News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Breaking news!! France doens't like burqas

Started by -Kel-, January 07, 2010, 10:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

From the comments:

QuoteThen there's the tangle over wearing religious symbols in Britain: Christians can't wear crosses but Muslims and others can wear whatever they like.

What?  Cain, that's not accurate, is it?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Lastly, from the article:

QuoteThe amount could be doubled for Muslim men who force female members of their family to cover their faces.

I can agree with that much.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

-Kel-

All i know is that im ready for fucking burning man if i ever go....

CAMO!!!

USA! USA! USA!

PURPLE!!!

and last but not least....

I AM FROM DENMARK!!!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 08, 2010, 06:18:44 PM
I don't like Burqas, either.

But I don't want to outlaw them.

The only argument that I found some what credible so far is that it provides cover for women who are forced to wear it. Sort of like you can't wear a ski mask into a bank. Not because everyone wearing a ski mask would rob the bank but the ones that don't rob the bank provide cover to those who do. So they ban the right to wear ski masks in a bank
Personally Im not fully persuaded by the argument, especially if it's this argument alone, but I could see some governments finding it a legitimate concern.
To be honest Im on the fence with this issue, but I think the safer bet is always not limiting any freedoms.
Kind of like the abortion issue. Im generally anti-abortion in most cases, but socially and realistically I think allowing more choice is safer then limiting it.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

LMNO

Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 06:11:18 PM
Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2010, 02:04:08 PM
Sorry to intrude, but I'm sure I read that -kel- was going to show off her boobs in the name of liberty and freedom.
Already have, and will again. There are pics on the interwebs as well.  :lulz:

Yes, I do recall... I RECALL THE HORRIBLE DESECRATION OF THE HOLEY BOOBZORZ DEFILED WITH... DARE I SAY IT... FABRIC COVERINGS.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

-Kel-

Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2010, 06:34:45 PM
Sorry to intrude, but I'm sure I read that -kel- was going to show off her boobs in the name of liberty and freedom.

Yes, I do recall... I RECALL THE HORRIBLE DESECRATION OF THE HOLEY BOOBZORZ DEFILED WITH... DARE I SAY IT... FABRIC COVERINGS.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

Not on here, sheesh. not going to post boobie pics on a forum.

LMNO

Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 06:36:07 PM

Yes, I do recall... I RECALL THE HORRIBLE DESECRATION OF THE HOLEY BOOBZORZ DEFILED WITH... DARE I SAY IT... FABRIC COVERINGS.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

What is wonderful about that response was the context was unacceptable, not the event.

-Kel-

Quote from: LMNO on January 08, 2010, 06:40:11 PM
Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 06:36:07 PM

Yes, I do recall... I RECALL THE HORRIBLE DESECRATION OF THE HOLEY BOOBZORZ DEFILED WITH... DARE I SAY IT... FABRIC COVERINGS.  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

What is wonderful about that response was the context was unacceptable, not the event.

:lulz:

Freeky

Quote from: Suu on January 08, 2010, 06:04:56 AM

In fact, I think it's going to be required now within the SPoK that all Discordians wear Kansas City Royals baseball caps.

I don't ahve a problem with this, as I used to go watch the Royals. I used to live there.

I WANNA GO BACK! ITS GREEN THERE!

[/spaz]

Suu

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 08, 2010, 06:59:49 PM

In fact, I think it's going to be required now within the SPoK that all Discordians wear Kansas City Royals baseball caps.

I don't ahve a problem with this, as I used to go watch the Royals. I used to live there.

[/spaz]

Ah yes, but you see, the joke is that there is no living soul in the far reaches of New England who would dare wear that hat. Not even Discordians.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Freeky

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Suu on January 08, 2010, 07:16:02 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 08, 2010, 06:59:49 PM

[/spaz]

Ah yes, but you see, the joke is that there is no living soul in the far reaches of New England who would dare wear that hat. Not even Discordians.

I would.

Kill me, you bastards.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 08, 2010, 06:22:05 PM
From the comments:

QuoteThen there's the tangle over wearing religious symbols in Britain: Christians can't wear crosses but Muslims and others can wear whatever they like.

What?  Cain, that's not accurate, is it?

Its only accurate if you go to a state school, and its not "other religious can wear what they like" but other religions can wear symbols or clothing that they are required to. 

Lets put it this way: if you wear a cross under your clothing, thats fine.  If, however, you wear a "purity ring" and then, when it is confiscated for being openly worn jewellery (this seems to be a rule in every school I ever went to) and you then whine to the European Court of Human Rights about religious oppression, then you're going to get laughed at.

Personally, I'm just disturbed by school age kids even having religions.  There is no way they can have thought through the options in any reasonable way at that age.  That is one area where I find myself agreeing with Dawkins et al.

rygD

Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 06:25:18 PM
All i know is that im ready for fucking burning man if i ever go....

CAMO!!!

USA! USA! USA!

PURPLE!!!

and last but not least....

I AM FROM DENMARK!!!

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

I am sorry, but the Denmark one just makes me laugh...

I should get a pink one or something...damn, I need to go shopping.  If anyone wants one lemme know and I will check prices and see what they are offering.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Cain