Mom Calls 911 Over Son's Non-Stop Gaming

Started by Dalek, December 22, 2009, 09:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on December 23, 2009, 07:42:47 PM
The only reason I got to have a video game system in my room as a kid is because I always was good at putting it down, and if I was ever at an inconvenient moment I would, politely, ask if I could get to a save point before shutting it off because I didn't wanna lose my data. Of course that wasn't until I was slightly older, 13-14 I think. And instead of sheltering me from blood and gore until adulthood when I was interested in stuff with violence in it they just sat me down and explained that it was fake and for entertainment and to not try any of the shit in there for real. Fuck, I think one of the funniest things I've seen to date is one of my parents playing Turok and emptying a clip into a dead raptor after they had the gall to sneak up on him.  :lulz:

I had access to computers and video games since I was 3 and multiple video game systems in my room since I was about 12, but I also listened to my parents because I knew better. If my kid ever defied me like that he'd be nostrils-deep in shit. He'd be lucky to get more entertainment than a text-book if he ever fucked up like that. So far my boy is pretty well-behaved/well-adjusted though, I'm either lucky or doing something right.

StD,
tyrant extraordinaire.

Cain

I didn't have a gaming system in my room until University.

For real.  We only had one TV in the house, which was of course downstairs (meaning I needed permission to hook up my games console with it, or for everyone else to be out of the house), and even when I got my first desktop, my room was so small it needed to go in the kitchen.

I hated kids with TVs in their room, mainly because I lived in a semi-detatched house, and our neighbours used TV as control for their ADHD child, which, because of thin walls, could keep me up until 3am.  Not cool, when I had exams on.

Jasper

I used to be huge on video games, had several systems in my room and a computer too.  Spoiled me rotten.  Now that I'm all of 23 years old, I'd rather have an expensive bed and a robotic toilet than any game system.

Chief Uwachiquen

Reginald Ret

never heard of em?
They've got golden seats.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Freeky

I had a gamecube hooked up to a tv in my room through high school. I wasn't very good at getting off for dinner and bed and things, and while my parents threatened, they never did anything to stop me.  :|

Bu🤠ns

I let my kid have a couple days where he plays video games for reasonable period of time and couple days off.

I think it's helping to teach moderation.  Growing up, I used to play video games until i was just sick of it and could probably have used a bit more of a balanced schedule.

AFK

I ordered a Wii for my birthday.  We just got the Sports game that came with it and the Wii Play game, and one other.  At first, my daughter wanted to play it every night after dinner.  And she still likes to play it occasionally, but whatever amount of obsession she had when it arrived quickly dissipated.  And also, now she has a drum set.   :D
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.