News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

Woolworth's outlet the product of aliens

Started by Rococo Modem Basilisk, January 13, 2010, 08:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

One possible conclusion from this pinpoint accuracy is that the Woolworths tribal duty managers positioned the stores as a form of "landmark satnav". This allowed travellers to find their nearest outlet for sweets that could be acquired in any combination they desired. This could offer us a fascinating insight into what life was like in 2008 England, and we can't rule out that alien help was required to position stores this precisely and to offer the Ladybird clothing range at such low prices.
http://timesonline.typepad.com/science/2010/01/aliens-with-a-taste-for-pick-n-mix-woolworths-stores-follow-uncanny-geometrical-patterns.html

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Are there even still Woolworth's in business?

I haven't seen one in 15 years or more.

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Brotep

:lulz:

Awesome article.  Not sure it's high weirdness, though--just funny.

QuoteOr it could be that I just skipped over the vast majority of the Woolworths locations and only chose the few that happened to line-up. From 800 stores, there are over 85 million possible triangles; the 1500 prehistoric sites that Brooks used give over 561 million triangles. From these millions of options it is easy to pick out the few that seem to be impossibly precise.

It is mathematically known that if you have a sufficiently large set of random data, you can find any pattern that you want with any given level of accuracy. What Brooks and I have discovered says less about any meaning to the patterns and more about how the locations follow a truly random distribution.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I realize that the original article was about the law of fives, btw. I'm presenting it the same way boingboing did.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Khara on January 13, 2010, 09:14:55 PM

They closed down at the end of 2008, due to the financial crisis.  Might not have been reported over there (I didn't know they were also in America) but it was a pretty big deal here.

Suu

Woolworth's was based in NYC for years. The Woolworth's building is still there. But yeah, I haven't seen one open since I went there to buy pogs and sit in the luncheonette they had for grilled cheese. So that was middle school for me.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

MMIX

LolFnordPineal23whateverwhatever . . .whatever
Someone should do this for Starbucks . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Rumckle

Quote from: Khara on January 13, 2010, 09:14:55 PM

They are still one of the biggest supermarket chains in Australia.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: WikipediaRetail chains using the Woolworth name survive in Germany, Austria, Mexico, and South Africa, and, until the start of 2009, in the United Kingdom. The similarly-named Woolworth's supermarkets in Australia and New Zealand are operated by Woolworths Limited, a separate company with no historical links to the F.W. Woolworth Company or Foot Locker, Inc. However, this company did take the name from F. W. Woolworth as it had global appeal.

Bruno

Quote from: Suu on January 14, 2010, 04:20:32 PM
Woolworth's was based in NYC for years. The Woolworth's building is still there. But yeah, I haven't seen one open since I went there to buy pogs and sit in the luncheonette they had for grilled cheese. So that was middle school for me.

Woolworths: Famous for their lunch counters.

Formerly something else...

LMNO

Rumckle

Quote from: Cainad on January 14, 2010, 08:03:33 PM
Quote from: WikipediaRetail chains using the Woolworth name survive in Germany, Austria, Mexico, and South Africa, and, until the start of 2009, in the United Kingdom. The similarly-named Woolworth's supermarkets in Australia and New Zealand are operated by Woolworths Limited, a separate company with no historical links to the F.W. Woolworth Company or Foot Locker, Inc. However, this company did take the name from F. W. Woolworth as it had global appeal.

:oops:

Nevermind, Australiancentric worldview strikes again.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Rumckle on January 15, 2010, 03:24:16 AM
Quote from: Cainad on January 14, 2010, 08:03:33 PM

:oops:

Nevermind, Australiancentric worldview strikes again.

Could have fooled me. The only reason I bothered to look it up is because I'm a massive nerd.