News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 02, 2014, 09:39:10 PM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 02, 2014, 07:41:43 PM
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/09/30/how-to-be-a-nonconformist-elissa-jane-karg/

This pretty much sums it up for me....and what Roger said.c

That was wonderful! The drawings and lettering were superb.

And they all describe one thing; young people trying to understand themselves and their place in a society that was, at the time, beginning to latch on to the marketing potion of rugged individualism, which is profoundly at odds with human nature and the synthesis of a successful society.

Yeah that's a good way to put it.  And I'm also reminded of that newfeed from here -- that whole 'doing something opposite of the mainstream is still using the mainstream as the primary point of reference' bit.  That still sticks with me.

Eater of Clowns

My problem with the word hipster is that it's so wildly different to every person who uses it that it, as a term, is completely useless. Five years ago I was pretty sure I knew what a hipster was. Now hipster appears to mean everyone, and everything, for every reason.

hipster (n.) - a conversational signifier that you are about to lose interest in what's being discussed

I can't tell if the comic is doing this intentionally but it's proving its "one-upsmanship" point more in the last panel than it is with the two guys talking. Two people are having a conversation that they both appear to find interesting and enjoyable. Then the rest of them one up their cred with the conversation meta commentary, shitting on other people's fun.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah. I also love it when people dismiss what I have to say on the basis of me being "a hipster". It happens all the time, especially online, because I have purple bangs and I live in Portland. 42-year-old mother of four? Well, that just makes me a hipster mom. Easily dismissable. Irrelevant.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also, I have to point out that when old people do exactly what those young people are doing in the comic, we call it "reminiscing". People love to locate shared experiences, especially when they have a shared interest like a particular music genre. That's a large part of how people bond, and figure out how they relate to other people. Who hasn't met someone about their age from their hometown, or someone who went to the same school, and had a conversation that's all "Rememer the murals under the bridge? And Mrs. Peterson?" etc. etc.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 12:42:28 AM
Also, I have to point out that when old people do exactly what those young people are doing in the comic, we call it "reminiscing". People love to locate shared experiences, especially when they have a shared interest like a particular music genre. That's a large part of how people bond, and figure out how they relate to other people. Who hasn't met someone about their age from their hometown, or someone who went to the same school, and had a conversation that's all "Rememer the murals under the bridge? And Mrs. Peterson?" etc. etc.

Oh boy! Nigel is Nigeling again.  <3

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: /b/earman on February 03, 2014, 02:21:39 AM
Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 12:42:28 AM

HANG ON TO YOUR PROSTATES, BOYS!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Nobody ever usually likes it when I do that.  :p

Ben Shapiro

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on February 03, 2014, 02:43:42 AM

I got my helmet and my safety whistle ready!

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: /b/earman on February 03, 2014, 03:03:55 AM

I got my helmet and my safety whistle ready!

I never let go :)

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I interpreted the comic quite a bit differently. The things they were referencing got increasingly obscure, so there was an air of competition (also indicated by the increasing shortness of references and the speed at which they were thrown out); I'd compare it more to nerd exclusionism -- you know, the YOU'RE NOT A REAL GEEK BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THE INCREDIBLE HULK'S SHOE SIZE bullshit.

(And, yes, a running gag is that everyone in the comic is a hipster. I don't think the irony of using meta-commentary there was accidental.)

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel's Red Velveteen Skinmeat Snacks on February 03, 2014, 02:46:30 AM
Nobody ever usually likes it when I do that.  :p

We say we don't but you know we do.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 03, 2014, 12:56:21 PM
I interpreted the comic quite a bit differently. The things they were referencing got increasingly obscure, so there was an air of competition (also indicated by the increasing shortness of references and the speed at which they were thrown out); I'd compare it more to nerd exclusionism -- you know, the YOU'RE NOT A REAL GEEK BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THE INCREDIBLE HULK'S SHOE SIZE bullshit.

(And, yes, a running gag is that everyone in the comic is a hipster. I don't think the irony of using meta-commentary there was accidental.)
funny you should mention nerds, i was just talking to someone about the difference between nerds and hipsters and i think it's the sincerity of the thing being enjoyed. Nerds and hipsters can like almost exactly the same things but in different ways. for instance, a hipster can watch an old Godzilla movie and love it ironically, deriving joy from pointing out how cheesy the effects are, and how hoky the rubber suits are and how bad the plot is, whereas an kaiju nerd can love the same movie warts and all, despite and indeed sometimes BECAUSE all those elements are there, it "just wouldn't be X if it didn't have Y".
Nerds take pride in loving things no one else likes/knows about because a shared sense of outsiderhood is part of the culture.
Hipsters appropriate things no one else likes/knows about in an attempt to be the most Interesting Mysterious Person in the Room
Hipsters keep the things they like at a distance, Nerds smother the things they love like an overly attached girlfriend.
Hipsters Do it all to be hip and cool and up on the latest underground trends, Nerds do it to show love for their beloved things, and don't care if it's not cool. If fact, it's better if it's not cool, coolness is the ENEMY.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 03, 2014, 06:07:38 PM
for instance, a hipster can watch an old Godzilla movie and love it ironically, deriving joy from pointing out how cheesy the effects are, and how hoky the rubber suits are and how bad the plot is,

And then Roger was a Hipster.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Chelagoras The Boulder on February 03, 2014, 06:07:38 PM
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on February 03, 2014, 12:56:21 PM

funny you should mention nerds, i was just talking to someone about the difference between nerds and hipsters and i think it's the sincerity of the thing being enjoyed. Nerds and hipsters can like almost exactly the same things but in different ways. for instance, a hipster can watch an old Godzilla movie and love it ironically, deriving joy from pointing out how cheesy the effects are, and how hoky the rubber suits are and how bad the plot is, whereas an kaiju nerd can love the same movie warts and all, despite and indeed sometimes BECAUSE all those elements are there, it "just wouldn't be X if it didn't have Y".
Nerds take pride in loving things no one else likes/knows about because a shared sense of outsiderhood is part of the culture.
Hipsters appropriate things no one else likes/knows about in an attempt to be the most Interesting Mysterious Person in the Room
Hipsters keep the things they like at a distance, Nerds smother the things they love like an overly attached girlfriend.
Hipsters Do it all to be hip and cool and up on the latest underground trends, Nerds do it to show love for their beloved things, and don't care if it's not cool. If fact, it's better if it's not cool, coolness is the ENEMY.

Who gets to decide who goes in which category?