News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

Lost Topics #2: Modern Spellbooks

Started by Triple Zero, September 01, 2008, 07:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fundamentalist

This reminds me of a short story by Cory Doctorow (you know him as the crazy copyleft guy) in which the enlightened Chinese government left out "phonebooks" for Americans, the USA being even more 1984-ish in the story.  The "phonebooks" contained "recipes", basically typed-out pieces of code that allowed circumvention of various fascist devices.  It does seem a lot like a spellbook.

Things like "23 things to do while you're bored" and the thing about making everybody's day a little weirder from Intermittens seem like spellbooks too, but memetic.  Like a list of psychic attack spells.  And then you leave them out...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Fundamentalist on January 10, 2010, 04:29:55 AM
This reminds me of a short story by Cory Doctorow (you know him as the crazy copyleft guy) in which the enlightened Chinese government left out "phonebooks" for Americans, the USA being even more 1984-ish in the story.  The "phonebooks" contained "recipes", basically typed-out pieces of code that allowed circumvention of various fascist devices.  It does seem a lot like a spellbook.

Things like "23 things to do while you're bored" and the thing about making everybody's day a little weirder from Intermittens seem like spellbooks too, but memetic.  Like a list of psychic attack spells.  And then you leave them out...

The crazy copyleft guy, and that one guy who writes ALL THOSE AWESOME FUCKING NOVELS.

C'mon.

But I like the bit about modern spellbooks.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: The Fundamentalist on January 10, 2010, 04:29:55 AM
This reminds me of a short story by Cory Doctorow (you know him as the crazy copyleft guy) in which the enlightened Chinese government left out "phonebooks" for Americans, the USA being even more 1984-ish in the story.  The "phonebooks" contained "recipes", basically typed-out pieces of code that allowed circumvention of various fascist devices.  It does seem a lot like a spellbook.

Things like "23 things to do while you're bored" and the thing about making everybody's day a little weirder from Intermittens seem like spellbooks too, but memetic.  Like a list of psychic attack spells.  And then you leave them out...

I don't know if there's a difference.

ETA: I love tfy,s publications for that very reason.  They provoke a nice change in consciousness especially out of blue for some folks like the 23 things to do, pamphlets.