News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Hey Jim...All My Rowdy Friends Have Lost Their Minds.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 11, 2010, 04:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2010, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: Hoopla on January 11, 2010, 08:48:53 PM
and trying not to saunter down that road without good boots I begin to wonder whether this particular baby group gives any of its money to Theodore Geisel's family?

That man had more useful things to say than any 1000 "philosophers" you could name, all put together.

Needless to say, he's out of style, along with Dr Spock and Jim Henson and C Everett Coop and anyone else who gave a damn about kids, even if they weren't always right.

:mittens:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Jasper

I'm not in a place to empathize with the Road, but I can appreciate it intellectually.  Liked reading this, it gave me some insight into the mental lives of posters here.

Stuff like this seems to really resonate deeply with a lot of you guys, but it puts me in a thoughtful mood.

/$0.02

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on January 12, 2010, 04:53:27 AM
I'm not in a place to empathize with the Road, but I can appreciate it intellectually.  Liked reading this, it gave me some insight into the mental lives of posters here.

Stuff like this seems to really resonate deeply with a lot of you guys, but it puts me in a thoughtful mood.

/$0.02

So great.  Now we're lab rats.  Or a novelty.  A freak show.

WATCH THE FUNNY MONKEYS DANCE.  ONLY $5, FOLKS!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 04:54:52 AM
I'm not in a place to empathize with the Road, but I can appreciate it intellectually.  Liked reading this, it gave me some insight into the mental lives of posters here.

/$0.02

So great.  Now we're lab rats.  Or a novelty.  A freak show.

WATCH THE FUNNY MONKEYS DANCE.  ONLY $5, FOLKS!

You know I didn't mean it like that.  Just sharing my take on it, since it is apparently so unlike everyone else's, and maybe further discussion would prove fruitful.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on January 12, 2010, 04:57:27 AM

/$0.02

You know I didn't mean it like that.  Just sharing my take on it, since it is apparently so unlike everyone else's, and maybe further discussion would prove fruitful.

The "insight into our mental lives" bit sounded a little fucked up, Felix.  Just saying.

Jasper

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 04:59:00 AM

/$0.02

The "insight into our mental lives" bit sounded a little fucked up, Felix.  Just saying.

Poorly phrased, came across wrong.  The meaning was that by reading this I better understand the way some of you see the world.  It didn't sound good, but it comes from a place of compassion.  Reading this made me stare at the rift between the way I see life, and the way others do. 

I'm genuinely interested in the Road.  To me it seemed like a poetic description of the path of truth that so many of us seek to follow, but my conception of that path is/was not so fraught with cosmic horror, and I'm thinking about revising.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on January 12, 2010, 05:04:13 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2010, 04:59:00 AM

/$0.02

Poorly phrased, came across wrong.  The meaning was that by reading this I better understand the way some of you see the world.  It didn't sound good, but it comes from a place of compassion.  Reading this made me stare at the rift between the way I see life, and the way others do. 

I'm genuinely interested in the Road.  To me it seemed like a poetic description of the path of truth that so many of us seek to follow, but my conception of that path is/was not so fraught with cosmic horror, and I'm thinking about revising.

Compassion?  For what?

Anyway, it isn't cosmic horror, it's the regular kind.  See my reply to Mistress Freeky.  It's actually pretty prosaic, everyday horror.

Jasper

Just generalized humanistic compassion. 

I used 'cosmic' because of allusions to sausage monsters, which sounded Lovecraftian.  I think the connection was erroneous though. 

Part of my way of seeing the way of truth is that it is the hardest road to walk, and it is often uglier than most can stomach, and it requires an accurate moral compass to not get lost, and other valuable psychological resources.  However I don't see it as 'just' ugly, and in fact I sense that this path contains enough beauty to make the effort worthwhile, despite the hardships, and I find it disingenuous to omit the sheer hugeness of its redeeming aspects.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Felix on January 12, 2010, 05:12:16 AM
Just generalized humanistic compassion. 

I used 'cosmic' because of allusions to sausage monsters, which sounded Lovecraftian.  I think the connection was erroneous though. 

Part of my way of seeing the way of truth is that it is the hardest road to walk, and it is often uglier than most can stomach, and it requires an accurate moral compass to not get lost, and other valuable psychological resources.  However I don't see it as 'just' ugly, and in fact I sense that this path contains enough beauty to make the effort worthwhile, despite the hardships, and I find it disingenuous to omit the sheer hugeness of its redeeming aspects.

The sausage creature is what you turn into when you hit pavement or a windshield at 60MPH or so.  Just so ya know.

Jasper

BabylonHoruv

I can't drive.  I have a visual disability that means I can still see, almost as well as everyone else but not quite well enough to operate a heavy chunk of machinery travelling down the highway at 60 miles per hour.  This means that if I am on the highway I am a passenger, or a pedestrian.  Pedestrians aren't supposed to be there, it's a divided highway after all, and they are probably right to keep us off, people drive like maniacs there, the cars go flying by and they don't expect anyone walking along the shoulder.  That doesn't change the fact that sometimes I have to walk along it anyways.  Sometimes I can't bear being taken along at terrible speeds by someone else, knowing that they are making horrible mistakes that are going to get us all squashed, and knowing I can't scream about it because that will only make us all get squashed that much sooner.

You find a lot of interesting things walking along a highway though, it was designed to be experienced at 60 miles per hour or more, things are spread out and all look the same from a car, more or less, but walking along it you see each thing by itself, you realize that this family looks like they are playing with their dog from a car, but down on the ground you see that no, it's not their dog, and that friendly game of chase me isn't a game, and those looks are not playful mockeries of terror.  You could go take part in their game too, if you really wanted to, but I wouldn't suggest it. 

Even the rest areas are different, and if you can't take being down in it walking any longer you can always try to get a ride there.  That means you are out of control again though, even if you do get to whizz by with the world safely behind glass once more, and the driver really doesn't want to hear you telling him how much fun those people reaqlly aren't having, he has his own shit to worry about anyways, and if you keep telling him things he doesn't want to hear he's going to let you off at the next rest stop, and you know that's not where you want to be, that one doesn't have any access to anything, and the truckers who stop there are always giving you funny looks, and this one time one asked if you wanted a ride and you could tell that being in the cab with him, alone, would be even worse than being out on that highway in the dark walking past the wrecks of cars where people whine and beg you to pull them out.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Dysfunctional Cunt

hooplala

I never considered being mentally examined while writing one of these.  Hrm.

Something to consider while writing the next one, I guess.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman