News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

"that's interesting"

Started by hooplala, January 07, 2010, 07:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Prediction:  12 pages of "that's interesting", "huh", "bizarre", etc.

TGRR,
Finds the prospect fascinating.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

I use the word when I'm not sure if what I just heard was a good thing or a bad thing.

"I accidentally the whole thing."

"Interesting... the whole thing?"

hooplala

If I say it, I say it like Arte Johnson, and usually mean it, despite the implied mockery.

If I think the person is talking jive, I instead answer with "Mm." Which doesn't really hide my contempt much.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Storebrand

If I'm actually interested I'll try to say, "That's interesting" but it comes out, "That's intere...." 

Words don't necessarily make it all the way out of my mouth once I start really thinking about something.  There's also a good possibility I'll walk away to research it while you're still talking.

themenniss

'fair point' and 'fair enough' are favorites of mine.
'I talk aloud to all those who listen. when nobody does, i talk aloud to myself.'

from now on, i am purposely going to tell people when i find what they are saying to be dull, boring and unimportant. Sure, they'll need some emotional recovery time, but everything scabs over in the end.

Freeky

I say "that's interesting" and mean it. Sometimes to switch it up I say "Neat." Which I realize is really lame and sounds like I neither care nor want to listen to any more drivel, but that isn't the case. I'm just not good at conversation. :sad:

maybe if we all just start glazing over and letting our eyes diverge and minds wander, we'll eventually make the point that we're just not interested and they'll all just go away.

-Kel-

Quote from: Cainad on January 07, 2010, 08:19:17 PM
This thread makes me realize that I'm guilty of using the phrase "that's interesting" both genuinely and as an alternative to nodding and going, "uh-huh." It must confuse the hell out of anyone trying to talk to me.

dito...also at fault for saying "ok" way to much to show that im listening.

Brotep

:lulz:
English is a tonal language, at least when it comes to saying "interesting".

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 07, 2010, 08:33:27 PM
Prediction:  12 pages of "that's interesting", "huh", "bizarre", etc.

TGRR,
Finds the prospect fascinating.

OSHI-!

And the plot thickens.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on January 07, 2010, 08:34:58 PM
I use the word when I'm not sure if what I just heard was a good thing or a bad thing.

"I accidentally the whole thing."

"Interesting... the whole thing?"

I do too! I never really thought about it before, but "Wow, interesting!" is my usual reaction to something that sounds like it might be either great or terrible, because somehow I missed context that would tell me which.

If I'm not interested, my usual reaction is "Really? Huh."
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I utter the 'interesting' phrase, or something like it, to buy myself time, ironically, to think of something interesting to say back.

Also, cool story bro.

Triple Zero

I lately more often catch myself doing the opposite when somebody complains about something I don't really care about or they go on about it too long or I didn't really fully listen, I go "oh yeah, I can feel how that must be bad* for you" [*insert appropriate word--I have a Dutch one that nearly always fits, but can't think of an English that carries the exact same meaning].
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.