News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Breaking news!! France doens't like burqas

Started by -Kel-, January 07, 2010, 10:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I find it funny when people say the veil is a debasement of women. No, the veil isn't a debasement of women, a mandatory wearing of the veil is a debasement of women. I've heard stories by Muslim women who wear a veil, that it makes them more confident and creates a separate womens space.  If thats the case, all power to them.

It's also funny that they're fining people (but we know they mean women) who wear a veil because they want to wear one, since France is apparently not some sort of theocracy. Apparently.

Quote from: Brotep on January 08, 2010, 01:00:59 AM

You guys are right: this is some bullshit legislation.  However, I'm not sure we're reading the subtext properly.  From what I know of France, it's not a "Christians vs. Muslims" thing so much as a "secular nationalists vs. anyone who displays a nonsecular identity" thing.  Atheists vs. unassimilated theists.  France doesn't want to get rid of the Muslims; France just wants them to act like everybody else.

It's still bullshit, but slightly less heinous bullshit, or at least different bullshit.

Nahh, it's the same bullshit going on in the rest of Europe. Prolly.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

-Kel-

Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 12:16:31 AM

Do you think it would be ok for a private company as Wal Mart to declare "we do not hire blacks or women"?

Luckily enough there are Federal Anti Discrimination Laws in place so companies cannot do that, at least where I live.

In my home of SL,UT there was actually a battle going on against the LDS Church and the ACLU because the church bought a city block and made it private property. They turned it into a park, awwwww...but you cannot swear clothing that is lude and have naughty words on it, a gay couple got harassed by security even because they kissed http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=299&sid=8102922. But the ACLU lost because ITS PRIVATE PROPERTY. The owner has that right, just like people in their homes have a right to say "GTFO" if they don't like what you're doing. It's a two way street. Like you're remark about the Ku Kluxx Klan wearing their hoods, they have a right to on their own private property and on public lands, hell police even have to protect them when they march because IT IS A RIGHT. I would much rather be able to do what the fuck i want, then have that freedom taking from me all cause i don't want some asshole racist to have their freedoms taken away from them.

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

The Johnny

Quote from: Brotep on January 08, 2010, 01:00:59 AM
Quote from: -Kel- on January 07, 2010, 11:20:17 PM
a woman should have the right to wear one if she wants, and the right to flash her boobies if she wants. im just saying......

And I'm just saying, hellz yeah.   :fap:

Quote from: JohNyx on January 07, 2010, 11:07:12 PM

I recall this started out in schools some years ago, i didnt think they wouldnt accept it even on the streets.

Its very convenient, because its a restriction that doesnt affect all the christian assholes.

You guys are right: this is some bullshit legislation.  However, I'm not sure we're reading the subtext properly.  From what I know of France, it's not a "Christians vs. Muslims" thing so much as a "secular nationalists vs. anyone who displays a nonsecular identity" thing.  Atheists vs. unassimilated theists.  France doesn't want to get rid of the Muslims; France just wants them to act like everybody else.

It's still bullshit, but slightly less heinous bullshit, or at least different bullshit.

Just because their discourse is about "women's rights" and "secularism" doesnt mean its not christian zealots behind it.

For every shitty action theres a possible "reasonable" justification.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 01:07:09 AMLuckily enough there are Federal Anti Discrimination Laws in place so companies cannot do that, at least where I live.

In my home of SL,UT there was actually a battle going on against the LDS Church and the ACLU because the church bought a city block and made it private property. They turned it into a park, awwwww...but you cannot swear clothing that is lude and have naughty words on it, a gay couple got harassed by security even because they kissed http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=299&sid=8102922. But the ACLU lost because ITS PRIVATE PROPERTY. The owner has that right, just like people in their homes have a right to say "GTFO" if they don't like what you're doing. It's a two way street. Like you're remark about the Ku Kluxx Klan wearing their hoods, they have a right to on their own private property and on public lands, hell police even have to protect them when they march because IT IS A RIGHT. I would much rather be able to do what the fuck i want, then have that freedom taking from me all cause i don't want some asshole racist to have their freedoms taken away from them.

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

Did I just catch that you can't wear lude clothing in SLUT?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Johnny

Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 01:07:09 AM

Do you think it would be ok for a private company as Wal Mart to declare "we do not hire blacks or women"?

Luckily enough there are Federal Anti Discrimination Laws in place so companies cannot do that, at least where I live.

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

Parks, homes, members clubs/organizations fine.

Jobs or government,  i think not fine.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

-Kel-

Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on January 08, 2010, 01:11:24 AM
Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 01:07:09 AMLuckily enough there are Federal Anti Discrimination Laws in place so companies cannot do that, at least where I live.

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

Did I just catch that you can't wear lude clothing in SLUT? Oh no no no. We're fine with it, you should see gay pride day. Sl,ut is all about lude behavior, even the momo's are. It's just their organization that doesn't like it.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: -Kel- on January 08, 2010, 01:17:14 AM
Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on January 08, 2010, 01:11:24 AM

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

Did I just catch that you can't wear lude clothing in SLUT?
Oh no no no. We're fine with it, you should see gay pride day. Sl,ut is all about lude behavior, even the momo's are. It's just their organization that doesn't like it.

I got that, I was just, well, I mean it's called SLUT.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

rygD

Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 01:13:19 AM

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

I know of no job that will allow you to go into your workplace and wear whatever you want.  Working from home perhaps, but all employers will likely have some policy.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

-Kel-

Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on January 08, 2010, 01:19:07 AM

I got that, I was just, well, I mean it's called SLUT.
[/quote]

Got to love it. We have t-shirts.  :lulz:

The Johnny

Quote from: rygD on January 08, 2010, 01:22:02 AM
Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 01:13:19 AM

TWO WAY STREET!

ugh *steps off soapbox*

I know of no job that will allow you to go into your workplace and wear whatever you want.  Working from home perhaps, but all employers will likely have some policy.

Mmm, on that sense you do have a point, bureaucratic jobs have an all alienating dress code that doesnt distinguish culture, religion or personal taste.

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Still, not allowing them to wear what they want on the street is completely off-the-wall, over-the-top.

-B.F. Skinner

Brotep

Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 01:08:55 AM
Just because their discourse is about "women's rights" and "secularism" doesnt mean its not christian zealots behind it.

Christian ain't the only brand zealotry comes in.

The Johnny

Quote from: Brotep on January 08, 2010, 01:27:56 AM
Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 01:08:55 AM

Christian ain't the only brand zealotry comes in.

Of course not, but in this context it seems to be so this kind.

-B.F. Skinner

rygD

Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 01:26:21 AM

Still, not allowing them to wear what they want on the street is completely off-the-wall, over-the-top.

What if I decided to take a stroll in front of your house wearing a big bulky jacket covering something up,  with, what is that...WIRES!?  What is this thing in my hand here with the switch on it for...

I am not comparing the wearing of a burqa with suicide bombers, but there are legitimate reasons for not allowing people to wear certain things in certain places, and if you test me, I will always find a way to be over the top in my clothes.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

-Kel-

Quote from: rygD on January 08, 2010, 01:41:50 AM
Quote from: JohNyx on January 08, 2010, 01:26:21 AM

What if I decided to take a stroll in front of your house wearing a big bulky jacket covering something up,  with, what is that...WIRES!?  What is this thing in my hand here with the switch on it for...
I will always find a way to be over the top in my clothes.

Oh, but you'd look so much better in this....