News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Corporations now have the right to spend money directly to influence elections

Started by BabylonHoruv, January 21, 2010, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 28, 2010, 04:26:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 28, 2010, 04:03:47 PM
:lol:

John Adams had ideas about democracy that were...unmodern.

He also hated free speech.

Yeah, 'democracy' was not a good term in the late 1700's. It was considered much like anarchy is today... a completely unworkable model that would lead to madness and the destruction of everything good. "OMGZ we can't let the plebs vote, for god's sake they'll just sell their vote to the highest bidder because they're too dumb to know what's best for them! Or worse yet, vote in some illiterate buffoon that will dress up in a flight suit and crow about winning a war that is just starting!"

Meh.  Things improved, and you have to start somewhere.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Some glibertarians still repeat those arguments today, about how all democracy has led to is people voting in the person who will transfer most wealth from the national treasury (and wealth producers) to the stupid, slavish masses, which will cause the country to collapse.  Which of course has happened tons of times, historically, srsly.

I wonder if those same people are feeling really kinda stupid right now?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2010, 04:29:45 PM
Some glibertarians still repeat those arguments today, about how all democracy has led to is people voting in the person who will transfer most wealth from the national treasury (and wealth producers) to the stupid, slavish masses, which will cause the country to collapse.  Which of course has happened tons of times, historically, srsly.

I wonder if those same people are feeling really kinda stupid right now?

No, I think they feel vindicated.  They're religious about it, Cain, and no amount of evidence will convince them.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

True.  See the hilarious comments on MW about corporations not using coercion, for another example of glibertarian artefacts of faith being refused by reality (I'm going to bump that in a few days and mention United Fruit...and again a few days later to mention Operation Ajax.  And every other example of corps breaking open a new market by deposing a government that I can think of).  Still, such people are fun to poke with sticks.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2010, 04:49:20 PM
True.  See the hilarious comments on MW about corporations not using coercion, for another example of glibertarian artefacts of faith being refused by reality (I'm going to bump that in a few days and mention United Fruit...and again a few days later to mention Operation Ajax.  And every other example of corps breaking open a new market by deposing a government that I can think of).  Still, such people are fun to poke with sticks.

Yeah, I saw that.  Lais is brain damaged, and Memnoch is the very model of the Randite drone.  Morbidly obese, couldn't finish his term in the military (but knows everything about it), lives in his mother-in-law's basement, and spends every free moment preaching about "self-reliance".

Cain

Well, Lais is a birther who quotes World Net Daily and Free Republic as valid sources, so even if he didn't have brain damage before, he still has it now.  And yeah, I remember snorting coffee when I saw a pic of Memnoch.  He may have been in the military once, but nowadays he's only a member of the 101st Chairborne.

Do they really believe corporations pay all that campaign money to political parties just so they can oppress them?  Do they really think reducing legislation aimed at limiting their influence, no matter how effectively, can be gotten rid of and then the market will just mysteriously rebalance itself in favour of the individual, regardless of the massive inequalities that have built up over generations, if not centuries, through corporate wealth (in the UK for example, the very first industrialists were...minor noblemen, and their main investors were the landed gentry, who of course stole land from the peasantry through superior military force and then rewrote the laws so that it had always been theirs, and the peasants were tenants)?  Are they, in fact, aware of any economic history beyond Economics In A Single Lesson?

Gah, glibertarians do my nut in.  This totally artificial divide between one portion of the ruling class (who do the actual robbing) and the other (who hold a gun on you while the robbery is underway) is nothing more than poor apologetics.  And we're going to see a lot more of it in the near future, since professional ass-kissing just became even more allowable.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2010, 05:04:08 PM
Well, Lais is a birther who quotes World Net Daily and Free Republic as valid sources, so even if he didn't have brain damage before, he still has it now.  And yeah, I remember snorting coffee when I saw a pic of Memnoch.  He may have been in the military once, but nowadays he's only a member of the 101st Chairborne.

Actually, it's Mem that's the freeper.  Lais uses ever-more bizarre sources to back up his giddyness.  For example, he quotes The Daily Mail and expects people to take it seriously.  Nowdays, when he posts, it's usually followed by posts saying things like, "For fuck's sake, Lais", and "Good Grief", etc.  Pisses him off to no end.

Cain

The Daily Mail can be OK, so long as the story has nothing to do with:

science
Health
immigrants
Muslims
Anyone to the left of Maggie Thatcher
New Labour
the BBC
Health and safety regs
facts
reality

I'm sure Lais posted a freeper link at least once, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out Mem lurks there.  If not in fact posts.  That place is like the welcome room of Stormfront, which is the vilest cesspool on the internet, bar none.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2010, 05:12:09 PM
The Daily Mail can be OK, so long as the story has nothing to do with:

science
Health
immigrants
Muslims
Anyone to the left of Maggie Thatcher
New Labour
the BBC
Health and safety regs
facts
reality

I'm sure Lais posted a freeper link at least once, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out Mem lurks there.  If not in fact posts.  That place is like the welcome room of Stormfront, which is the vilest cesspool on the internet, bar none.

Yeah, he's a regular member there...don't recall the handle he uses.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Well hell, if you let all the white guys vote, eventually the smudgy people will want to vote, and the Catholics... it would be MADNESS!!!

:argh!:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

North Carolina removed landowning requirements in its 1776 state constitution.  Er, assuming it had one before that.  Voting there required that you be a landowner that lived in the place you voted, *or* that you had lived there for a year.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 22, 2010, 03:53:16 AM
I'm actually gonna have to agree with the conservative judges on this one (Note to self, you just agreed with Scalia, get a lobotomy)  Free speech is free speech, if we allow restriction corporations this way, then that opens the door to restrict corporate use of other media as well.

POAST OF THE MILLENIUM.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 30, 2018, 02:16:47 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 22, 2010, 03:53:16 AM
I'm actually gonna have to agree with the conservative judges on this one (Note to self, you just agreed with Scalia, get a lobotomy)  Free speech is free speech, if we allow restriction corporations this way, then that opens the door to restrict corporate use of other media as well.

POAST OF THE MILLENIUM.

Fucking christ on a crouton.