News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

Douglas Adams (hgttg excerpt) on politics

Started by Ascoe, January 09, 2010, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: JohNyx on January 09, 2010, 09:01:04 PM
Quote from: Ascoe on January 09, 2010, 08:45:08 PM
It's not for critique man, it's not my work.

Then what is it for? To be stared at blankly without responding?

it's an excerpt from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, which is an important weapon in the arsenal of every pinealist when they want you to know how EDGY and OUTRAGEOUS they are.

it also really has no business in the Aneristic Delusions subforum, but noob doesn't seem to care about the social conventions of the forum so this is what we get.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

and since I like JohNyx's newest thing, I'll take a stab at it myself:

but this is a discordian forum! you're not supposed to HAVE things like "rules" and "social conventions" here, because it will totally limit our ability to be, like, really REAL discordians, man.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Johnny

Hippopothamus riding a pogo stick with their ass batman!!! WHAT COULD EVER BE MORE POLITICAL THAN UNVEILING THE LIZARD CONSPIRACY THAT THREATENS US ALL!!!! What a fucking noob you are for not reading THE GUIDE and konwing it IS THE TRUTH THAT GODESS ERIS SENT ME TO ENLIGHTEN YOU ALL you STUPID AND IGNORANT "discordians".
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 09, 2010, 09:15:18 PM
I'm guessing he's trying to point out how clever a metaphor it is.  With Lizards standing in for the ruling class.

Paints Adams as a bit of a communist.

If he wasnt arrogant about it and actually explained his reasons, which i have queried for several times now.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Ascoe

East Coast Hustle

for one, there is no ignore list on this forum.

we are forced to listen to your drivel just as you are forced to listen to us try to explain to you why your drivel is just that, until such time as you decide we're not REALLY REAL discordians and proceed directly to the MySpace Discordian groups without passing Go or collecting $200.

East Coast Hustle

seriously though, if you want to be a member of this community and make positive and well-regarded contributions, it would behoove you to do some lurking and some research until you gain a little bit of an understanding of how this place works.

that's actual helpful advice, as opposed to my usual dickishness, so please don't let it be wasted.

The Johnny

-B.F. Skinner

Ascoe

The Johnny

ECH is actually of the most tolerant and newcomer-friendly people, and seeing how hes reacting to you, you can see how things are gonna go for you if you dont change your attitude.

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Ascoe on January 09, 2010, 04:48:47 PM
Quote from: so long and thanks for all the fishAn extraterrestrial robot and spaceship has just landed on earth. The robot steps out of the spaceship...]

"I come in peace," it said, adding after a long moment of further grinding, "take me to your Lizard."

Ford Prefect, of course, had an explanation for this, as he sat with Arthur and watched the nonstop frenetic news reports on television, none of which had anything to say other than to record that the thing had done this amount of damage which was valued at that amount of billions of pounds and had killed this totally other number of people, and then say it again, because the robot was doing nothing more than standing there, swaying very slightly, and emitting short incomprehensible error messages.

"It comes from a very ancient democracy, you see..."

"You mean, it comes from a world of lizards?"

"No," said Ford, who by this time was a little more rational and coherent than he had been, having finally had the coffee forced down him, "nothing so simple. Nothing anything like to straightforward. On its world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."

"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."

"I did," said ford. "It is."

"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"

"It honestly doesn't occur to them," said Ford. "They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates to the government they want."

"You mean they actually vote for the lizards?"

"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."

"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"

"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard," said Ford, "the wrong lizard might get in. Got any gin?"

"What?"

"I said," said Ford, with an increasing air of urgency creeping into his voice, "have you got any gin?"

"I'll look. Tell me about the lizards."

Ford shrugged again.

"Some people say that the lizards are the best thing that ever happened to them," he said. "They're completely wrong of course, completely and utterly wrong, but someone's got to say it."

@op: attempt at serious response:

that's not a democracy, that's a representatocracy.
democracy is voting on issues. this is voting on people.

@ everyone else:
it has a point, not a good one, but still a point.
so it is not pineal yet.
let him have his 50 posts before killing him.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Jasper

Quote from: Ascoe on January 09, 2010, 08:45:08 PM
It's not for critique man, it's not my work.

I think you've mistaken us for traditional Discordians.  We embrace the whole of Discord, not just the happy, nice, and safe parts.  We criticize the hell out of each other, and it has given us a vigorous dialectic.  Whatever you post, whether you wrote it or not, is subject to a critical review.

Con Safos.

Ascoe

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2010, 10:22:36 PM
Quote from: Ascoe on January 09, 2010, 10:21:11 PM
I'll stick to drivel

Worst mistake since you went to Supercuts, son
are you implying you don't appreciate drivel?

johnny, i don't care how things 'are gonna go.' I'll just post, and the admins can delete my posts and ban me as they see fit.

East Coast Hustle

we don't delete your posts, ever.

and we don't ban you unless you break one of the very few rules that exist here (don't do anything that could get myself or Faust in legal trouble, don't out our trolls on other boards).

we prefer to have you hang around so we can mock you incessantly.

and you will find that very few of us appreciate drivel, and those that do generally keep it confined to the pinealist drivel subforum.