News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 24, 2017, 09:04:53 PM
Quote from: the Tart on March 24, 2017, 08:14:46 PM
Quote from: Salty on March 23, 2017, 06:19:17 PM
Hey new Spag! Welcome.

Well, thank you. I'd love to stay and play but as you can see I'm hard at work.

So we've  got Salty and Tart here. We just need sweet, bitter, and glutamate.

I just had to go and Google "the sixth flavor" initially vaguely thinking I could make a Prince joke based on your avatar Nigel...

Then I found several articles about "oleogustus" apparently also known as "awful". The taste of oxidized fat.

http://www.eater.com/2015/8/3/9090099/scientists-fat-sixth-taste

And this led me to "Emperor Fatberg Oleogustus, the Awful" as a character concept and then I hit "post" before it gets any worse.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 24, 2017, 09:45:51 PM
(snip)

And this led me to "Emperor Fatberg Oleogustus, the Awful" as a character concept and then I hit "post" before it gets any worse.

:lulz:
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey new Spag! Welcome.

I just had to go and Google "the sixth flavor" initially vaguely thinking I could make a Prince joke based on your avatar Nigel...

Then I found several articles about "oleogustus" apparently also known as "awful". The taste of oxidized fat.

I'll buy it when they identify a receptor for it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 26, 2017, 02:18:27 AM
Hey new Spag! Welcome.

If I have understood that first part of this correctly there are receptors.

https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article/40/7/507/400784/Oleogustus-The-Unique-Taste-of-Fat

most of the technical stuff and experimental description is beyond me, but it would seem that most of the qualifications are in order. I totally wouldn't have thought to look into it if you hadn't said something and had to get pretty specific with the search thread to eventually find this.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on March 26, 2017, 02:42:54 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 26, 2017, 02:18:27 AM
Hey new Spag! Welcome.

If I have understood that first part of this correctly there are receptors.

https://academic.oup.com/chemse/article/40/7/507/400784/Oleogustus-The-Unique-Taste-of-Fat

most of the technical stuff and experimental description is beyond me, but it would seem that most of the qualifications are in order. I totally wouldn't have thought to look into it if you hadn't said something and had to get pretty specific with the search thread to eventually find this.

Nope. I looked at the studies they cite and they offer some limited support for the possibility of fat-specific taste receptors in rats.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The cellular mechanisms that transduce environmental stimuli into relevant neuronal signaling pathways are my specific subfield in neurobiology, and what I do is test proposed signaling pathways to find out whether the proposition holds water, so my first question is always "show me the pathway". There certainly could be primary taste receptors for unpleasant fatty acids in humans, I am just not comfortable accepting the specific claim without evidence that is a little better than circumstantial.

Junkenstein

My heritage forces me to take umbrage at the concept of oxidized fat being classed as "awful". Culinary heathens the lot of you.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 26, 2017, 09:05:18 PM
The cellular mechanisms that transduce environmental stimuli into relevant neuronal signaling pathways are my specific subfield in neurobiology, and what I do is test proposed signaling pathways to find out whether the proposition holds water, so my first question is always "show me the pathway". There certainly could be primary taste receptors for unpleasant fatty acids in humans, I am just not comfortable accepting the specific claim without evidence that is a little better than circumstantial.

:lol: And so my IF once again proves a "nope, sorry newb", ah well.

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 26, 2017, 09:47:35 PM
My heritage forces me to take umbrage at the concept of oxidized fat being classed as "awful". Culinary heathens the lot of you.

So... a pint of used fryer grease that's sat long enough to get rank is... culinary orthodoxy to you??

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 26, 2017, 09:47:35 PM

Dear god, please tell me that you people don't eat rancid grease. That shit is FULL of ROS.

Junkenstein

I'm pretty sure that I could give you a mild cardiac event just by telling you what I ate the last time I went home.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Eater of Clowns

A few English delicacies:
fatberg pie - wads of coagulated sewer grease in pastry crust
mums toes - sidewalk mushrooms and stale pub beer spread on toast
fisherman's pudding - Thames dredge in Queens Justice scrotum casing
abitotheolstuff - bout two jollies of i wi a dash er what ave yer
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Junkenstein

It's much worse than that, dear clown. Around here that would be classed as  "Poxy vegan shite". If you're not offering a sliced sausage omelette done in last weeks lard with last month's eggs and last year's milk you may as well admit you don't know what cooking is round these parts. If a meal doesn't include bread cooked at least 3 separate ways each time it's just impolite to even eat. Etiquette dictates slapping those who prepared the food and going hungry.   

Just look at what long term exposure has done to P3nt for an example of long term pros and cons to the diet.

But it gets even worse still back with you lot. Roger has been tainting the Tucson food supply for years. The spores are all in relatively advanced rates of gestation and the next stage can soon begin. So have fun with that over there, it's had quite a while to spread out. I understand Sheen/ElChapo are running the 2024 presidential campaign on improving quarantine measures for survivors.

The Wizard Joseph

Bread cooked three ways.... think I can do a bit more.

Bake it.
Then TOAST IT.. blackened really
AND THEN batter and fry it.
Then cut a hole and re-fry an egg into it.
Serve with a generous dollop of ye REALLIE olde fatberg mixed with "aged" fish oil.

Think I could be an English Chef... I'm remarkably comfortable with the idea of the resulting body count.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Quote from: Freeky on March 21, 2017, 03:36:19 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 21, 2017, 01:53:00 AM
Quote from: Freeky on March 20, 2017, 05:19:41 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on March 20, 2017, 04:10:49 PM
In which we both look inexplicably young.

I see you two have been stealing souls for eternal youth, again.

Can you blame us? Souls are delicious.

I'm finding it difficult to argue with you, there.

Meanwhile, I'm suspecting I need to increase my daily intake of souls. It's not fair how good you too look. Salty looks younger than I did 5 years ago.