News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Australian guy posts commercial on youtube, trolls America

Started by President Television, January 07, 2010, 02:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Thurnez Isa

Can already tell you what's going to happen...
American's will overreact (to a degree I think it's alright since it IS an American company)
Australians will then overreact cause they think they are being called racist
and everyone but KFC is going to look a total idiot
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Rumckle

:lulz:

Reminds of something my friend said the other day:

"The reason Canadians and Australians get along so well is that they are both racist."
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

hooplala

People are actually offended by this commercial?  They even say it's a Cricket survival guide... he is clearly wearing different teams colours.  So the awkwardness is that he is sitting in the wrong area of the arena, not that's he's surrounded by black people.

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

hooplala

Quote from: Rumckle on January 07, 2010, 04:07:31 PM
:lulz:

Reminds of something my friend said the other day:

"The reason Canadians and Australians get along so well is that they are both racist."

Wha?  Based on WHAT?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Rumckle

Something about the way we both treat our indigenous peoples.

He was from Alberta, btw.

hooplala

Quote from: Rumckle on January 07, 2010, 04:16:06 PM
Something about the way we both treat our indigenous peoples.

He was from Alberta, btw.

Oh, well that explains it.  Based on his experience that's probably true.  You should tell him Alberta is nice and all, with the miles and miles of fields and prairies, but he should try coming to Canada some time.  

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2010, 04:12:17 PM
People are actually offended by this commercial?  They even say it's a Cricket survival guide... he is clearly wearing different teams colours.  So the awkwardness is that he is sitting in the wrong area of the arena, not that's he's surrounded by black people.

The one point that I will give those that overreact a little leeway is that it is an American company and KFC did say they tried to prevent it from being seen by Americans since it can be seen as playing off American stereotypes. It makes me wonder if there would have been a better way to make the commercial,
and more to the point what company can be so incredibly stupid to think it's not going to be leeked on the internet?
But having said that it's a weak argument in my opinion and everyone should take a chill pill. I stand by my original statement. Everyone will overreact and everyone will end up looking like idiots in the end
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

hooplala

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 07, 2010, 04:19:07 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 07, 2010, 04:12:17 PM
People are actually offended by this commercial?  They even say it's a Cricket survival guide... he is clearly wearing different teams colours.  So the awkwardness is that he is sitting in the wrong area of the arena, not that's he's surrounded by black people.

The one point that I will give those that overreact a little leeway is that it is an American company and KFC did say they tried to prevent it from being seen by Americans since it can be seen as playing off American stereotypes. It makes me wonder if there would have been a better way to make the commercial,
and more to the point what company can be so incredibly stupid to think it's not going to be leeked on the internet?
But having said that it's a weaker and everyone should take a chill pill. I stand by my original statement. Everyone will overreact and everyone will end up looking like idiots in the end

It probably would be misinterpreted since a lot of Americans (most?) don't have any knowledge of cricket or soccer, and how the crowds are.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Casual racism towards Aborigines was fairly common in Australia, even in the 80s (it might be better now...though I doubt it).  But then in Australia, casual racism towards everyone was fairly common, whether they be British, American, South-East Asian, Arab or from other parts of Australia.

Rumckle

I was about to add Kiwis, but then I noticed you put "other parts of Australia"

Cain

Kiwis aren't really people either, so they don't count.

Iason Ouabache

Reminds me of the kerfuffle a couple months ago when someone thought it would be a good idea to do a black face performance on Australian television. I understand the cultural differences can cause confusion, but c'mon! Do a little research every now and then.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

President Television

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 07, 2010, 04:03:51 PM
Can already tell you what's going to happen...
American's will overreact (to a degree I think it's alright since it IS an American company)
Australians will then overreact cause they think they are being called racist
and everyone but KFC is going to look a total idiot

Already happened, according to that news site I linked in the OP.
Except for the part about Australia overreacting. I think. I got a headache before I could dig too deeply into the youtube comments.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on January 07, 2010, 04:25:50 PM
Casual racism towards Aborigines was fairly common in Australia, even in the 80s (it might be better now...though I doubt it).  But then in Australia, casual racism towards everyone was fairly common, whether they be British, American, South-East Asian, Arab or from other parts of Australia.

when I took the test to apply for an australian immigration visa, they were pretty obvious about preferring people who spoke english as a first language and came from predominantly white, english-speaking countries.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"