News:

PD.com: Worse than that time when I conjured a handkerchief from that deaf kid's ear.

Main Menu

Why dumbasses with lots of money should not be philanthropists...

Started by AFK, January 04, 2010, 05:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Iptuous on January 04, 2010, 06:48:58 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on January 04, 2010, 06:07:26 PM
...Just because something is NICE doesn't make it HELPFUL.
I disagree.
when in a dejected situation, a luxury can do wonders for the spirit.

following your logic into the other extreme, the shelters should serve nothing but nutritious gruel that has the lowest cost/nutrition, but they don’t.  they make some compromises and try to serve decently nutritious food, that also tastes decent.  And on holidays, they will splurge and have a fancier holiday meal.  Why do they do that?  Is that a bad move?

fixed, for pointing out retarded argument.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

eleven hundred in specifically caviar? I would put betting money on the fact that this anonymous donor also donated $$ for real food, but donated the caviar as a sort of bonus luxury for being homeless in 2009.

Sure, he could have spent the money in other ways. But as the donor, he gets to choose how he helps the homeless. He donated anonymously, so we'll never really get to ask him why he thinks the homeless would really appreciate a tablespoon of caviar. Hell, maybe he's just rubbing it in their faces. If you ever have a thousand bucks to give away, maybe you'll buy sweaters for everybody, or copies of the bible, or whatever you think will brighten their day. And people will probably think you're a prick anyway.  :p

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Elder Iptuous

I agree, there could have been a much more practical allocation of resources.
creative generosity will be the death of us.  those rich retards and their making impoverished little girls feel like princesses! :argh!:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My money's still on left over from a party... because it doesn't make a lot of sense. And $1100 in caviar isn't much caviar, nor is $1100 a hell of a lot to someone who can afford good caviar.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cramulus on January 04, 2010, 07:24:24 PM
If you ever have a thousand bucks to give away, maybe you'll buy sweaters for everybody, or copies of the bible, or whatever you think will brighten their day. And people will probably think you're a prick anyway.  :p

Ultimate troof.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 04, 2010, 07:31:46 PM
My money's still on left over from a party... because it doesn't make a lot of sense. And $1100 in caviar isn't much caviar, nor is $1100 a hell of a lot to someone who can afford good caviar.

THE BASTARD GAVE THEM LOW-BROW CAVIAR :argh!:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

I can see an added benefit:  Think of all the people who are reading about this, and considering soup kitchens and homeless shelters, who have never thought about them before.

That 1100 reached far more ears than the same amount in standard advertising or advocation.

NWC

I've never eaten caviar, but I sure as hell don't want to start now, it looks nasty. Fish eggs? Really? No thanks.

Poor homeless people.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

LMNO

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: NWC on January 04, 2010, 07:47:26 PM
I've never eaten caviar, but I sure as hell don't want to start now, it looks nasty. Fish eggs? Really? No thanks.

Poor homeless people.

It doesn't taste like what you think it will taste like...
ironically that is the best way I could describe it
I would prefer expensive cheese over it, but would eat it again
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

AFK

I suppose it probably tastes a little better than utter despair.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

NWC

I've never liked seafood, it all smells like fish to me. And just the thought of eating small black fish eggs makes me lose my appetite for all small, black, round things, like poppy seeds(which, admittedly, I don't eat very often).

If someone ever gave me $1000 worth of caviar I'd give it to a food shelter. Or sell it or something.

That being said if the homeless people like fish eggs, good for them. Nothing wrong with what the donor did IMO. Yeah the money could have gone to better use, but fuck it, it made the little girl feel like a princess.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Thurnez Isa

I wouldn't kick him for what he did
His heart was probably in the right place, but I agree that his brain probably wasn't
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Triple Zero

it's kinda salty and because it's tiny eggs they pop in your mouth, which is the big attraction to it, cause the flavour itself, while pretty good, is not mega hyper awesome like, say, bacon.

i have some mild mustard which has whole mustard seeds in it, the popping of those seeds kind of remind me of caviar [not the flavour of course]
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat