News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE?

Started by Shibboleet The Annihilator, December 23, 2009, 11:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratssinis

I want to make video games. I currently have accomplished NOTHING toward this goal except for failing a Digital Animation course at the local Technical Institute and playing lots of video games.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on December 24, 2009, 01:15:50 AM
I want to spend my life being unemployed, gaining weight, and socializing exclusively with people I never see face-to-face.

RCH,
livin' the dream, baby!

KEEP ON TRUCKIN BROTHA!

...or join the USAF.

StD,
heard the pay was good.

Quote from: Ratssinis on December 24, 2009, 01:17:58 AM
I want to make video games. I currently have accomplished NOTHING toward this goal except for failing a Digital Animation course at the local Technical Institute and playing lots of video games.

STOP BEING A FUCK UP AND APPLY YOURSELF!

If you can't apply yourself to digital animation try your hand at art/design, marketing or programming. If you can't do any of this, start looking for something else.

Cait M. R.

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 24, 2009, 01:20:30 AM

If you can't apply yourself to digital animation try your hand at art/design, marketing or programming. If you can't do any of this, start looking for something else.

I'm actually designing an iPhone game that should be out when I find a goddamned programmer and have my wonderful PD.com helpers finish the stuff they're doing for me. I'm hoping to have it in a playable state by 2010.

If you want any help with the less-concrete parts of game design, Freeky, (game flow, level design, pacing, mechanics design, difficulty balance, etc) just ask me. I can't help with any of the real-world development stuff, though, just what you need to write a good design document and keep the people in charge from ruining everything.

Also, I highly suggest learning to program. I missed out on that shit when I had the chance and now nobody wants to teach me. And finding a goddamn programmer is easily the hardest part of this so far: I've run into two, and both wimped out. Compare to the 5 musicians and 16 (!) artists who were interested, most of whom (again) flaked but THANK GOD FOR PEEDY.

(FTR: you can get very good deals in the game industry if you have "bonus" skills. Architectural design, knowing most common game release languages and screenwriting skills are all highly coveted in the current market. At least two of those would make you invaluable to whatever company you worked for. Nevertheless, I highly suggest you avoid large companies if you go into the field because they have absolutely criminal hours. 100 hour weeks are not uncommon during crunch time, and no matter how valuable you are, you're expendable if you can't work those.)

NotPublished

I had many goals, but I found a much better one.

I just want to enjoy myself.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

President Television

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 24, 2009, 01:02:19 AM
CHUCK PALAHNIUK WANTS YOU TO SUCCEED!
                \

/
YOU ARE NOT A BOOK!

THANKS A LOT CHUCK! I FEEL LIKE I COULD EAT A TRAIN FOR BREAKFAST!
BUT I'D RATHER NOT!
:walken:
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 24, 2009, 01:35:08 AM

I'm actually designing an iPhone game that should be out when I find a goddamned programmer and have my wonderful PD.com helpers finish the stuff they're doing for me. I'm hoping to have it in a playable state by 2010.

If you want any help with the less-concrete parts of game design, Freeky, (game flow, level design, pacing, mechanics design, difficulty balance, etc) just ask me. I can't help with any of the real-world development stuff, though, just what you need to write a good design document and keep the people in charge from ruining everything.

Also, I highly suggest learning to program. I missed out on that shit when I had the chance and now nobody wants to teach me. And finding a goddamn programmer is easily the hardest part of this so far: I've run into two, and both wimped out. Compare to the 5 musicians and 16 (!) artists who were interested, most of whom (again) flaked but THANK GOD FOR PEEDY.

(FTR: you can get very good deals in the game industry if you have "bonus" skills. Architectural design, knowing most common game release languages and screenwriting skills are all highly coveted in the current market. At least two of those would make you invaluable to whatever company you worked for. Nevertheless, I highly suggest you avoid large companies if you go into the field because they have absolutely criminal hours. 100 hour weeks are not uncommon during crunch time, and no matter how valuable you are, you're expendable if you can't work those.)

Consider designing games for Android and WebOS. It's a smaller market and in many cases the apps are easily ported. Android and WebOS are going to be big. Also consider other Linux friendly OSes like Maemo.

Quote from: NotPublished on December 24, 2009, 01:40:18 AM
I had many goals, but I found a much better one.

I just want to enjoy myself.

DO EET!
\
:lord:

Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on December 24, 2009, 01:40:30 AM
Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 24, 2009, 01:02:19 AM
CHUCK PALAHNIUK WANTS YOU TO SUCCEED!
                \

/
YOU ARE NOT A BOOK!

THANKS A LOT CHUCK! I FEEL LIKE I COULD EAT A TRAIN FOR BREAKFAST!
BUT I'D RATHER NOT!
:walken:

TRAINS ARE DELICIOUS IN RESPONSIBLE PORTIONS!
\

/
EAT DELICIOUS WIN-TRAINS AS PART OF A BALANCED MEAL!

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Salty

I've just recently reached my goal of earning a living working with my hands and not having an employer. Now just need to keep it up while I work at:

earning a living by writing whatever people will throw money at me for writing.
Preferably fiction. Got my ass in gear last year and finished 1st draft. Working on the shame/guilt cycle which will propel me through the 2nd draft.

Should fiction fail, or take my estimated 10 years to accomplish, technical or other non-ficion writing will do. Trouble is, a life in front of the tv has left me with little life experience useful to a writer. Working on that by gaining professional experience, havin' babbies, and fucking up my safe people-free bubble.

Eventually, I want to have a self-built, efficiently designed home and be able to do my job from anywhere. Whatever my job is.

I am constantly working on this. Unless I'm not.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Cait M. R.

Quote from: Slanket the Destroyer on December 24, 2009, 01:43:30 AM
Quote from: Cait M. R. on December 24, 2009, 01:35:08 AM

Consider designing games for Android and WebOS. It's a smaller market and in many cases the apps are easily ported. Android and WebOS are going to be big. Also consider other Linux friendly OSes like Maemo.

I'm porting it to the phones it'll work for (limited to those with touchscreens) and also all PC OSes (yay mouse). If it's successful at all I MIGHT completely redesign it to work on normal phones, but if and only if that happens. Most likely, it won't get much bigger than the most obscure of Atlus games is in America. I might hit a bigger market if I can get it translated and published in Japanworld.

Only bother with the platforms that have large markets or are easy to port to.

Pariah

I want to finally get out of school and have a job where I can
A) Spend Times outdoors
B) Dick around
C) Have free time

I'm not doing it now because of truancy laws and the face that I'm three years away from getting my highschool diploma  :sad:
Play safe! Ski only in a clockwise direction! Let's all have fun together!

Kai

I spend my days learning, reading, and doing various other activities of wonder and debauchery. When I have time, I get payed to stare at caddisfly genitalia under a microscope, and sort them like an autistic might sort buttons.

So, what do you think? Pretty damn good life, eh?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish