News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

"that's interesting"

Started by hooplala, January 07, 2010, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Have you ever, EVER heard someone say "that's interesting", and didn't suspect they were lying through their fucking teeth?  Would someone who was actually interested in something say that?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Payne

I do. I place emphasis on each syllable too, though I usually skip the "That's" part.

The Good Reverend Roger

Yes.  Usually seconds before something absolutely crucial failed catastrophically.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

I have said it.  I usually follow it up with something though, to be fair.  I only say it to show I'm actually listening and thinking, while figuring out the follow-up.

Vaudeville Vigilante

I've said it and meant it.  As Cain said, I usually follow up afterward with more.

As a side note, thatsinteresting.com is not very interesting at all.

hooplala

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

You know, I've never believed any of the shitsacks that ever said "that's interesting".

Especially the smarmy-ass little pricks from collection agencies that look you up on facebook and go "oh, I see you're a (insert occupation that's way more interesting than a claims stooge here), that must be really interesting!"

Sorry, mongoloid.

That's the kind of stuff that you thought was boring in high school when you were doing all kinds of drugs, drinking, or playing sports.

Now you're a claims stooge.

or a used car salesman.

or a real estate agent.

YOU STILL DON'T FIND IT INTERESTING AND DON'T FUCKING LIE TO ME IN AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE ME THINK WE'RE FRIENDS FROM WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY BACK!

Not gonna happen, not ever.

Now go back to your cubicle land and cry yourself back to la-la-land.

wow...looking back at it, that last line was so rage filled it bordered on incoherent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: General Stuart on January 07, 2010, 08:14:22 PM
wow...looking back at it, that last line was so rage filled it bordered on incoherent.

Is that a problem?  Sounds like me in the afternoon meeting.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

This thread makes me realize that I'm guilty of using the phrase "that's interesting" both genuinely and as an alternative to nodding and going, "uh-huh." It must confuse the hell out of anyone trying to talk to me.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cainad on January 07, 2010, 08:19:17 PM
This thread makes me realize that I'm guilty of using the phrase "that's interesting" both genuinely and as an alternative to nodding and going, "uh-huh." It must confuse the hell out of anyone trying to talk to me.

Heh, likewise.

But I like to think that I say it honestly often enough that I can still use it as a scapegoat when I just wanna say "uh-huh."

Also, I use "oh wow" and "that's bizarre" a lot in place of "uh-huh."
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Darth Cupcake on January 07, 2010, 08:23:39 PM

Heh, likewise.

But I like to think that I say it honestly often enough that I can still use it as a scapegoat when I just wanna say "uh-huh."

That's interesting.

:lulz:

right, right, yeah....that's great....right, yeah.....

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 07, 2010, 08:24:43 PM
Quote from: Darth Cupcake on January 07, 2010, 08:23:39 PM

Heh, likewise.

That's interesting.

:lulz:

OH, WOW :p
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.