News:

There are no innocents, only the squeamish and the aroused.

Main Menu

Australian guy posts commercial on youtube, trolls America

Started by President Television, January 07, 2010, 02:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

But we were taught that Australia got rid of the White Australia Policy.  :roll:
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cain

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 07, 2010, 05:12:56 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 07, 2010, 04:03:51 PM
Can already tell you what's going to happen...
American's will overreact (to a degree I think it's alright since it IS an American company)
Australians will then overreact cause they think they are being called racist
and everyone but KFC is going to look a total idiot

Already happened, according to that news site I linked in the OP.
Except for the part about Australia overreacting. I think. I got a headache before I could dig too deeply into the youtube comments.

I have read it already
I thought of posting a bunch of incredibly stupid ones for the lulz and decided against wasting my time with it.
but In my opinion this guy nailed it

QuoteUnfortunately it is true that there is a serious problem with racism in Australia, however this ad has nothing to do with race relations. It is about fitting in and making friends with the fans of an opposition cricket team, in this case the West Indies. It is unfortunate that so many people have interpreted this ad as racist, simply because it featured people, who on physical level resemble African-Americans and fried chicken. So please try to understand the cultural context before criticizing.

See youtube thats how it's done. That statement is civil. It actually makes sense, but because it's youtube it was completely ignored.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

President Television

The funny thing is, though, every fan of the opposing team just happens to be black. I'd like to think that it's a coincidence, but I just don't think there's any way it could have happened by accident. Surely at least one more white person must have auditioned to be in the commercial.
I do think the commercial has racist undertones, but I also think this whole fiasco is hilarious, so yeah...
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

AFK

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on January 08, 2010, 09:17:11 AM
That's not a racist commercial, this is a racist commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vAfXNzXueE

Heh, the guy didn't have to open his mouth and I already knew I wouldn't ever want to do any business with him.  He just has that look.  Kind of like Bob from Bob's Discount Furniture.   
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 07, 2010, 05:42:42 PM
The funny thing is, though, every fan of the opposing team just happens to be black. I'd like to think that it's a coincidence, but I just don't think there's any way it could have happened by accident. Surely at least one more white person must have auditioned to be in the commercial.
I do think the commercial has racist undertones, but I also think this whole fiasco is hilarious, so yeah...

It's apparently the west Indies cricket team in question. 
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Wasn't this commercial also aired as a tie-in to the 20/20 World Cup, which took place in....the West Indies?

President Television

Ok then, that makes a bit more sense.
But why did that white guy have to be white? It still looks bad. Though I suppose this was probably part of a series that all starred the same guy. Never mind then.
Regardless of whether it was intentional or not, it was amusing.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.