Why dumbasses with lots of money should not be philanthropists...

Started by AFK, January 04, 2010, 05:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reginald Ret

i thought caviar used to be poor man's food.
but google refuses to agree with me.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Bruno

Quote from: Regret on January 04, 2010, 08:58:39 PM

You may be thinking of lobster.
Formerly something else...

hooplala

I find it hilarious, and furthermore think people should be happy with anything they get for free.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Fuck it, next time whoever did it should just buy themselves a pair of shoes.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Reginald Ret

he spent money on something that made some people happier.
whoever it is i like him.

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on January 04, 2010, 09:02:42 PM
Quote from: Regret on January 04, 2010, 08:58:39 PM

You may be thinking of lobster.
That's what google said!
but that is not what i remember.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Cain

Oyster used to be known as poor man's beef.  Archeologists have found massive medieval rubbish tips just filled with oyster shells.

Triple Zero

Regret, don't give in--Google is known for trying to rewrite humanity's collective memory!!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

NWC

PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 04, 2010, 08:07:59 PM
it's kinda salty and because it's tiny eggs they pop in your mouth, which is the big attraction to it, cause the flavour itself, while pretty good, is not mega hyper awesome like, say, bacon.

i have some mild mustard which has whole mustard seeds in it, the popping of those seeds kind of remind me of caviar [not the flavour of course]

If it doesn't have an awesome flavor like bacon does, why would people bother? I mean, if I had to choose between a thousand dollars in bacon, or a thousand dollars in caviar, I'd take the bacon.

BACON OWNS YOUR CAVIAR.  :bacon:

Kai

No, Freeky. You don't get it.

Poor and homeless? Unable to become part of the kleptocracy?  Now YOU TOO can enjoy the exorbitance of gourmet bullshit with HOBO POPPERS! This Grade C black caviar comes from prime endangered beluga sturgeon, and it is now available due to generous donation at your local soup kitchen. Act now while supplies last; there are only several thousand sturgeons left! Dine in style, feel like a PRINCESS for a few short minutes munching on some fishy smelling eggs before heading back out into the streets hungry.

Everything is fucked.  :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Kai on January 05, 2010, 03:17:35 AM
No, Freeky. You don't get it.

Poor and homeless? Unable to become part of the kleptocracy?  Now YOU TOO can enjoy the exorbitance of gourmet bullshit with HOBO POPPERS! This Grade C black caviar comes from prime endangered beluga sturgeon, and it is now available due to generous donation at your local soup kitchen. Act now while supplies last; there are only several thousand sturgeons left! Dine in style, feel like a PRINCESS for a few short minutes munching on some fishy smelling eggs before heading back out into the streets hungry.

Everything is fucked.  :lulz:

:mittens:

I agree with RWHN it is completely fucked.  Yes the donor's heart might have been in the right place, but RWHN is right, that money could have fed 5 times the number of people well. 

Yes, people do deserve their moments of luxury, but when you consider that most who go to the soup kitchens live on the streets, the warm kitchen and hot food are their luxury.

FrankFoster

The feeling while reading all of this is rather two-sided. It must be done, from the one point of view and it is rather sad from the second.