News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

AUTENTICA

Started by E.O.T., January 11, 2010, 04:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.O.T.

EITHER

I bought it at IKEA

OR

For the better part of the last year, I've been remodeling a restaurant. It started with hooking up a sink and snowballed into adding more kitchen & dining space. The owner/ chef recently won every award you can get in the city, and being a creative individual he also gave me a lot of room for design. I studied a lot of traditional mexican art in the process, which isn't much different than 'traditional' anything, I found, however, it gave me that final encouragement to really spend time getting into joinery. You know, just wood, fitting into wood. And then staying there. Sounds like a bad one nighter, but it's really heaven. Anyways, here's some stuff that happened in the process:

This is  where things began to tip. Oswaldo wanted to cover up the water heater in this new bathroom we built. While putting it together, I kept telling him I was just using his back patio for an art project, which he accepted. Two days later, my first foray into traditional joinery produced this 8 foot by 2 foot three panel (That's 8x6, total) TOTALLY RECLAIMED LUMBER screen, with old door hinges as the hinging. The material is all old school wood I've pulled from jobsights doing remodels.

Another ridiculous, but fun project. Oswaldo wanted a "draft" wall for tables near the front door. Apparently people with so much money they drop $150 on a meal complain alot about the natural universe, and its' inconveniences. I milled down old douglas fir for about two days, joined some panels then trimmed out of my mind with a jigsaw and router.

Oswaldo wanted the new dining area to double as a private party space, so I built this oversized cafe style door to offer seperation (from the giant hole I made in the wall for people to walk through). I started with these rough, oversized cedar planks and planed them down for about two days, hand milled the detail trim pieces and WALLAH!! a door. Again, my masturbatory endeavor into mortis and tenon joinery gone wild.  All wood joints, no nails, no screws.

Here's the new dining space. Surprisingly,  the garish pink which Oswaldo insisted was a "Mexican" thing, looks pretty sultry in dim light. That giant built in is all clear douglas fir, which I hauled out of my garage (because I love Oswaldo) and is actually a functional space on the kitchen side, for the linen, coats, plates, shoes and cockroaches.

Outgoing plates get set on this. Fat 2 x 10" cedar mortised into itself. Again, pure joinery fappishness.

Overall, this was a fun gig, can't wait til AUTENTICA expands again. Aside from great people to be around all day, I was fed huge plates of the best food ever all day long.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Cainad (dec.)

your pictures, fix them

otherwise, this sounds fascinating. I look forward to being able to see what you're talking about.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cainad on January 11, 2010, 04:34:44 AM
your pictures, fix them

otherwise, this sounds fascinating. I look forward to being able to see what you're talking about.

I guess that explains the username.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I like the big box/wardrobe thing.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

I love fake/draft walls.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cainad (dec.)

Nice stuff! I dig carpentry. I assume you do this for a living?

Bu🤠ns

:mittens:

OH very nice...it's MUCH better with the pics.  I've always been amazed at different types of carpentry and that sort of thing.

LMNO

E.O.T., you may want to be aware that I have reached a point where any time I see one of your EITHER/OR posts, I immediately stop reading, and skip to the next post.

I may be missing some interesting content because of this, but I really don't care.

Just thought you should know.

Kisses,
LMNO

E.O.T.

Quote from: LMNO on January 13, 2010, 03:16:48 PM
E.O.T., you may want to be aware that I have reached a point where any time I see one of your EITHER/OR posts, I immediately stop reading, and skip to the next post.

I may be missing some interesting content because of this, but I really don't care.

Kisses,
LMNO

EITHER

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times! QUIT. READING. MY. POSTS.

OR

We all do it, I won't hold it against you.

:argh!:

The Johnny

Quote from: E.O.T. on January 15, 2010, 03:41:43 AM

Kisses,
LMNO

EITHER

OR

It would be nice if you inflated your posts with content instead of with spaces.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

E.O.T.

Quote from: JohNyx on January 15, 2010, 03:52:16 AM

Kisses,
LMNO

EITHER

OR

It would be nice if you inflated your posts with content instead of with spaces.

EITHER

"space is the place (whiteynotallowed)" - Sun Ra

OR

I'm greatly anticipating your example, which I have yet to witness.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

CHECK

YOUR

FUCKING

EMAIL
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

E.O.T.

Quote from: The Right Reverend Nigel on January 15, 2010, 04:36:03 AM
CHECK

YOUR

FUCKING

EMAIL

EITHER

GO. TO. BED. BITCH.

OR

"Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the death of gay marriage in New Jersey, and will soon see the end of the Pickle." -Darth Vader

Bu🤠ns

Make some more wood things.

Triple Zero

EITHER

OR

Why do you post like this?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.