News:

Yeah, fuckface! Get ready to be beaten down. Grrr! Internet ain't so safe now is it motherfucker! Shit just got real! Bam!

Main Menu

Douglas Adams (hgttg excerpt) on politics

Started by Ascoe, January 09, 2010, 04:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

Thats about 4.6 mbs of images just to make a lame attempt at sarcasm.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Ascoe

Quote from: Ascoe on January 11, 2010, 06:01:19 AM(please don't do that again. thanks. - ECH)

Nast

Resorted to image spamming so soon? Poor form, chap, poor form.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Ascoe

sorry nast, I have an acute allergy to people who pointlessly troll a completely harmless thread.

Nast

Then you may in fact be allergic to this board.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Cain on January 10, 2010, 02:46:55 AM
Thats only really a critique of the first past the post system of voting, which does tend to end up in a two party system (there is actually a law describing this, only I cannot remember the name).  Under most forms of proportional representation, such as Germany and Israel, such votes are not wasted at all, since they count to the overall party tally and how many seats they can claim.

Adams was British.  So I don't think he was just critiquing two party politics.

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Iason Ouabache

You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ascoe on January 11, 2010, 04:37:44 AM
anyway, i vote democrat partially because i'm against killing, war, and making money off of killing and war.

worst mistake since you wore plaid to the club, son.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

guest7654

Douglas Adams was not the dullest crayon in the box.  It seems that some here do not adequately comprehend the metaphor.  

East Coast Hustle

for me, it has nothing to do with the validity of the metaphor (it's quite flawed, BTW), and everything to do with not liking Assco.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Ascoe

Quotefor me, it has nothing to do with the validity of the metaphor (it's quite flawed, BTW), and everything to do with not liking Assco.
wah? i've barely posted here at all.

if you have a severe problem with me, take it up in pm or irc please.

Cain

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 11, 2010, 07:05:36 AM
Thats only really a critique of the first past the post system of voting, which does tend to end up in a two party system (there is actually a law describing this, only I cannot remember the name).  Under most forms of proportional representation, such as Germany and Israel, such votes are not wasted at all, since they count to the overall party tally and how many seats they can claim.

Adams was British.  So I don't think he was just critiquing two party politics.

What does being British have to do with anything?  I'm British.  We have a two party system in Britain.  I don't see whatever point you seem to think you are making.  Especially since I was replying to the point The Omnipotent Grinner made, and not the OP.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on January 11, 2010, 09:21:54 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 11, 2010, 07:05:36 AM
Thats only really a critique of the first past the post system of voting, which does tend to end up in a two party system (there is actually a law describing this, only I cannot remember the name).  Under most forms of proportional representation, such as Germany and Israel, such votes are not wasted at all, since they count to the overall party tally and how many seats they can claim.

Adams was British.  So I don't think he was just critiquing two party politics.

What does being British have to do with anything?  I'm British.  We have a two party system in Britain.  I don't see whatever point you seem to think you are making.  Especially since I was replying to the point Simpsons fanboy gushing The Omnipotent Grinner made, and not the OP.

I wouldn't go looking too hard in that post for a point, Cain.   :lulz:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ascoe on January 11, 2010, 09:21:37 AM
Quotefor me, it has nothing to do with the validity of the metaphor (it's quite flawed, BTW), and everything to do with not liking Assco.
wah? i've barely posted here at all.

if you have a severe problem with me, take it up in pm or irc please.

no, I prefer to humiliate you publicly. but you're right, aside from imagebombing, spewing pinealist drivel, willfully pissing on our social conventions, and registering several alternate accounts, we're all good.