News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Corporations now have the right to spend money directly to influence elections

Started by BabylonHoruv, January 21, 2010, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-court-corporations22-2010jan22,0,4141508.story

In a 5-4 decision, the {supreme court of the USA}court's conservative bloc said corporations have the same 1st Amendment rights as individuals and, for that reason, the government may not stop corporations from spending freely to influence the outcome of federal elections.

:horrormirth:

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Idem

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 21, 2010, 09:55:12 PM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-court-corporations22-2010jan22,0,4141508.story

In a 5-4 decision, the {supreme court of the USA}court's conservative bloc said corporations have the same 1st Amendment rights as individuals and, for that reason, the government may not stop corporations from spending freely to influence the outcome of federal elections.

:horrormirth:

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

"Limited Liability" and "Unlimited Freedom"; I'm sure thats what The Founders intended.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Remington

Yeah, there goes my last little bit of hope for humanity.

brb preparing napalm
Is it plugged in?

Idem

LMNO

WELCOME TO AMERCORP, CONSUMERS. WOULD YOU LIKE TO SUPERSIZE YOUR CANDIDATE?

Jenne

Heard about this this a.m.  I think we can expect SCOTUS to start being total and complete dickwads from here on out, no holds barred.  I'm just waiting for them to totally fubar the CA prison system decision--as it is there're multiple interpretations of what they said yesterday.  Fallout to continue, I suppose.

So this decision didn't shock me in the slightest.  Sigh.  Fucking assholes.

Iason Ouabache

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20100121/pl_politico/31786

QuoteAnother conservative justice, Clarence Thomas, filed a separate opinion that mostly concurred with the majority, but made the case for going even further by striking down disclosure requirements.

I should be surprised, but I'm really not. I come to expect this special brand of fuckery from Thomas. I always expept him to come to the exact wrong decisions for the exact wrong reasons every single time.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Cramulus

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Requia ☣

Erm, wouldn't corps still be limited to the same 5000 dollars private individuals have under this?  If so its fairly insignificant compared to campaign donations by the executives.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 22, 2010, 03:43:55 AM
Erm, wouldn't corps still be limited to the same 5000 dollars private individuals have under this?  If so its fairly insignificant compared to campaign donations by the executives.

The limit could be a dollar.  It still doesn't make it right.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Requia ☣

I'm actually gonna have to agree with the conservative judges on this one (Note to self, you just agreed with Scalia, get a lobotomy)  Free speech is free speech, if we allow restriction corporations this way, then that opens the door to restrict corporate use of other media as well.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.