Testimonial: "Yeah, wasn't expecting it. Near shat myself."

Main Menu

The case against Obama

Started by Cain, January 09, 2010, 08:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

A list

* The bailout.  Enough said. (link)

* Refusing to investigate any of the Bush era crimes, including the Iraq War falsification of intelligence, torture or the surveillance state (link, link, link)

* Backing the renewal of PATRIOT Act provisions (link)

* Asserting the power to order extraordinary rendition, ie; kidnapping (link)

* Asserting the power to hold detainees indefinitely, without charge, as well as seeking to hold people indefinitely on the basis they may commit acts of terrorism in the future (link)

* Military show trials will continue in cases where civilian trials would lose (due to the lower threshold for proof) (link)

* Torture will continue at "black sites" like Bagram Air Base and Balad Air Base (link)

* Failure to close Guantamo (though, given the above abuses, it would make little difference) and worsening of abuse there (link)

* Private mercenaries have been deployed to Somalia, and US Special Forces to Yemen, meaning the USA is now waging war in five Muslim countries right now (link, link, link)

* Failure to withdraw in any meaningful sense from Iraq (50-60,000 troops are intended to continue serving in the country) (link)

* Pointless surge in Afghanistan (link, link)

* Increased use of Predator airstrikes in Pakistan, weapons with a 95% chance of killing a civilian instead of a terrorist (link)

* Escalation of a farcical global missile defense shield (link)

* Blackwater are now an integral part of "special operations" taking place in Pakistan (link)

* Blackwater are also allegedly helping to plan JSOC missions for Uzbekistan against the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (link)

* Failure to act in any meaningful way on healthcare reform

* Ramping up the surveillance state with new "fusion centres" and a new base for the NSA in Utah which is big enough to store the entire internet twice over on it (a "Yottabyte") (link, link)

* Complete inability to put real pressure on Israel to stop building in the occupied territories (link)

* Massively expanding the drug war in Colombia, much to the excitement of President Uribe (link)

* Expansion of the Islamabad embassy to turn it into a virtual fortress of American power in Pakistan (link)

* Obama has cosied up with Islam Karimov's regime in Uzbekistan, the one that drops dissidents into vats of boiling water and uses child slave labour (link)

* Private contractors in Afghanistan have increased 40% under Obama, despite the obviousness of their flaws being exposed in Iraq (link)

* The hideous agreement pushed by Obama at Copehagen (link)

Captain Utopia

HOPE

It's sad. The most I'm hoping for now with regards Obama is that he becomes a poster boy for politicians of all parties making unrealistic campaign promises.

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Jasper

Salty

You guys should stop crtiticizing him. He's doing the best he can with what he has to work with. Don't you think the government ensures that we get the best person possible for his position? It's not just a crapshoot. I think if any of us were in his position we would understand better what he's going through.

Wow, that works real good Johnny.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Elder Iptuous

Cain,
that's a nice list.
I think it would be enhanced tremendously with footnote citations.  It would require some footwork, but then would make an excellent poster/chain email.

East Coast Hustle

Cain, I hope you don't mind that I've just c&p'd that to Facebook as a note.

Can't wait to see what kind of shitstorm it stirs up.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

Not at all, go for it..

Also, citations do sound like a good idea.  I would be quite happy if others were to find them, or post their own suggestions for additions ITT.

Requia ☣

Indefinite detentions need to go on there too.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Cain on January 09, 2010, 11:06:39 PM
Not at all, go for it..

Also, citations do sound like a good idea.  I would be quite happy if others were to find them, or post their own suggestions for additions ITT.
Expansion of the Faith-Based Initiates Office. I know that kinda pales in comparison to everything you posted but it still pisses me off.

I hope you plan on posting this to your blog at some point.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Chief Uwachiquen

Someone should edit Wikipedia and put this up on there for the lulz. And to see how long before it's taken down.

Golden Applesauce

Cain - what was the Copenhagen agreement (and its significance) exactly?

Quote from: Chief Uwachiquen on January 10, 2010, 10:06:29 AM
Someone should edit Wikipedia and put this up on there for the lulz. And to see how long before it's taken down.

<30 seconds, if on Obama's page directly, would be my guess.  You don't really think that only a small number of people have thought of doing stuff like that before?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

AFK

The only thing I would add is his inaction on Don't Ask Don't Tell and Defense of Marriage Act. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on January 10, 2010, 07:29:10 AM
Expansion of the Faith-Based Initiates Office. I know that kinda pales in comparison to everything you posted but it still pisses me off.

I hope you plan on posting this to your blog at some point.

I wouldn't minimize that.  It's not being used currently in a terribly deleterious way, but it continues and validates a terrible precedent...
one that could be used to well undermine separation of church and state.
i think your spot on that it's significant.