News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Along comes a master...

Started by Cramulus, May 30, 2019, 06:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Over 50% of the new members we get basically do the exact same thing... shout into the crowd about how we're all stupid and doing Discordia wrong. Nevermind that they rarely offer up anything, or even comment on specifics. They make a single judgment and then sweep all and everything under it.

This is true of many returning users, too... people like Elvis Martini, whose entire participation in the forum basically consists of positioning himself above it. Or zarathustrabastardson who sincerely struggles, over multiple threads, to string together a single coherent sentence explaining to us that we're all "wack ass losers", and also that shitting on people is bad...?  :|

Over time, I've experienced every possible reaction to this. I've been critical of the forum. I've been welcoming and encouraging. I've joined in making cole slaw from cabbage. I've made fun of them. I've wagged my finger at people making fun of them. I've made fun of myself.

My new stance is to just have fun. ahhhh, pwnd again! To take it at face value and agree. All that matters to me is whether or not the person is fun to chat with. I really don't care if I agree with them or if they respect My Discordia. If they want to chat about Discordia or wackadoo spirituality, come get some. If they just want to shout into the crowd to feel like they're the real discordian and everybody else is fakes, I'm going to try to gloss past my kneejerk  :boring: reaction and find my own way to enjoy the thread.

you guys have any thoughts on this phenomenon? I figured it might be a good thread topic.

hooplala

I've found it hard to enjoy much of them because, as you said, they are all so similar. Essentially what they accuse of us of. But I enjoyed your recent responses to Al from Happy Days and think it is a good method of diffusing the situation.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

I think you're wrong, and you should feel bad for it.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on May 30, 2019, 06:37:57 PM
I think you're wrong, and you should feel bad for it.

ffffffucking sssssssshit, you're right

LMNO

Honestly though, your way of dealing with it seems the most fun to me right now.

Al Qədic

For better or worse, I feel like the OP hits the nail on the head. There just isn't a lot to do with these Masters other than ignore their spaggotry and embrace having a fresh voice to hear from, or otherwise giving them shit for being such boring wankers. And that sucks, because they keep showing up.

And not all of them are worthy of a eulogy like Noble, either. If there were more "enthusiastic bastards who don't quite Get It yet", then those can at least contribute something with the cinderblocks they call brains, or could even be diverted into some fancy ARG bullhonkey to keep them busy and help them think through things more effectively. But that would require so much coordination (more than it feels like us spags have the capacity to meaningfully keep up nowadays) that it wouldn't be worth it.

The problem with Masters, like we all already understand, is that they're boring as hell. Calling out this fact can dishearten them, but they keep jumping back into the sarlacc pit out of their own accord. I concur with Cram that taking the stupid to the chin and enjoying what good we can squeeze out of these cabbages is a worthwhile approach; now if only we got some more Savoy, or Red, or Napa cabbages instead of just the plain old garden variety. :kingmeh:
There is no reason to,
Be ashamed of poetry. It,
Is natural. But you should,
Still do it in private,
And wash your hands afterward.

Cain

I hope that my eye-rolling is so intense that it will kill them, even over the internet

rong

I'm the only one that's doing it rite
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Bruno

As a now apparently long-time member of the forum, somehow, I would like to formally announce that you are all, in fact, doing it wrong.

Keep up the good work.
Formerly something else...

The Johnny

Quote from: Cramulus on May 30, 2019, 06:28:07 PM
Over 50% of the new members we get basically do the exact same thing... shout into the crowd about how we're all stupid and doing Discordia wrong. Nevermind that they rarely offer up anything, or even comment on specifics. They make a single judgment and then sweep all and everything under it.

This is true of many returning users, too... people like Elvis Martini, whose entire participation in the forum basically consists of positioning himself above it. Or zarathustrabastardson who sincerely struggles, over multiple threads, to string together a single coherent sentence explaining to us that we're all "wack ass losers", and also that shitting on people is bad...?  :|

Over time, I've experienced every possible reaction to this. I've been critical of the forum. I've been welcoming and encouraging. I've joined in making cole slaw from cabbage. I've made fun of them. I've wagged my finger at people making fun of them. I've made fun of myself.

My new stance is to just have fun. ahhhh, pwnd again! To take it at face value and agree. All that matters to me is whether or not the person is fun to chat with. I really don't care if I agree with them or if they respect My Discordia. If they want to chat about Discordia or wackadoo spirituality, come get some. If they just want to shout into the crowd to feel like they're the real discordian and everybody else is fakes, I'm going to try to gloss past my kneejerk  :boring: reaction and find my own way to enjoy the thread.

you guys have any thoughts on this phenomenon? I figured it might be a good thread topic.

Like i was ambivalent as to make my own topic after one of Roger's threads got flooded with trash banter cause it got me thinking... but i didnt make it cause i got stuck between making an argument and it being misconstrued by others, but whatever here it goes:

[A note to take into account, i for the most part love people that can be categorized as belonging to psychotic structure; worked for them, worked against their stigmatization, treated some more, dated a couple, etc. etc.]

I really think that Discordianism as a whole is like a magnet to not only people interested in philosophy or greek culture, deviants (and perverts), and people of the social sciences, but also psychotics.

The philosophical framework of Discordia is very open-ended and ambivalent that pretty much anyone can adopt it to mean whatever they want it to be. Theres no "objective" discourse as a nucleus other than maybe something like "think for yourself, schmuck", but everything else is this "serious non-sense" and the dynamic interplay of order and chaos.

So if anything defines psychosis (and autism), its the detachment of shared reality which includes communication. So theres this certain type of person that has the voices in their head tell them that they have a privileged position/link to Eris herself, and just as Zoroaster came down from the mountain to share his wisdom with the peasants, they do the same, guided by their "pineal gland".

And you might say "but Johnny, these are just lazy unimaginative trolls", and who knows? I dont have the energy to find and analyze each case that has manifested in these boards... so like, maybe? Its just that a segment of these kind of people more than angering me just make me sad to think whats going thru their mind to be so obnoxious.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Con-troll

I like to imagine the Masters as the ghosts of users who practised discordianism too succesfully and forgot the password to their old identity taking antipaychotics.
I get trauma from stuff most don't even notice.

rong

Maybe its because to "do discordia" is to do it wrong
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"