News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

HAM BURGAH

Started by Chief Uwachiquen, December 26, 2009, 07:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief Uwachiquen

I have two main staples that I'm subsisting on lately. Hamburger, and Rice. Occasionally sausage if the price actually drops below what hamburger is by-the-pound.

Here are some of the things I've come up with.

Hot and Zesty Sausage Rice Combo Meal (Only Zesty because that's what the sausage said it was on the packaging. HOT AND ZESTY.)

Plain White Rice, although I'm sure other types can be substituted just fine.
Sausage, preferably something with some spicy-ness to begin with.
Egg(s)
Paprika
Salt
White Pepper
Cumin
Garlic Powder
Onion or Onion Powder

Basically, you make your rice according to how much meat you're going to be using. One cup of rice for every half pound of meat you're cooking up. I usually put a little bit of butter in the water as it's coming up to temp. Once the rice is done, pull it off the heat and start the sausage. Break it up into small chunks. If you're using real onion, throw the onion in there after the meat begins to lose it's pinkness.

Once browned, drop the heat down down to just below the halfway point between low and medium. Add the rice. crack the egg and pour it onto the rice and quickly add the spices. (I never actually measured the amounts. I just know that I used them kind of like Paprika > Cumin > Garlic > Pepper > Salt) mix it all up nice and good, wait for the egg to come up to safe temp then pull off the heat.

S'bout it for most of them except I change spices. I did one with plain sausage, oregano, basil, onion, and salt. The only beef one I've done is Ginger, Beef, Rice, profit. I've just had that one the most.

If anyone has other spice ideas for this sort of thing I'd greatly appreciate it. Anything to spice up having the same things over and over again because they're cheap.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Totally sounds like food

someday I will try that.

Try adding a can of diced tomatoes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Try adding any kind of vegetable, in fact.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

NotPublished

I'd avoid using the powders and try to go with mashing Garlic into a smooshy paste and using real Onions. Tomatoes, Capsicum and possibly Spinach would go great with this to.

Though, sounds tasty.
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Chief Uwachiquen

Any specific vegetables come to mind 000? This recipe is essentially a "I'm poor, I need to stretch the meat that I have into lasting as long as possible." recipe and is kind of convenient because the general template for it is Rice + Meat + ????? = Profit.

I'll try it with real garlic next time since it's like, sold by the pound here and I can get a garlic thing. Bulb? I can't remember what it's called for 39 cents. And it IS yummy with real onions. Well, fresh onions.

LMNO

Check out my "Spanish Rice" entry in the Cooking With LMNO thread.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also try leaving out the cumin and rice, adding basil and mushrooms, and eating it on French bread with a sprinkling of parmesan.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Actually, I think there's quite a few cheap eats type threads layin around here somewhere if you just dig em out.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on December 26, 2009, 12:15:33 PMAny specific vegetables come to mind 000? This recipe is essentially a "I'm poor, I need to stretch the meat that I have into lasting as long as possible." recipe and is kind of convenient because the general template for it is Rice + Meat + ????? = Profit.

No, any kind.

For me, a full proper meal must consist of 1) starches [rice/potato/pasta/couscous etc] 2) vegetables and 3) meat.

When I'm poor, the meat becomes optional, not the vegetables.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Nast

Quote from: Triple Zero on December 27, 2009, 03:59:32 PM
Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on December 26, 2009, 12:15:33 PMAny specific vegetables come to mind 000? This recipe is essentially a "I'm poor, I need to stretch the meat that I have into lasting as long as possible." recipe and is kind of convenient because the general template for it is Rice + Meat + ????? = Profit.

No, any kind.

For me, a full proper meal must consist of 1) starches [rice/potato/pasta/couscous etc] 2) vegetables and 3) meat.

This is how I operate, too.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nasturtiums on December 28, 2009, 08:13:11 AM
Quote from: Triple Zero on December 27, 2009, 03:59:32 PM

No, any kind.

This is how I operate, too.

I toss the starches before anything else.
Hel, i often do that when i do have money.

Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Dysfunctional Cunt

Chicken is cheaper than beef.....

Just sayin.....

Frozen veggies are good because you can add what you need and save the rest for another meal, plus, store brands are usually fairly inexpensive.

Boil a whole chicken.  Shred off bone and freeze in portions.  Freeze the broth.  Eat brown rice it's better for you.  Or try couscous or maybe barley.