News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

A rant : Magic (possibly Spirituality to)

Started by NotPublished, December 24, 2009, 01:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singer

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 24, 2009, 06:50:11 PM

Crowley's magic appears to be heavily based on psychology... I'm not sure what you mean by auto-somal...
I mis-spoke.  I should have used auto somatic.  I  am thinking specifically of 'spontaneous remissions' and other forms of self-healing. 
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: singer on December 24, 2009, 07:05:03 PM
Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 24, 2009, 06:50:11 PM

Crowley's magic appears to be heavily based on psychology... I'm not sure what you mean by auto-somal...
I mis-spoke.  I should have used auto somatic.  I  am thinking specifically of 'spontaneous remissions' and other forms of self-healing. 

Ah oh... Well I suppose that could fit in there, though its liklihood of success would be smaller than what Crowley's focusing on in general. Think more along the lines of method acting with the intent to modify one's own psychology and imprinted responses (or someone else if you're doing the magic on them).
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

NotPublished

Quote from: LMNO on December 24, 2009, 01:27:10 PM
The horrendous grammatical error in the subject line of your post has caused me to not actually read anything you've written.

Aw your letting my terrible english stepping in the way ? Atleast point it out :(

NotPublished

Quote from: JohNyx on December 24, 2009, 01:55:14 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on December 24, 2009, 01:29:01 AM

Analysis : Magic is the manipulation of energy to manifest a result
accessable.

OMG LOOK AT THE UNICRON MAKING MAGICK

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

NotPublished

Some practices may not be as proveable, but by my understanding, in Ceremonial Magic - all Rituals are set out carefully - everybody is used with a specific reason, all moves are done as written, and everything is recorded.

'Manipulation of Energy to manifest an intent' - There by all actions are just Magic. But, this is a terrible term to use because of all of the JuJu attached to it. Replace Magic with living life and I think it fits in pretty well.

I've seem to of thrown out the idea of unproveable claims, haha. Perhaps my definition of Magic is really skewered at 90 degree angle

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: NotPublished on December 24, 2009, 09:05:38 PM
Some practices may not be as proveable, but by my understanding, in Ceremonial Magic - all Rituals are set out carefully - everybody is used with a specific reason, all moves are done as written, and everything is recorded.

Multiple meanings usually.

'Manipulation of Energy to manifest an intent' - There by all actions are just Magic.

Not all actions are through Will, much of our actions appear based on programming, imprints and automated responses.

NotPublished

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 24, 2009, 09:04:31 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on December 24, 2009, 08:57:06 PM
Then, what the hell is Magic  :eek:

http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=23486.msg799529#msg799529

Cheers I saw that mate. *oops forgot what I was going to write*

QuoteThis is a pretty terrible rant.  The definition of magic used therein is shit.  Using "energy" in the definition and seeming to never define it loses my interest but fast.  To be fair, PD.COM tends not to be a good place to discuss magic at all.  There might be a good thread or five to be made, on the nature of magic.  But you -You're not the only one- assume there's a problem, name it presumptuously, and clatter away at he keyboard.

Thanks dude, I really appreciate that, I do tend to rant alot. If theres something missing I always love it to be pointed out.

NotPublished

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 24, 2009, 09:09:28 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on December 24, 2009, 09:05:38 PM

Multiple meanings usually.

'Manipulation of Energy to manifest an intent' - There by all actions are just Magic.

Not all actions are through Will, much of our actions appear based on programming, imprints and automated responses.
That makes perfect sense. I can't say that then can I

Hangshai

I'm pretty sure the OPs definition of magic IS crowley's definition.  An act of will.
All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

NotPublished

I wonder what Crowley himself believed in, or if he was just one of those "fake it till you make it" .. He did leave his mark regardless.

singer

Quote from: Hangshai on December 24, 2009, 09:19:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the OPs definition of magic IS crowley's definition.  An act of will.
There must be more to it than that, otherwise, by that definition, my pouring a cup of coffee is "magic".

NotPublished

Quote from: singer on December 24, 2009, 09:23:10 PM
Quote from: Hangshai on December 24, 2009, 09:19:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the OPs definition of magic IS crowley's definition.  An act of will.
There must be more to it than that, otherwise, by that definition, my pouring a cup of coffee is "magic".

No .... your right.

I failed to use the definition that Magic was there to claim the unproveable (I ignored that unintentionally), I have focused on the Intent and Results too much.

But you are holding onto the term Magic is just something like a bad taste. There is a strong paradigm behind it. I think its similar to OOP in a way if you know Programming.

QuoteThe basics haven't changed, but the entire method of it has (thats just imo). Is there still a view magic that is this transcended force that isn't in ours to control?

Why is there a need to chant needlessly? I have never done a chant, perhaps I've recited a poem or two but I was forced to.

The idea I have grasped is that it is a means of a way to manifest results, I personally have little reason to talk to myself (When I am mad I vent to some unknown entity .. the side pavement for instance). I have no reason to call on the arch-angels. They have little to no meaning to me. Apart from sounding cool.

The magical thinking paradigm is one thing I DO like however, throw out all of the crap about rules, boundaries, reality itself and just keep at it to a simple thing as; a method to manifest your intention. Anything you use to manifest this intention are your tools. Then re-add all the rules of life itself.

Using this mindset, I am working magic. I am writing a message here, my intent is to push across what my understanding it. I am using the internet to express my will, I am writing words which will meld together on the readers view - maybe they will grasp something, maybe they won't. In the end, my intention isn't far enough to care what another may think.

Magic itself is a tool, another branch in the ways of working in the world. I like using the paradigm, since I can think very well in it. But this could be the programming side in me.

I've posted that on TCC.

singer

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 24, 2009, 09:09:28 PM

With the limited exception of reflex and autonomic response,  all actions are based upon will.  It may not be *My True Will* in that it  may be a desire I absorbed and adopted as my own after imprinting, programming, and automation, but, even so, acting on an adopted desire is still acting through will.