News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

I AM ON MY 8TH CUP OF YERBA MATE AND WON'T SHUT UP AT WORK

Started by Suu, January 07, 2010, 12:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

120% the caffeine-equivalent of coffee, dude! YERBA MATE IS THE TEA OF THE GODS.

The best part is no nasty crash. No shakes, no heart palpitations, just feeling AWESOME and HAPPY. I did drink way too much though. I'm going to have a hard time getting to sleep. I stopped drinking it over 2 hours ago and I'm still feeling win....Of course I did switch to a pu-erh/oolong chai, but that's to help me digest the Philly cheesesteak wrap sitting in my stomach.  :mrgreen:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Eater of Clowns

I have a mate/chamomile blend that confuses me.  It doesn't say caffeine free, but I know mate has caffeine, and chamomile always puts me to sleep.

Suu, what do you think a chamomile mate tea should do?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

Jasper

Quote from: Suu on January 07, 2010, 03:35:59 AM
120% the caffeine-equivalent of coffee, dude! YERBA MATE IS THE TEA OF THE GODS.

The best part is no nasty crash. No shakes, no heart palpitations, just feeling AWESOME and HAPPY. I did drink way too much though. I'm going to have a hard time getting to sleep. I stopped drinking it over 2 hours ago and I'm still feeling win....Of course I did switch to a pu-erh/oolong chai, but that's to help me digest the Philly cheesesteak wrap sitting in my stomach.  :mrgreen:

I heartily concur!  Perhaps I should put down coffee for a while.

Suu

Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on January 07, 2010, 03:38:03 AM
I have a mate/chamomile blend that confuses me.  It doesn't say caffeine free, but I know mate has caffeine, and chamomile always puts me to sleep.

In that case, the chamomile is just for flavor to cut the bitterness of the mate, because there is no way in hell that it will overpower it.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Felix on January 07, 2010, 03:40:46 AM
Quote from: Suu on January 07, 2010, 03:35:59 AM

I heartily concur!  Perhaps I should put down coffee for a while.

MateVana is what I typically drink when I kick coffee for a while. It's really full bodied and flavored with chocolate and nuts. It smells like Oreo cookies. It doesn't TASTE like Oreos, but it's not as bitter as drinking mate straight up. It also has rooibos in it for the antioxidants.

http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Mate-Teas/Mat-Vana-Herbal-Tea.axd

Jasper

A bit on the expensive side for me, unfortunately.  I only have yerba mate right now because the mexican tienda back in Cali had a huge Kg bag of the stuff for dirt cheap.  It's tasty though; the bitterness I like.

Telarus

Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on January 07, 2010, 03:38:03 AM

Chamomile gets used as a topical skin cream and gastro-intestinal aid, primary action is anti-inflammatory in skin and mucus membranes (which means it's interfacing with you endocannabinoid system as that's your primary inflammation response system). Large doses of chamomile should feel a similar body relaxation to eating a pot brownie without the cerebral effects (check for allergy by holding the teabag against your skin for 5 min, avoid chamomile if you have a ragweed allergy). Probably blunt the nausea/shakes that might come from the high caffeine mate, complimentary effect, not just awake/sleep competitive.... http://www.drugs.com/npp/chamomile.html
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Suu

Quote from: Felix on January 07, 2010, 03:56:15 AM
A bit on the expensive side for me, unfortunately.  I only have yerba mate right now because the mexican tienda back in Cali had a huge Kg bag of the stuff for dirt cheap.  It's tasty though; the bitterness I like.

Teavana can be a little ridiculous with their prices, but Tealuxe pales in comparison by selection. I'm just so damn happy that I don't have to go to Boston to buy their tea now since they opened one in Providence. (Which I think may have been the result of me sending a feedback suggestion.) I also have their Perfect Tea Maker (which earned the name of Crazy Tea Machine when I worked at Key), Perfect Tea Cup (because it fits right under the tea maker, lol) and a selection of their tins. I also have a cast-iron tetsubin from them, and a copper kettle which was left with Herbert is also from there. (I had to leave him SOMETHING since I took the cast-iron one.) I am a Teavana whore.  :oops:

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Suu on January 07, 2010, 02:41:40 AM
Quote from: Cainad on January 07, 2010, 12:53:11 AM
I just ate my body weight in kidney beans, Suu. What will happen to me?

You will probably be farting your weight in gas.

IT IS EXACTLY AS YOUR PROPHECY FORETOLD

Brotep

Telarus

Quote from: Cainad on January 07, 2010, 06:00:22 AM
Quote from: Suu on January 07, 2010, 02:41:40 AM
Quote from: Cainad on January 07, 2010, 12:53:11 AM
I just ate my body weight in kidney beans, Suu. What will happen to me?

You will probably be farting your weight in gas.

IT IS EXACTLY AS YOUR PROPHECY FORETOLD

:awesome: :mittens:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

E.O.T.

EITHER

SUU, I saw a bottle of yerba mate stout at the store today. What the hell would that be like?

OR

ON MY 8TH SHUT UP MATE,
          I AM AT WORK AND WON'T CUP

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Darth Cupcake

I am gonna have to get some of this yerba mate stuff, cause the coffee we have at work is CRAP but I can't survive through the day without caffeine.

But my mum got me a coffee bean grinder for xmas, so I am still making my own coffee at home because DAMN, that's so nice. Grindin' mah beans, brewing mah caffeines... Mmm.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.