News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

A rant : Magic (possibly Spirituality to)

Started by NotPublished, December 24, 2009, 01:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 06:57:49 PM
even the ones that ought to know better put blindfolds on themselves and run around hollering about the advantages of blindness.

There is some anecdotal evidence that it will improve your hearing.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 07:06:40 PM
even the ones that ought to know better put blindfolds on themselves and run around hollering about the advantages of blindness.

:lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Epimetheus

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 07:05:15 PM
But, if he isn't afraid of the implications, he will work to show his 'belief' thereby strengthening his patients 'belief' which may do something no one has as yet been able to replicate in a laboratory or reduce to a chemical equation.  He does this because there has been enough anecdotal evidence about 'belief' influencing survival rates, both positively and negatively, to use the tool even though he has almost no way to explain it's potential, sometimes, not always replicable, efficacy.

You know a doctor behaving this way? I want to know who the hell it is.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Johnny

But, if he isn't afraid of the implications, he will work to show his 'belief' thereby strengthening his patients 'belief' which may do something no one has as yet been able to replicate in a laboratory or reduce to a chemical equation.  He does this because there has been enough anecdotal evidence about 'belief' influencing survival rates, both positively and negatively, to use the tool even though he has almost no way to explain it's potential, sometimes, not always replicable, efficacy.

Its the placebo effect. Psycho-somatics.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Epimetheus

Quote from: JohNyx on December 29, 2009, 07:20:08 PM

Its the placebo effect. Psycho-somatics.

But the placebo effect can be replicated in experiments. There's a reason you use a placebo group.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

singer

Quote from: Kai on December 29, 2009, 06:42:52 PM

They can indicate patterns, but how well? All I have to work on is someones word, no physical measurements.

Exploration of patterns shows evidence of patterns, period. It takes INFERENCE (hypothesis) to go beyond that. A cladogram doesn't indicate evolutionary relationships, it only indicates a pattern of homologies, which are all individually hypotheses of sameness. From that, I generate a hypothesis of the reality, but that may not be the reality at all. The point is, you can never really KNOW the causal factors, which means you want the best fucking pattern evidence you can get to derive your inferences. Anecdotes don't cut it.
No. Anecdotes don't cut it.  But they may provide the genesis of pattern recognition.  For that reason alone they may have value.

AND:  Is it true that you can never really know the causal factors? (again, not being a smart-ass, I just found that sentence jarring.)

The Good Reverend Roger

No, it improves your listening.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 07:41:28 PM

No, it improves your listening.
Perfect.  Thank you TGRR, that was fun.

LMNO

At the very least, it will prevent me from reading any more of this thread.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: LMNO on December 29, 2009, 07:49:23 PM

O'RLY?

So now I can start posting about how really real I think all of this Magic is then!!!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Too late.  Teh sigilz are burned into your brain.  Quantumly.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Goddammit.

This thread makes me want to go kick homeless puppies.

Fuckers. FUCKERS.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Frenulum Pendulum on December 29, 2009, 08:17:04 PM
Goddammit.

This thread makes me want to go kick homeless puppies.

Fuckers. FUCKERS.

This thread gave me encopresis.

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 07:52:57 PM

Too late.  Teh sigilz are burned into your brain.  Quantumly.

TEH QUANTUMZ.  THEY BURNZ...
  \
:zombie: