News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

"Legal highs" now, er illegal

Started by Cain, December 23, 2009, 10:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Hangshai on December 23, 2009, 07:34:42 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on December 23, 2009, 11:56:03 AM

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease not this discussion again :aww:

judging from your postcount you probably just signed up after the thread died down:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=22958.0

if you want, read it and note that pretty much all arguments in favor and against have been made, and consensus was not reached, but a funny pun thread was started instead for a much-neede diversion.

I think maybe this can be said for EVERY thread on this goddamn forum.

Sorry you're stuck here with us.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 23, 2009, 07:33:54 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on December 23, 2009, 07:29:03 PM
I think we should start advertising more things as legal highs.  See how many things we can get banned.

Wouldn't take too much, a site selling "legal highs" and some e-mails from concerned parents who's children have messed themselves up.

The interesting part would be coming up with silly things to try to get them to ban.

This was done by Thornely in the 60s.  He and some cohorts spread a rumor that banana peels can get you high, if dried and smoked.  This was to see how many stupid hippies would go for it, and how many states would attempt to legislate the sales of bananas.

Thousands of people still believed banana peels would get you high, all the way into the 90s (probably still do), and at least one state attempted to make it illegal to sell bananas in their peels.  I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure the bill didn't pass.

ROFL< yeah... though according to his bio he actually tried it himself first (with friends) and it was a terrible experience... SO THEN he made sure to convince everyone that it was 'real'.

Gotta love the madmen!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

BabylonHoruv

I think we should start advertising more things as legal highs.  See how many things we can get banned.

Wouldn't take too much, a site selling "legal highs" and some e-mails from concerned parents who's children have messed themselves up.

The interesting part would be coming up with silly things to try to get them to ban.

This was done by Thornely in the 60s.  He and some cohorts spread a rumor that banana peels can get you high, if dried and smoked.  This was to see how many stupid hippies would go for it, and how many states would attempt to legislate the sales of bananas.

Thousands of people still believed banana peels would get you high, all the way into the 90s (probably still do), and at least one state attempted to make it illegal to sell bananas in their peels.  I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure the bill didn't pass.

I tried smoking banana peels while I was a foolish teen.  Got the idea from the Anarchist cookbook.  I didn't know that started with Thornley.  I think it needs more concerned parents.

The idea of it being something like Kraft macaroni and cheese is a fun idea.

And yeah, it is a terrible experience.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on December 23, 2009, 07:38:12 PM
I think we should start advertising more things as legal highs.  See how many things we can get banned.

I tried smoking banana peels while I was a foolish teen.  Got the idea from the Anarchist cookbook.  I didn't know that started with Thornley.  I think it needs more concerned parents.

Yeah, the thing to remember is that a good sized chunk of the AC is absolute crap.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 23, 2009, 07:39:16 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on December 23, 2009, 07:38:12 PM

Yeah, the thing to remember is that a good sized chunk of the AC is absolute crap.

My current attitude toward it is that it is a piece of CIA propoganda designed to kill Anarchists. This may not be true, but it is about the healthiest way to approach the book.  I should have known when I read the bits about dealing with Anarchists who were not "sincere" enough, but I was a bit too open minded when I was younger.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Cainad (dec.)

Wait, the banana peel thing was Kerry Thornley's doing? :lulz: Hoo boy, this religion just got a little bit more hilarious in my mind.

Hangshai

All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

Triple Zero

Thornley started that rumour???? WOW :eek:

It even memed over to europe, I know at least one of my friends that tried it in their young and stupid teenage years.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

so yeah are there any references that prove it was Thornley? another discordian "accomplishment"
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 23, 2009, 07:55:25 PM
so yeah are there any references that prove it was Thornley?

No, considering I just totally made that part up.

The Good Reverend Roger

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

so yeah are there any references that prove it was Thornley? another discordian "accomplishment"

All I've seen are the references in his biography where he tried it and it was terrmible so he spread the rumor all over the place. But I think he first heard it from someone and that's why he tried it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 23, 2009, 08:00:57 PM

All I've seen are the references in his biography where he tried it and it was terrmible so he spread the rumor all over the place. But I think he first heard it from someone and that's why he tried it.

I didn't even know that was the case.  I totally pulled it out of my ass.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 23, 2009, 08:02:53 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 23, 2009, 08:00:57 PM

I didn't even know that was the case.  I totally pulled it out of my ass.

Aw, Roger, you mean Eris punk'd you with synchronicity?

:lulz:

The bit in his bioography is very funny... apparently they tried to mash the banana peels up and dry then in the oven, resulting in some blackish stuff which was so harsh they almost choked up a lung...

Triple Zero

Good enough, I will tell everybody.