News:

PD.com: We're like the bugs in the Starship Troopers movie: infinite, unceasing, unstoppable....and our leader looks like a huge vagina

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: Alty on December 29, 2009, 10:01:25 PM
To me it seems like putting nice curtains on prison bars.

Point.  But you get to have a cool name like "Morgan Wolfshadow" or "Moonwolf Silverthorn", so it all evens out.
How about Wargwulf Wolfsson of Wolvenstein?
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 29, 2009, 10:06:21 PM
Quote from: Cain on December 29, 2009, 09:49:11 PM
Quote from: Z³ on December 29, 2009, 09:46:24 PM
Arent the ONA the ones who claim to use human sacrifice?

Yeah.  And commune with the "Elder Gods" a la Lovecraft.  And one of their previous leaders, "Anton Long" is allegedly David Myatt, second in command of the Neo-Nazi Combat 18, one-time bodyguards for the BNP's leadership.

Also, seriously, why do I know shit like this?  Why couldn't I just take up a normal hobby, like table-tennis or something?

Because you've been in Britain too long.  Sooner or later, you'll get yourself killed in some weird manner in some godforsaken wilderness.  It's what the English do best.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:06:48 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:59:12 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on December 29, 2009, 09:58:13 PM

Then why call it "magic", if it's a psychological trick?

I mean, besides the whole getting laid with smelly pagans thing.
Because, for some, that's what makes it work.  For others it's a different term, like mind-hack.  It's whatever allows the temporary suspension of the present programming.  

Seems overcomplicated.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Salty

Quote from: Regret on December 29, 2009, 10:21:48 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: Alty on December 29, 2009, 10:01:25 PM
To me it seems like putting nice curtains on prison bars.

Point.  But you get to have a cool name like "Morgan Wolfshadow" or "Moonwolf Silverthorn", so it all evens out.
How about Wargwulf Wolfsson of Wolvenstein?

I wanna be Silverfish Von Wolfundbear

It's my magical name, you can't have it.  :argh!:

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 10:21:34 PM
Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:03:36 PM
The things you do with it are a result of successfully influenced beliefs.  Did I leave anything out?

Yeah.  The part that explains what that means.
I thought you didn't want to talk about "that kind of magic" in this thread?  

Here's a couple of simple stupid examples of "the things you do with it are a result of successfully influenced beliefs".  
1) The sports star who cannot hit a home run unless he is wearing his "lucky socks".  
2) The Voudun victim who actually has a heart attack because some magical practitioner cursed him by shaking a juju bag in his direction.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:30:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 10:21:34 PM
Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:03:36 PM
The things you do with it are a result of successfully influenced beliefs.  Did I leave anything out?

Yeah.  The part that explains what that means.
I thought you didn't want to talk about "that kind of magic" in this thread?  

Here's a couple of simple stupid examples of "the things you do with it are a result of successfully influenced beliefs".  
1) The sports star who cannot hit a home run unless he is wearing his "lucky socks".  
2) The Voudun victim who actually has a heart attack because some magical practitioner cursed him by shaking a juju bag in his direction.

Ah.  Superstition.

singer

NotPublished

Aye .. I Was having this discussion with a friend, she claimed her necklaces was cursed. So I told her 2 things immediately

1) If you believe it is cursed, then it is cursed.
2) You need to peform the "Banishing of Ulles Lesser Leer Syndrome of Human Invocation calling on Tetramong" ritual (Note how all the capitals spell Bullshit) [hehe got that idea from TCC, its an absolute gem]

She only thought I was mocking her at that point, but then I pointed out that you believe that a piece of Jewlerry which is cursed is having an influence on your life, atleast try do something which you find is symbolic in order to remove this. Whether it is leaving it under the moon, boiling it in tea water or accepting that it is just a piece of Jewlerry and it has no effect on you what-so-ever .. again she thought I was mocking her.

I forget how it ended, but it was with alcohol.

.. That was a useless tidbit of information :p
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Cain on December 29, 2009, 09:43:24 PM
I've been reading some of the Order of the Nine Angels blogs recently, and that Satanism one rings so true.

They even refer to people who aren't in the ONA as "mundanes".  Srsly.

Never heard of these ONA folks before, but this reminds me of how nudists refer to non-nudists as "textiles."

singer

Well... calling the mind-hack superstition will work well if you want to remove a "curse".  But calling it a superstition won't work at all if you want your star hitter to actually nail that home-run.

And anyway, this is a bit of a thread-jack.  TGRR wants this to be a thread mocking people who believe they can light a candle by thinking really hard at it... and I'm all about mocking the Pentagon.

Freeky

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Freeky

What would you call the otherwise decent people who still believe in magic, and think theyre the reincarnation of morganna and merlin, or think they have a second personality that is tied to their ability to use magic? And by decent people, I mean they ahve jobs, and boyfriends/girlfriends, and even children? Do they fall under #4, or what?

The Good Reverend Roger

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 29, 2009, 11:56:43 PM
What would you call the otherwise decent people who still believe in magic, and think theyre the reincarnation of morganna and merlin, or think they have a second personality that is tied to their ability to use magic? And by decent people, I mean they ahve jobs, and boyfriends/girlfriends, and even children? Do they fall under #4, or what?

Yes.