News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Arts You Can See with Your Face

Started by Nast, January 12, 2010, 07:18:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

Thanks, you guys!  :)

The funny thing is that when working on a picture, I often don't like it at all. Because as I work on it, I stress over all the little mistakes and places I think I could have done better. I see my "hand" all over it. It's only after maybe a few weeks when the piece has been put out of mind that I like it, because that's when I can look at it in a more objective light.

I should probably also mention that criticism is very much appreciated. After all, this thread shouldn't just be about tooting my own horn.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

A lotus flower, Nelumbo nucifera. You can eat these, by the way.

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Eater of Clowns

It's very pretty Nast.  The uh, the green mass you have the flower sprouting from.  Is it intentionally a crotch?  Still, very pretty.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Nast

Quote from: EoC on April 15, 2010, 06:11:51 AM
It's very pretty Nast.  The uh, the green mass you have the flower sprouting from.  Is it intentionally a crotch?  Still, very pretty.

The green mass is its leaf. It wasn't intentional, but as you know, plant matter is rife with suggestive themes.
I mean, just looking at Georgia O'Keefe's work, you would think that the woman never had her mind out of the gutter.

Nast

I made a cup! I took a ceramics class, and this is the only thing that I made the entire semester that I actually like.  :lol:

Here's a detail of the glaze near the bottom. It came out all iridescent and blue, which I think is attractive -

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Jasper

What are those dark streaks that look like bamboo leaves or grass?

Quote from: Sigmatic on May 12, 2010, 11:14:31 PM
Eh.  It's iri-decent.

8)

That pun had a chance but you blue it.

I think the colors, texture and speckles are great.

I would cherish the fuck out of that thing.

Jasper

I can tell you're green with envy for my wit.

Another slant pun and things may get violet.

Nast

I'm finding all your puns to be extremely unpalette-able.  :argh!:

@Net: Thanks! The dark lines are supposed to be aquatic plants.
What I learned about ceramics is just how unexpectedly things can turn out. The piece you worked really hard on can end up poorly: the glaze can run, the clay could crack, your hand could slip a little while trimming it, so you can't get very attached to things. But I like this one, and gave it to my mom for Mother's Day.  :)

Nast

Dynastes hercules.

I think all kinds of rhinoceros beetles are adorable, so I drew one.

Nast

When I was in Oregon a few weeks ago, we took a day trip to the redwoods. It's funny how even in the midst of all those grand trees one of the most engaging things for me was these little translucent beasties, no bigger than my thumbnail. There were also banana slugs (<3) , but the pictures are less interesting, if not more yellow and phallic.

Jasper

What are they?  They're beautiful.

Nast

I have no idea. Some kind of fungus? A slime mold, perhaps?