News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NotPublished on December 29, 2009, 10:39:09 PM
Aye .. I Was having this discussion with a friend, she claimed her necklaces was cursed. So I told her 2 things immediately

I would have told her one thing:  "Yep.  You're fucked.  Do you have a will drawn up?"

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

NotPublished

I  told her she was fucked not long ago :D ... I'll besure to add in the Will part later :)
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 10:44:47 PM
Well... calling the mind-hack superstition will work well if you want to remove a "curse".  But calling it a superstition won't work at all if you want your star hitter to actually nail that home-run.

And anyway, this is a bit of a thread-jack.  TGRR wants this to be a thread mocking people who believe they can light a candle by thinking really hard at it... and I'm all about mocking the Pentagon.

Why?  The Pentagon creates more chaos than anything other than law enforcement.

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 01:20:41 AM
Well... calling the mind-hack superstition will work well if you want to remove a "curse".  But calling it a superstition won't work at all if you want your star hitter to actually nail that home-run.

And anyway, this is a bit of a thread-jack.  TGRR wants this to be a thread mocking people who believe they can light a candle by thinking really hard at it... and I'm all about mocking the Pentagon.

All too true.  But of course, that result is the exact opposite of their intent, so, mockery is mandatory.  Well, maybe not mandatory, but  lots of fun anyway.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 30, 2009, 02:12:56 AM

All too true.  But of course, that result is the exact opposite of their intent, so, mockery is mandatory.  Well, maybe not mandatory, but  lots of fun anyway.

Why would their intent matter?

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 02:25:14 AM

I don't know why.  But it does.  Someone who intends to do thing A and then indeed does accomplish thing A is not as mock-worthy to me as an entity who intends to do thing A but then  actually  does thing 6.
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

Quote from: Regret on December 29, 2009, 10:21:48 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 10:03:07 PM
Quote from: Alty on December 29, 2009, 10:01:25 PM
To me it seems like putting nice curtains on prison bars.

Point.  But you get to have a cool name like "Morgan Wolfshadow" or "Moonwolf Silverthorn", so it all evens out.
How about Wargwulf Wolfsson of Wolvenstein?

:mittens:

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 02:25:14 AM

Because it means they fucked up. We get to laugh at them for that, don't we?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I agree 100% that a person is not going to light a candle with their magic brain powers... unless they have magic brain powers AND a lighter.

Also, I don't think people can see the future or levitate objects.

I think It is impossible for a plain yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage. It's as impossible as a plain country bumpkin and a Prince  joining in marriage. And, honestly, four white mice will never be four white horses. That's just crazy!

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on December 30, 2009, 03:39:01 PM
This thread has transmuted into bullshit.

No, I started it as bullshit and painted it gold.

The paint came off.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Salty

It had a lot of potential. Before it died, that is. 
At least I learned about the ONA. Thanks Cain. 
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.