dumbest shit I've heard in almost 5 minutes. (http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2009/12/tea-partier-calls-c-span-worried-his-prayers-for-byrd-to-die-got-inhofe-instead.php was the last thing that was on this level of stupidity)

Why does he have a video game system in his room? If she would never buy him that game why does he have it? WHY...

You know what, never mind.

Instead of going on a rant, I'm going to post a picture of a retarded tiger:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 23, 2009, 05:54:38 PM

Why does he have a video game system in his room? If she would never buy him that game why does he have it? WHY...

My guess?  Because the kid asked for money, and she gave it to him.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Chief Uwachiquen

The only reason I got to have a video game system in my room as a kid is because I always was good at putting it down, and if I was ever at an inconvenient moment I would, politely, ask if I could get to a save point before shutting it off because I didn't wanna lose my data. Of course that wasn't until I was slightly older, 13-14 I think. And instead of sheltering me from blood and gore until adulthood when I was interested in stuff with violence in it they just sat me down and explained that it was fake and for entertainment and to not try any of the shit in there for real. Fuck, I think one of the funniest things I've seen to date is one of my parents playing Turok and emptying a clip into a dead raptor after they had the gall to sneak up on him.  :lulz:

Salty

I played/watched whatever I felt like with no restrictions whatsoever. Late night graphic violence and nudity when I could get it since I was about, oh, 7?

No one explained shit to me.

LOOK AT HOW WELL ADJUSTED I AM!

In all honesty I wish someone had told me to turn that shit off and go to bed/go outside.

maphdet

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-