News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Affordances, Properties and the Knowability of Reality

Started by Brotep, January 06, 2010, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2010, 03:23:41 PMAllow me to make some assumptions:

This couch-shaped thing is not a naturally occuring thing; that is, it's not a meteorite that has one horizontal surface, and two perpendicular surfaces parallel to the first, or anything.  It's a constructed amalgamation of fabric, wood, and metal springs.

If so, then it was constructed with a pattern in mind.  Because of this, I would say it's still a couch.

If it's some sort of weird naturally-occuring thing, then I would say it's "couch-like", or (more specifically), "it has some properties that are oddly couch-like".

Well yeah, when I had that thought I was also thinking of a more HHGTTG-like universe, hence the Chesterfield.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Brotep

^nice

Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2010, 07:34:03 PM
Because the "physical relation" occurs in the brain of the observer.  Not in the object.

So like, if you climb something, it's just in your head that you're climbing something, whereas if you dissolve salt in water, that's out in the world?   :?

Kai

Quote from: Brotep on January 09, 2010, 02:54:09 AM
^nice

Because the "physical relation" occurs in the brain of the observer.  Not in the object.

So like, if you climb something, it's just in your head that you're climbing something, whereas if you dissolve salt in water, that's out in the world?   :?

You really need to learn the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic. Please.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Wow.  Just when I thought the thread couldn't get any stupider...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

^nice

The mountain you climb is not the mountain you talk about climbing.
The salt you dissolve is not the salt you speak of dissolving.
Separate the map and the territory and then you will find that there is a mountain you're climbing in your head AND a mountain in reality... there's salt and water in your head... AND there's the salt and water in reality.

Related, but not the same.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Lord Quantum

Water solubility is literally a physical property of certain objects. It's essentially a lock that's opened by the key of water. Water exists in the world and so do these substances. When these real world objects come into contact with real world water, they dissolve. And this occurs regardless of human existence. Stairs on the other hand, require humans to invent them and use them. There's no such thing as "the intrinsic properties of stairs" because "stair" is a concept. If we decided to call them something else or to use them for something else, "stair" ceases to "exist". Water solubility on the other hand ain't goin' nowhere.
Quote from: Cain on March 28, 2010, 09:44:45 PM
Fuck it.  I'm going to get ordained as a Catholic priest and start robbing banks and mugging people.  I mean, apparently, you can be excused any crime if you're in with the Big V.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 28, 2008, 02:09:45 AM

Lets try it on an even simpler level:

1) There is a minimum energy/mass things can have, everything can be measured in a multiple of this minimum.

2) Objects at this size, or close to it, don't have an exact position or velocity, so they look like waves in most experiments.

3) If you try to measure the location, they act more like particles, just to fuck with you, but the velocity gets more uncertain, also just to fuck with you.

Conclusion: God hates physicists.

GASMs - PosterGASM (Calvinball edition), AbbyGASM

Pirate Pass Off Scorecard (5)