Friendly Tech Reminder: Don't let kids suck your USB cords.

Started by Da6s, January 08, 2010, 03:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

http://gizmodo.com/5443231/toddler-sucks-on-a-usb-cable-ends-up-in-the-hospital

QuoteHere's a sad reminder that USB cables belong plugged into peripherals, not children. Toddler Trinity Anderson was playing with a USB cable plugged into a laptop and put it in her mouth, which shocked her and knocked her out.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Elder Iptuous

How did she get 3rd degree burns on her tongue?
to power line in a USB connection is only 5VDC...

The Johnny

Wow, i should carry around a laptop with a usb cable, and tase peoples mouths with it.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Jasper

Poor kid.

Hey, I bet you could make a USB powered mini taser.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Iptuous on January 08, 2010, 06:03:58 PM
How did she get 3rd degree burns on her tongue?
to power line in a USB connection is only 5VDC...
Current is more significant than voltage, but this surprised me too. Sounds like she chomped down on the cable - is it possible to stimulate the jaw muscle from inside the mouth?

cavehamster

Well... it could be possible.  Let's say that this USB cable was connected to a wall charger for a cell phone, and the amperage could exceed 1A.  Plus, the kid was sucking on the thing, so you have a fairly low resistance coupling...  It only takes a few mA to stop your heart, anyway.

Typically, though, your skin has enough resistance that anything up to about 30V or so just doesn't bother you.

Elder Iptuous

USB ports can provide up to 500mA of current (2.5 watts of power) from what i've read.
true that's enough to stop a heart, so i would avoid sticking it in your chest cavity.

Captain Utopia

When I was a kid, my Spectrum 128K+2 had a faulty power supply. Well, faulty after I chopped it in half to perform electrolysis experiments with household chemicals then put it back together with tape which kept coming loose and shorting. But anyway, I'd frequently just pop it against the tip of my tongue to see if it was delivering power.

If you do it for only a fraction of a second it isn't pleasant, although not really painful. The saliva seemed to be crucial to act as a conductor. If I had put it further into my mouth, or stimulated the tongue muscles, I can imagine a similar scenario where the cord gets stuck in the mouth for longer than a fraction of a second though.

cavehamster

I do the same thing to test 9V batteries.  Touch it to your tongue, and depending on how good it is, you get a stronger shock out of it.

Triple Zero

I do the same thing with people's ears to see if they're listening.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

cavehamster

Triple Zero

Well, depending on how good it is, you get a stronger shock out of it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky