News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

Guerilla Mango Shock & Awe Campaign 2010, sign up here

Started by AsylumSeaker, January 14, 2010, 12:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsylumSeaker

There are quite a few mango trees in my city (brisbane, australia), on public land, in parks, and in peoples yards overhanging the sidewalks.. This year most of them had a particularly bountiful crop - mangoes fucking everywhere! I love mangoes.
I'm taking it upon my self to select the most delicious mangoes from the most prosperous trees and plant the seeds, raise them to seedlings and then covertly place them around the city. Median strips, unused scraps of land, parks, waterways, etc. I think I can singlehandedly double or triple the mango population, at least within my suburb.
Is anyone interested in starting a sect somewhere else?

The Good Reverend Roger

I did this with "seeds" in the city gardens of the town I used to live in near Chicago. 

Fucking Chemlawn killed them before they were recognizable, which would thus prompt an outraged call to the papers.

:crankey:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 14, 2010, 12:50:14 AM
I doubt Mango trees will grow where I am.

We can grow mesquite trees.  And Cactus.  And rocks.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

fresh ripe mango is my absolute favorite thing to eat, ever, as long as it's an heirloom variety and not from a grafted tree.

my mom and stepdad grow julie mangoes on their property and they're the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. The trees don't reach maturity for quite a while, though, so as cool as an idea as it is you'd be in it for the long term.

I'd totally be down for this, but I'm pretty sure mangoes won't grow in Oregon.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AsylumSeaker

^^^ Yup, a non-grafted tree will take 8 years or so before it bears fruit, but that's alright.. There's plenty of mango trees already bearing fruit around me.

Nast

Apparently mangoes don't get along well with frost, so if you live somewhere where temperatures go below 32F, they probably won't survive.

Oh, and plants grown from seeds are genetically different from the parent tree, so chances are your fruit will be of variable quality. But I like the idea. Guerrilla gardening ftw.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 14, 2010, 01:35:59 AM
Apparently mangoes don't get along well with frost, so if you live somewhere where temperatures go below 32F, they probably won't survive.

Oh, and plants grown from seeds are genetically different from the parent tree, so chances are your fruit will be of variable quality. But I like the idea. Guerrilla gardening ftw.

here in the UK my mango would die.

gueriila gardening is truly awesome,  Spreading confusion AND foliage!

AsylumSeaker

I'm no botanist, but I've read that the seedlings from polyembryonic mango seeds will be clones of the parent.. Perhaps what I read was simply that the multiple plants from one seed will be clones of each other, I don't know.

Nast

Quote from: AsylumSeaker on January 14, 2010, 01:51:25 AM

I'm no botanist, but I've read that the seedlings from polyembryonic mango seeds will be clones of the parent.. Perhaps what I read was simply that the multiple plants from one seed will be clones of each other, I don't know.

Ah, you're right! If your mango seed is from a polyembryonic variety, then it will be a clone of the parent. But I think not all varieties have that property.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

The Johnny

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 14, 2010, 12:51:09 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 14, 2010, 12:50:14 AM
I doubt Mango trees will grow where I am.

We can grow mesquite trees.  And Cactus.  And rocks.

Mezquites are badass, and they have these sharp pretty thorns.

Although you cant use them as ritual drugs... but you could cut the thorns in cross shapes and sell them to catholic fanatics (common practice btw).
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Telarus

Mesquite got to hawaii due to the cattle trade. In the islands it grows into trees like this called "Keave" after the long ropy branches full of thorns:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!