News:

Endorsement: "I would highly suggest that you steer clear of this website at all costs and disconnect yourself from all affiliation with those involved."

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: JohNyx on January 11, 2010, 12:31:31 AM
Quote from: Immanuel Kant
Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law.

Do you agree with him?

So, what does Kant have to say about negligent homocide?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 12:36:08 AM
Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 12:31:24 AM
People have done it before.  Kant has an interesting system.  Just because I'm not convinced by it doesn't mean it isn't right, and just because I haven't done it doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm not really sure about what you mean by unworkable.  Please clarify.

If Kant had it right, then you'd just have to read him and you'd be done.

Well I'm not discounting the possibility that I could be wrong.

If it's objective, it should be testable, yes?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 11, 2010, 12:57:49 AM
Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 10, 2010, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: Faust on January 09, 2010, 11:54:43 PM
A reminder that language and expression is already one step removed from your true identity (your mind) and that adding stupid names and rituals to get an effect is adding another redundant layer.

When I want to feel something I narrate it "and so I felt a melancholy" or "and so my mind entered a state of intense focus and concentration".
If you need to call that magic or attach redundant ritualistic fluff to that, I pity you.

This is the post that set me off, BTW.

I love how it manages to simultaneously be smugly superior, AND mock every non-lily-white-academia culture's spiritual practices from the dawn of humanity.

Hey, so one of my ancestral cultures induces a mentally altered state through chanting, burning sage, wearing costume, dance, and storytelling? Faust PITIES us!

It's so nice to know.

FUCK YOU, FAUST. EAT A BONE AND DIE.
lol

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 10, 2010, 06:34:55 PM
I suspect that Faust is the only Really Real Discordian in the universe.
If you had read any more of the thread or even the next three posts, in which Incognito responded to it, you would have seen that I was looking for a knee jerk reaction. The post was facetious, and you still didn't get that even when it was exposed before you ever responded.
I'm going to go ahead and ignore the comments about the ancestral heritage, both sets of mine separated by half a continent did the same things fyi.

Oh, it's just that I'm stupid.

I get it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Faust

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 11, 2010, 01:07:05 AM
IT WAS A SOCIOLOGICAL EXPERIMENT.
not really, it was trolling, would have thought you of all people would have realized it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:00:53 AM
Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law.

Do you agree with him?

My point was to see how far Guy Incognito was willing to take the objective morals viewpoint.

Kant's system is shitty because it does not take into account intention nor consequence.

So i guess youd get off the hook for a negligent homicide.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:01:28 AM

Of course.  I've already suggested a method of testing: by checking against intuition.  But naturally, that's problematic because people can have different intuitions, or at least different interpretations of the same intuitive forces.  There are ways of doing neurological tests to see what areas of the brain light up when exposed to certain moral situations, but that's problematic too.  So I'd say testable in theory, but not easily testable in practice.

What are you thoughts, Roger?  I gather that you're are some sort of free for all moral relativist, correct?  So where do you get your morals from?

Shai Hulud

Quote from: JohNyx on January 11, 2010, 01:13:15 AM

Yeah, Kant can lead to backwards results like that.  But the major contribution Kant made was rigorous systemization of moral philosophy, not necessarily how he implemented that system.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 01:15:11 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:01:28 AM

Of course.  I've already suggested a method of testing: by checking against intuition.  But naturally, that's problematic because people can have different intuitions, or at least different interpretations of the same intuitive forces.  There are ways of doing neurological tests to see what areas of the brain light up when exposed to certain moral situations, but that's problematic too.  So I'd say testable in theory, but not easily testable in practice.

What are you thoughts, Roger?  I gather that you're are some sort of free for all moral relativist, correct?  So where do you get your morals from?

Nope.  I am a misanthrope and a Rain God.  My morals are programmed in (you get that when you hire on as a Mexica God), and mostly have to do with being an absolute shit to almost all humans.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Guy Incognito on January 11, 2010, 01:17:57 AM

Yeah, Kant can lead to backwards results like that.  But the major contribution Kant made was rigorous systemization of moral philosophy, not necessarily how he implemented that system.

So, again, it's like communism or free market bullshit.  Looks really nice on paper, or while you're sitting around at Starbucks solving the world's problems, but not so good in application.

The Good Reverend Roger

Do you agree with him?

My point was to see how far Guy Incognito was willing to take the objective morals viewpoint.

Kant's system is shitty because it does not take into account intention nor consequence.

Kant is basically just another jackoff like Plato, then.

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:21:20 AM

Do you agree with him?

Kant is basically just another jackoff like Plato, then.

Yup! The favourite two of burguoise pretentious pricks.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bu🤠ns

I'd guess that objective morality manifests after an understanding that group cooperation is more beneficial than overall contention.  Not that the two aren't mutually exclusive (that would be naive) but it at very least seems like it might might be a piece of the foundation of objective morality.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:19:50 AM
My morals ... mostly have to do with being an absolute shit to almost all humans.

Congratulations on being a roaring success!  You're an inspiration to us lesser mortals:)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 01:20:43 AM
So, again, it's like communism or free market bullshit.  Looks really nice on paper, or while you're sitting around at Starbucks solving the world's problems, but not so good in application.

It's a mistake to think that moral philosophy is limited to sitting around at Starbucks.  There's a guy named Leon Kass who's an ethicist that didn't take the time to listen to your erudite critique of how much of a waste of time moral philosophy is.  And he's also some big muckymuck on some sort of National Bioethics commission, and so he spends his time convincing the president that cloning and stem cell research were too immoral to justify their benefits.  But if we have it the way you seem to want it, the people who actually have decent ideas about morals shouldn't waste their time at Starbucks, so we'll have nobody to stand up when people like Kass fuck things up for all of us.  Is this an unfair assessment?

Epimetheus

I take the Aristotelian position that happiness is the higher good. That said, I enjoy the hell out of being an asshole.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS